FLMC - Fruity Loops Music Competition 6: Power Plant

DDRKirby(ISQ)

FLMC6: "Power Plant"

VOTING STAGE HAS STARTED! (see page 5)

A brief recap of the rules for FLMC:

-You arrange music in FL Studio, using only the effects + generators that come with FL Studio. No VSTs or external samples.

-No Sytrus.

-No Wasp.

-No Soundfont Player.

-However, for this installment of FLMC, you may use the samples provided in this pack.

here's the links to the FLMC6 Pack:

http://iosquad2.googlepages.com/FLMC6Pack.zip

http://download.yousendit.com/1A5BF8836D587472

http://rapidshare.com/files/19870433/FLMC6Pack.zip.html

overview of the Pack:

==some crash cymbals because FL doesn't come with any good ones

==lots of random FX in case you want to experiment with the theme

==and a few loops, notably many variations on "thebeat"--watch out for #5, it'll eat you for lunch.

==and a demo loop flp to demonstrate (hastily thrown together)

-You must provide an FLP file (preferably in the form of a zipped project file). No exceptions.

-You may create either an original work or a remix.

-You can enter as many songs as you want, as long as they're all submitted by the deadline.

Official deadline is April 6, 2007. (4/6/07)

That gives you a month, although I can do extensions if people are being slow.

This FLMC has no source tune for remixing--instead I've provided a theme, "Power Plant". You can interpret this any way you want, as long as you try to incorporate it into your song in some way or another. You may want to stick an FL notebook in your project trying to explain what you tried to do.

For a great example of how something like this can be done, take a look at BGC's Shattered Dreams entry for FLMC3:

http://iosquad2.googlepages.com/BGC-ShatteredDream.zip

And with that, let the mixing begin! Good luck! I know using a theme may make the creative process a little harder, but it's definitely possible! If all else fails, heck, just make something cool.

(4/6/07)

Oh hey, my b-day. I would love to try participating in this since switching to FL, but having a wide-open canvas isn't as inspiring as being challenged by limitations like PRC, imo. Any chance you may narrow down the premise like last time?

Also, more serious question - is there an archive of past FLMCs anywhere?

Oh hey, my b-day. I would love to try participating in this since switching to FL, but having a wide-open canvas isn't as inspiring as being challenged by limitations like PRC, imo. Any chance you may narrow down the premise like last time?

Also, more serious question - is there an archive of past FLMCs anywhere?

I dunno, what Prophecy did with FLMC2 and FLMC4 was make midis that you could choose from to remix, but i know that FLMC3 didn't have any specified source tune and it seemed to work. Think of it as TOMC or CMC, but with a twist (limited tools to work with). =) if you want you can set your own restrictions (either way -someone- is going to have to start your idea, whether it be me or you)...

Sadly I don't think there's an archive of the past FLMCs, and most of them got lost along with the forum update. I still have a good number of the songs from the previous compos, but i'm not sure I have all of them from FLMC1.

I've been waiting for one with an original theme for a while now, I might jump in on this.

Question: FL7 comes with some new samples, are those allowed?

really? i just recently upgraded and i didn't see any new ones.

i guess it's fine, as long as everyone else is okay with it. They'll get stuck in the zip file anyways. for those of you who dont have 7.0 yet for some resaon...we can just render to mp3.

Would it be acceptable to edit an instrument line in FL, then export the pattern as a .wav, then import the same .wav into the project. I'm wondering because of when you say "No external samples" Does that count as external if the sample is created entirely with FL?

Would it be acceptable to edit an instrument line in FL, then export the pattern as a .wav, then import the same .wav into the project. I'm wondering because of when you say "No external samples" Does that count as external if the sample is created entirely with FL?

That's fine, as long as the exported wav is still made using only FL defaults. If the pattern isn't part of your actual project, it'd also be nice if you could include it as a separate .flp file.

Thanks for the speedy reply DDr... But I got two more questions

Are vocals allowed too? And may I use your trance instruments in your demo flp? xD I'm clueless when it comes to making trance instruments from scratch.

Since we aren't allowing you to record any external samples (the whole point is to restrict yourself to a minimal toolset), you can't use vocals, unless you want to use the speech synthesizer (which isn't really "vocals") or unless you're talking about the vocals that are included with FL (in packs/vocals). those are fine.

As for the synths in my demo flp, well, if you really want, go ahead and use them, but there's only 3 synths and I didn't even spend much time at all making them. I'd highly recommend learning to use 3xOsc, it's great. TS404 can be useful sometimes too, but 3xOsc has always been my mainstay.

Here's my entry.

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/Bundeslang-PowerAlarm.mp3

and the FLP File: http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PowerAlarm.zip

Due the lack of free time I only spend a few hours on this, I also didn't found enough time to spend on the tutorial you (DDRKirby(ISQ)) send to me, I'll sure do that later, thanks again for it.

I submitted this entry to not let the FLMC down and hopefully some others feel motivated to beat this song. It's not difficult, good luck.

Also, are the samples provided by Prophecy (used in FLMC4 and FLMC5) allowed. Not that I used them, but I just want to know.

• 2 weeks later...