Super Sonic = Super Saiyan?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I thought it would qualify discussion material.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found the connection between Sonic becoming Super Sonic (Blue to Gold, quills different and out) and Goku, Vegeta, etc. becoming Super Saiyans (Black to Gold, hair same symptoms) with the only difference is how the statis is acheived, suspisious....

Both status leave the acheiver multiple times more powerful, etc. So my question is, did Sega take the idea, or is this just coincedence?

I'm pretty sure unless Kevin Smith spent a few nights hammering out some good comedic dialogue for this kind of 'discussion', it's not going to go much farther than lame and nerdy.

Also; the ending of Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty rad... Sonic needed to grab rings while Shadow fought the boss and then they switched? Sure, it doesn't make sense why they can share rings, but at least they're ring usage/power relationship was canon.

I'm pretty sure unless Kevin Smith spent a few nights hammering out some good comedic dialogue for this kind of 'discussion', it's not going to go much farther than lame and nerdy.

A few years ago I actually wrote to Viz (publishers of DBZ's US translation) about this. How's that for lame and nerdy?

I think the first appearance of a Super Saiyan was in early '91, and Sonic 2 came out in '92. The gold hair/spines is the most obvious similarity, but don't forget the eyes turning from black to green.

"It is commonly believed that the visual appearance of Super Sonic, and the means used to assume the form, are homages to the manga/anime series Dragon Ball Z, in which the heroes assume "Super Saiyan" forms with spiky, glowing yellow hair along with green eyes. The quest for the seven mystical Dragon Balls, is also comparable to the seven Chaos Emeralds. If this is true, it is likely that the number of Chaos Emeralds was increased from six to seven for the first game with Super Sonic to match the seven Dragon Balls. When asked if comments were received from Akira Toriyama about this, Yuji Naka smiled and said no.[12]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sonic#Trivia

Guess that means Super Saiyins came first, then?

It's not just Sonic that knocks off the Super Sayian thing. G Gundam does it too, with its Super Mode and Hyper Mode. G Gundam, for the record, originally aired from April '94 to March '95.

I know the series Dragonball came out before Sonic 2 did (the first where you could become Super Sonic) but I don't know if Super Saiyans did?

but yeah, I think it is something cultural.

The obvious psychoanalysis-type answer is the fact that basically everyone in Japan has black hair and brown eyes, so someone with light (eg blond) hair and bright (eg blue/green) eyes is obviously "special" -- and thus Super Sayians, Super Sonic, and Super Robots all turn Aryan when they enter a stage of ultimate asskicking power.

Of course, I can't say if there's actualy anything to that or it's so much Freudian BS. But it's the first answer that comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...