OC ReMix vocal competition...

Malcos

For those of you that didn't know, there is an OC Remix vocal competition, hosted by Pixie and I (we alternate as hosts). This is round 2, and this round is currently in the voting stage. For more info on how to listen to the entries and vote:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7382

Hopefully this will mean that we can get more votes, and more entrants to the next round!:grin:

I'm doing this with the Fan Art Competition. No one cares about it anymore.

Seriously djp please let up put these back in GenDisc.

Ok this is just to compare this month to last month. Last month; thread had 155 replies and 6,904 views, while this month had 107 replies and 2,456 views (and this FAC actually covered a month and a half...). Last month had 22 votes and there were 11 this month.

just sayin...

click my sig for this months compo its METROID

Tch, fine, if others are doing it, I will.

Don't forget to check out the Street fighter alpha 3 competition in the compo forum. Sign ups will be extended to the end of the month to get people in.

also, BRING THIS SHIZ BACK TO GENDISC CAUSE THAT COMPO FORUM IS WHACK

I still don't get why people don't visit the competition threads as much as they used to when there were no subforums. I mean technically...they're still within the general discussion only it's categorized now thus making threads much easier to find.

Anyway, it's too bad Round 2 didn't get as much coverage as the last round. Still though, I think it's better that we're 4 entries since each participant has a fighting chance to shine. It would be cool if we get lots of votes, though. I also hope that there's a discussion on the entries after the winners are announced.

About 3 days left until voting closes off, people. Go to that thread and listen to the music. NOW.

Most competition are getting the same amount of views/posts and entries as they were in Gen Disc. Some are getting even more.

If your oompetition entrants are low, then advertise your competitions to people. Ask them to join. Some competitions just won't generate many entries no matter where they are. The Vocal competition is a good example of this namely because there are far fewer people who can sing in this community.

Most competition are getting the same amount of views/posts and entries as they were in Gen Disc. Some are getting even more.

If your oompetition entrants are low, then advertise your competitions to people. Ask them to join. Some competitions just won't generate many entries no matter where they are. The Vocal competition is a good example of this namely because there are far fewer people who can sing in this community.

Good point. Well made.

An idea, and one that possibly may be silly, but still; perhaps there should be a gen disc thread (a sticky, maybe?) just for competition reminders for those of us who need our memory jogged for this kind of thing. Seems like that would almost defeat the purpose of having a second forum, but it could serve as something of a compromise for what Atmuh's been screamin.

Ok this is just to compare this month to last month. Last month; thread had 155 replies and 6,904 views, while this month had 107 replies and 2,456 views (and this FAC actually covered a month and a half...). Last month had 22 votes and there were 11 this month.

just sayin...

:?:1234512.jpg

If your oompetition entrants are low, then advertise your competitions to people. Ask them to join.

I actually, very much agree with you... but, I think that it might be necessary to facilitate a manner in which to advertise the various competitions (i.e. a sticky thread in Gen Disc a la RealFolkBlues' comment, front page links like SoloGamer said, etc.) within OCR. I know for me, the process of advertising is incredibly demanding and time consuming. It's for this reason that some competition leaders have burnt out over time. Having a system by which a competition leader can advertise without having to personally generate the media necessary or track down individual people would be extremely helpful to the success of these competitions. It might even be helpful to the success of the site in the long run.

I'd rather have it the way it is, where all the subforums are at the top, than to remove that and replace it with a sticky.

Part of me agrees that the comps forum isn't good for exposure, but ultimately I think that front-page coverage would completely remove that feeling from my mind.

The big issue I have is that non-mods/non-judges like myself, who have legitimate, long-running, and strong contests get to see our exposure weaken

Meanwhile a limited-in-scope contest like this one or the Diablo II league isn't going to get their 'gendisc exposure' thread moved because a 'person of influence' is in charge.

If Malcos and Pixie can do it with this thing - how come I can't spam the rest of the boards when the deadline for the new chess tournament is up? Oh, and I do recruit - trust me.

This is no democracy.

Don't like it? you're welcome to leave.

I'm saving you the pain of hearing it from a mod/judge who will truly mean it.

and before' date=' people were complaining because competitions were lost in the gendisc regular thread flow. :roll: always complaining as usual.[/quote']

I've kept myself from saying anything until now. And not just because of Douli, but because of everything in this thread.

While the competition forum was a nice idea to separate everything, it limits the exposure. Especially people who, unlike myself, don't habitually check certain forums every time they log on. At the moment, you have to specifically be looking for competitions to be in the competition thread.

So if you are someone who specifically looks for competitions, it's great because there is no more leafing through pages of forums to find the comp thread you're looking for, but on the other hand, it becomes very hard to stumble upon. Even the sub-forums at the top get easily overlooked by a large portion of the community, especially of any of the members have been using forums for a while. Any kind of forums, vBulletin, phpBB, Invision Powerboard, or anything. Things that are most often overlooked are sub-forums and stickies/announcements. Everyone wants to get straight to the thread information, and don't go to a sub-forum unless they're looking specifically for the topic of that sub-forum.

So yes, while it makes it convenient for those who are looking for competitions, it limits exposure. Maybe a little front page exposure wouldn't be bad? A sticky probably wouldn't help, but an occasional thread in GenDisc as a reminder of a comp starting, ending, and votes ending wouldn't be a bad idea. If all of the flaming and the aggression can stop, then this would be a great way to get exposure. And occasional front page exposure when the thread is on the top of the list?

I've kept myself from saying anything until now. And not just because of Douli, but because of everything in this thread.

While the competition forum was a nice idea to separate everything, it limits the exposure. Especially people who, unlike myself, don't habitually check certain forums every time they log on. At the moment, you have to specifically be looking for competitions to be in the competition thread.

So if you are someone who specifically looks for competitions, it's great because there is no more leafing through pages of forums to find the comp thread you're looking for, but on the other hand, it becomes very hard to stumble upon. Even the sub-forums at the top get easily overlooked by a large portion of the community, especially of any of the members have been using forums for a while. Any kind of forums, vBulletin, phpBB, Invision Powerboard, or anything. Things that are most often overlooked are sub-forums and stickies/announcements. Everyone wants to get straight to the thread information, and don't go to a sub-forum unless they're looking specifically for the topic of that sub-forum.

So yes, while it makes it convenient for those who are looking for competitions, it limits exposure. Maybe a little front page exposure wouldn't be bad? A sticky probably wouldn't help, but an occasional thread in GenDisc as a reminder of a comp starting, ending, and votes ending wouldn't be a bad idea. If all of the flaming and the aggression can stop, then this would be a great way to get exposure. And occasional front page exposure when the thread is on the top of the list?

I still don't agree that any stickies in GenDisc would be any good.

I also don't want THIS KIND OF THREAD either.

Competitions would greatly benefit from front-page exposure.

How difficult can it be to list the four most recent like we have with announcements?

And let's not let this get mired in administration for 18 months like the vB switch.

I think it's fine to have a competitions forum.

I don't agree though, that threads like this are created in gendisc to pull attention to competitions, specially since it hasn't been deleted, which would have been the case with other competitions if they had started a thread. This breaks the whole purpose of having the competitions forums. Why do we have a competition forums if people can still create threads about the competition in gendisc anyways? Moreso, why wasn't this thread deleted right away? I wonder if I had made a thread to pull attention towards the last ORC would have lasted more than a couple of minutes without being removed.

I think it's fine to have a competitions forum.

I don't agree though, that threads like this are created in gendisc to pull attention to competitions, specially since it hasn't been deleted, which would have been the case with other competitions if they had started a thread. This breaks the whole purpose of having the competitions forums. Why do we have a competition forums if people can still create threads about the competition in gendisc anyways? Moreso, why wasn't this thread deleted right away? I wonder if I had made a thread to pull attention towards the last ORC would have lasted more than a couple of minutes without being removed.

WE bought into the competitions thread idea - why can't the judges too?

TO isn't using his title to break the rules, so why do you have to?

EDIT: Nuts, I totally agree with what you're saying, I hope you don't think I'm disagreeing - I just thought I said all this already! See above...

and before' date=' people were complaining because competitions were lost in the gendisc regular thread flow. :roll: always complaining as usual.[/quote']

my compo freaking rocked when it was in gendisc

I never complained about it being there.

the problem is that only the people that are currently interested in it check the thread. When it was here people would see a Zelda/Pokemon/FFVI/whatever thread and be interested immediately. I think maybe MUSIC competitions do better in the other board but compos like mine (and I think the album art one also) would just do better if they were sitting in gendisc.

oh and don't say I don't advertise because for the love of god I do

my compo freaking rocked when it was in gendisc

I never complained about it being there.

the problem is that only the people that are currently interested in it check the thread. When it was here people would see a Zelda/Pokemon/FFVI/whatever thread and be interested immediately. I think maybe MUSIC competitions do better in the other board but compos like mine (and I think the album art one also) would just do better if they were sitting in gendisc.

oh and don't say I don't advertise because for the love of god I do

i'am aware that some of the competitions have a hard time staying under spotlight because of the subforum.