*NO* Lemmings 'Revival'

djpretzel

I've never played Lemmings, but that doesn't matter as this piece is solid.

The drums are good as they occasionally switch up and don't remain exactly the same throughout the duration of the mix. The strings are a nice instrument choice and I agree with rob1 on the orchestral hits. They help to keep things from getting boring to early.

The voice samples that open and close the song are a cute addition and they also breathe a little personality into the song. Post it. Yes.

I pretty much agree with what's been said. Though the bass really grated when it started out solo, the other instruments came in and it was all good. I wish it were longer, but there's enough development here to make it worthwhile on it's own. The only thing I really don't like is the unresolved ending.

But overall, this gets a YES.

The quality is good, and the synths well chosen. The drum beat changes quite often with fills and such, which brings the piece up a level. The orchestra hits are a good idea, and are mixed in well with the rest of the song.

The mix is a little short, and the ending is unsatisfying, but other than that, this is a good remix.

YES.

NO

A cute little arrangement.. That bassline bothers me. Go fire up

"tekno wily". Sounds like it's a default instrument somewhere. I really

think we need to start raising our standards here, define ourselves as

more of a premiere music site. Granted that the default instrument sounds

just fine in the mix, the drums are a little over powering. As with other

current submissions, I'd vote yes if this were re-mastered. I know my

vote of NO isn't going to keep this from getting posted in light

of the number of yes's voted so far, so I'm just stating my opinion for

the record.

I'd have to agree with Cotmm when he says NO and for mostly the same reasons. While, it's got potential (whether that's inherent in the original or in the mix, I don't know) it's very shoddily put together and VERY unpolished. Especially the ending. I've written music as have all of you. What happens when we get to a point in a song where we don't know where to go next? We either come up with an ending that usually sounds like crap or we just stop work on the song. And when we stop work on the song, what does the ending sound like? Like this. I say, once again, NO because it's unfinished and unpolished.

Please guys can we make a rule that the remix needs to be FINISHED before it can be submitted? I would really like to see this put into play because this is one of the biggest killers of a good song. The lack of ending. That sound like "well, this is all I have done now, so sorry it sort of drops off like that." I've seen the Beatles do this tastefully and a handful of others, but usually on a bonus track or something, not usually on the ONLY track there. Anyway, PLEASE consider changing your mind on this one. We have too many unfinished tracks on this site as it is.

DC

In case I hadn't made it clear, my vote is NO

something else. I'm starting to wonder if DJP is not only giving us the tracks he is unsure about but also the ones that he's more than sure he doesn't want up there, but doesn't want to be the one to break it to the people who did them. Not sure. Anyway, these are just my thoughts.

Cotmm, in regards to your question, I'm pretty sure it's a default bass sound from Fruity Loops. Listen to Mellogear's Journey to Silius mix for reference.

DC

Not bad' date=' not bad, although it's not anything especially stellar.

I actually liked the orchestra hits. The whole thing is a little loud, I suppose that's what volume control is for though.

Overall I like it and I will listen to it again, I hope others feel the same.[/quote']

Okay, I've had some time to listen to this again (I was feeling rushed the first time I commented about this mix, and didn't focus my attention on it wholly) and I think I'm actually going to have to go with a no.

I enjoy this mix, but the ending is a problem. In fact, it's the major problem at this point, I find myself agreeing with Dan, it sounds as though the mixer just couldn't come up with anything else, and ended it. In the middle of a bar even.

I don't mind the default bass sample, while I have heard it in the other mixes mentioned here, I think that it fits this mix pretty good.

The drums are a little loud, they could do with some volume tweaking, but are good otherwise. In fact the whole mix seems to be, on a whole, louder than most, but that might just be me.

And if there's one thing I could toss in, I think it would be to possibly lengthen the mix, if this is possible without making it tedious and/or repetitive.

Overall I can still say I really like this mix. But after listening to it several times looped I just can't get over that ending. It just leaves you hanging.

Vote: No.

There have been maybe two mixes that I didn't even waste your time with, and in other cases people have tried to submit five mxies at the same time and I've only posted one, but those are the only instances of that happening. Idea is definitely to give people feedback.

Now, as for this mix - not posting. It's very borderline, but it sounds like people are swaying towards changing their votes, etc.

But let me add something - your standards are for you to decide on yourselves, individually. If the judges panel starts coming up with rules like 'we won't accept pieces with incomplete endings' (which is subjective, btw.) then the benefit of having seven *different* people deteriorates. An ending can be an extremely important part of the song, no argument, but I don't believe three minutes of great music can be foiled by a mediocre ending. Certainly, it can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, but that also is subjective. I recommend judging pieces as a whole and just going off of whether you think they are up to snuff with the recent trend of other mixes that have been posted. It's you who determine the borderline, as the mixes I post directly are (I hope at least 90% of the time) pretty definite "yesses".

Some of this is difficult - did the remixer MEAN to end the piece this way? Did he run out of ideas? Or maybe he really did think this was the best way to end the piece, for whatever reason? To me, guessing at the intentions of the creator is fairly futile. What I recommend asking instead is: one way or another, whether this ending is intentional or not, does it affect the whole of the mix so much so that I don't think it should be posted?

That's a question only you can answer, but leaping to conclusions about someone's intentions in my experience isn't the best way to evaluate.

That being said, that's just MY take on things, and you're here for YOURS, so take everything I say with a grain of salt - I'd like to provide some guidance, but stay largely out of your way.

Let me know if I overstep my bounds, or if you think I'm understepping as well.