Tim Follin: Dirge for the Follin - Musician Recruitment

Liontamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*OverCoat (Plok - "Telefon Akrilic"): Won't lie in that I actually preferred this before some of the changes that were done. The stuttering in the intro was cooler in the previous version. Still noticeable light pops in several place during the quiet section (e.g. 1:31-1:32, 1:36-1:37, 1:43-1:44, 1:48). Then ending at 2:15 drags and starts sounding...unmusical. I'd have preferred the previous ending. Honestly though, those are all minor thing based on taste. If you wanna call this the done deal, it's a done deal. Nice work, bro.

*Andy Jayne (L.E.D. Storm - "Smooth Operand"): What's an Operand? :-) Timing's fairly rigid with the percussion and bassline which in this context doesn't sound very good. The overall texture is decent but feels like it needs something to help pad it out. I like the concept. There's definitely a brief melody in the original that comes in after the groove has gone on for a while; it's ripe for expansion/interpretation and would fit nicely with the short melodic ideas you've got so far. In fact, the 1:32-long WIP so far actually sounds like a good lead-in to an eventual transition to that source melody. In any case, lots of promise here. Not feeling the mechanical timing, but that can be worked on.

*Another Soundscape (Spider-Man & The X-Men - "Storm Follin"): That's some pretty nice drum programming, and I like the personalization ideas so far. Beyond the background structure, I hope more ideas directly derived from the source tune are introduced as well. There's some good stuff in the SPC starting at 1:17 that I'm sure would fit well. Beyond 1:17, you honestly have your pick as to what other ideas from the original you wanna build upon, as there are a ton of composition ideas to choose from. So it goes when working with Follin's excellent material. Keep up the progress, bro.

*VQ (Scumball - WIP 5a): Minimalist in that the instrumentation isn't meant to punch you in the face. Still love the phrasing of the strings first used from :55-1:00. Could be brighter though, they lack a lot of presence. Same as 1:50 when they're brought back in.

When the beatwork patterns switched up at 1:55 left a fair amount of empty space; the pattern is interesting, but you still need something to fill things out a bit more for that background.

Not a fan of the tone on those low bowed strings at 3:23. Just something about them that doesn't seem to fit within the track.

The track might need some compression to beef it up, but an overall volume raise may be all you really need. I'd ask someone better suited to answer questions about that.

I see the deliberate pacing you're going for, and also hear the dynamic shifts you're going for from section to section. IMO though, the dynamic changes aren't pronounced enough to really drive the track along and give it a sense of going from point A to B. Holler at someone for a second opinion.

I think with a few more ideas put into place, this would realize a lot more of its potential, Witold. Good stuff so far. While the arrangement does indeed feel on the liberal side, you can always rein it back in by using some of the original ideas more closely/overtly; perhaps you may discover an idea for padding out the track that way.

I'm looking at doing a Kiwi Adventure mix, We'll see if I can handle all those notes.

I have to say I'm not really familiar with his work, but after checking all these songs, the dude is a total keyboard maniac. I havn't heard so many wheedily-wheedilies in a long time.

\m/

The more, the merrier. Get on board with something if you're coming up with ideas, Andy.

*Another Soundscape (Spider-Man & The X-Men - "Storm Follin"): That's some pretty nice drum programming, and I like the personalization ideas so far. Beyond the background structure, I hope more ideas directly derived from the source tune are introduced as well. There's some good stuff in the SPC starting at 1:17 that I'm sure would fit well. Beyond 1:17, you honestly have your pick as to what other ideas from the original you wanna build upon, as there are a ton of composition ideas to choose from. So it goes when working with Follin's excellent material. Keep up the progress, bro.

Thanks for the feedback LT, already updated this a bit. I took to an orchestral level but I don't know if I'm all that happy with it. I will send you the WiP when I have some time on my hands and you can tell me what you think. Otherwise I'll try to fine tune what I have and implement (is that even a word?) something from the next part i a GRAND FINALE sort of way :)

One of my thoughts with the orchestral part was making it a loop, exporting it and importing it in Dr.REX so I can do some awesome loop breaks and cuts. I hope you enjoy this idea. :)

The more, the merrier. Get on board with something if you're coming up with ideas, Andy.

There are so many notes that it is going to take forever to transcribe this by ear, so i have a request.

Is it possible for someone to rip the Kiwi Kraze title screen music from the chiptune file for me please?

I can't find anything at zophar's that works with OS 10.3 :/

There are so many notes that it is going to take forever to transcribe this by ear, so i have a request.

Is it possible for someone to rip the Kiwi Kraze title screen music from the chiptune file for me please?

I can't find anything at zophar's that works with OS 10.3 :/

That's not even possible is it? :o

Sadly if you can't FIND a midi you have to do it by ear. life's hard.

ok, I found a midi of it, and luckily it was the only one sequenced.

I would have done it myself, but there isn't an nsf>midi program for the mac that worked; sorry if I sounded like I sounded like a little bitch whith entitlement issues, it's just that this song is one run after another.

check it:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/kiwi-g.mid

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to join.

This is some of my music, I hope it's useful as reference.

http://media.putfile.com/Prometheus-The-Long-Way-Home

http://media.putfile.com/Prometheus-TheFrozenWind

http://media.putfile.com/Prometheus-ForsakenV2

http://media.putfile.com/Prometheus-TheHouse-v3

although i can do rock too

http://media.putfile.com/ADNuevaa

And even some sort of Electronic/Jazz

http://media.putfile.com/Prometheus-The-Crackpot

So, please tell me if you're interested.

Regards,

John

• 5 weeks later...

listened to a few soundtracks, couldn't find much I thought I could do anything with... any suggestions?

I'm...mildly interested in track three from sky shark, but the original suggests that it would be okay to just yank out the chord progression and then improvise terrible guitar solos over top... and that's probably inexcusable.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey LT,

As part of PRC99, I worked on this song from the OST of Silver Surfer by Tim Follin. If it's still availble, I'd like to join up on the project and continue working on the track.

Excellent. The track's already come a long way in just PRC99, so I'm looking forward to seeing how else you spruce it up. Definitely keep us informed of your progress and welcome aboard.