OCR01560 - Final Fantasy X "Lake in Ontario?"

djpretzel

This mix... this mix! All across the world, this mix is going to be the common ground between teenage gamers and their fathers. Somehow, you've done it. You have taken a video game song and made it sound like late 70s progressive rock. I don't know how you pulled it off, but you did, and good GOD is it awesome.

Anyway, fucking GENIUS. Please make more like this. PLEASE.

I love this remix - amazing work. it's got a new-jazz/pat methany/bela fleck/joe cocker (who isn't really a jazz musician) kind of feel. Of all of the instruments, I really love the way you've mixed the vibes and guitars; the vibes just give this awesome shimmer to your guitar sound.

Amazing groove, pulse, note placement - very delicious. Also, your patches are amazing... unless of course, this is all live, which would explain your awesome sounds, especially your drums.

(sorry for all the jazz talk, just got back from the Brandon Jazz Festival, which is only a 4 hour drive from the Ontario border... but like, 20 hours from Lake Ontario, lol)

Keep up the amazing work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I don't really know what to say about this one. It's got a great feel. I just get happy listening to it. Feels like a cool sunny day in the city. I also totally agree with pixietricks (quoted on the main page of this track) about the outro. The fanfare really brings it back to Final Fantasy. Well done!

..I didn't review this?

This is one of my favorites on OCR actually. Ilari is both an amazing instrumentalist and superb arranger. His style is quite unique, using elements from older progressive rock and coupling with a distinct live jazz setup. This arrangement is wonderful, the melody is kept pretty much intact but the general feel is completely altered. The different riffs complement eachother in a great way, playing with the polyrhythmic structure of the original song. Did I mention I love the choice of instruments? Great!

The mixing is, in my humble opinion, amazing. Everything sounds organic and "live". While it might not be the perfect mixing if you look at how the modern record sounds it's certainly very unique, enjoyable and almost vintage. Reminds me of a lot of old recordings with bands like Zeppelin where they used some unorthodox mixing with great success.

Everyone should listen to this. It's a great piece all around and brings some very unique style to OCR. ilp0 man, MAJOR props.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A fantastic mix, among my favorites, it's a ton of fun and I'm often whistling it. Which is further impressive because I never really took any notice of the original while playing FFX. Well done.

Does anyone actually know why it's called Lake in Ontario?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Mark down another victory for ilp0! Great production style that's clean but still powerful (and dare I say almost a bit too high on the rms?). The arrangement here is great, and the instruments and panning are perfect. Good changes, rhythmic shifts, and all that goodness. The flow is smooth, and the middle section is a nice breath of fresh air, complete with piano runs.

Extra points for the cute ending that switches up the victory theme. Classy. :-)

Good stuff, sir.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice way to brighten up the place. Lots of kinetic energy and lively jazz sounds going towards something that isn't as jazzy as one might expect. It's an interesting mix with its own identity and agenda, and I respect that.

The live sound has been captured brilliantly, and while the fairly large shift in tone from the original makes this sound a little quirky, it nonetheless works at holding interest and fitting the melody.

The late inclusion of a mellowed battle theme is just icing on a nicely made, cool sounding jazz-rock treatment, of which I think is an overly somber series of soundtracks. I always welcome a little illumination into the sounds of Final Fantasy.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01560 - Final Fantasy X "Lake in Ontario?"