Citris

I saw this movie at 10:30 last night with 9 of my friends. I have to say that I never really has as much fun watching an action movie before as I did watching 300. I loved the guitar riffs playing during some of the battle scenes and the creative Persian monsters that saturated the screen at some points in the film. The film does take a little while to get going, but I don't want to say too much about it.

The bottom line is:

This film was metal.

Does anyone else think that the spartan who had the bandana wrapped around his head could play a totally wicked Solid Snake? Seriously, he totally looked the part for it. Quick, someone send Kojima a snapshot of him.

Other than that, I got all that I wanted out of this movie, loads of great action, boobies ;-), and even more awesome action. I did want to see the battle at the end, but I knew they weren't going to show it.

He played Faramir in The Two Towers/Return of the King. Pretty cool dude.

Sounds like someone has an inferiority complex and got beat up a lot.

It's cool though if they would have rather spent their money on Strawberry Shortcake.

Well, they said they loved the action and all the fighting, but according to them, the forced & cliched dialogue dragged it down. He said he would have preferred more fighting. :P

i think that 300 is one the most amazing films, visualy, that i've seen. even though it was gory, it was super-stylized so it just made it way cooler. i dont believe i've had that much fun watching an action movie in a long time. Gerald Butler was great, CG was pretty nice and the score was rockin'. if you havnt seen it yet, dont expect the best movie ever made but it's worth a watch or even 2.

Well, they said they loved the action and all the fighting, but according to them, the forced & cliched dialogue dragged it down. He said he would have preferred more fighting. :P

Personally, I would never take a school paper movie critic srsly.

I wish Ebert was in better health so I could read his opinion on the movie. Whoever reviewed it in his place for the Chicago Sun Times gave it 4 stars, which I was delightfully surprised by. Just checked, turned out it was Roeper who gave it 4 stars. Impressive.

I so wanted the movie to be a silent movie - that would have been epic. But alas, there's dialogue so it's only gonna make the experience painful for me.

Saw it. Loved it.

I often argue that Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" is brilliant in fully realizing a medieval passion play. And here, I think 300 succeeds in fully realizing those old war chronicles a la The Battle of Maldon, The Song of Roland, Three Kingdoms, The Iliad etc. etc.

It tells the story in all its exaggerated, hyperbolic glory---just as it was originally handed down to us.

I f'ing loved it. It was nice for me as I had only seen the commercial once or twice and never even really caught the name of the movie until I was invited to go see it with some friends. Needless to say, it exceeded my expectations.

Something that I noticed that I thought was really cool was how the blood seemed to have the same solid shade of red throughout the whole movie (and the credits for that matter), kinda adding to the stylish comic book goodness of it all. That and it wasn't just ridiculous, like a certain Kill Bill. I highly suggest you see it even just for the hell of it. It's not necessarily something to take seriously, just something that's extremely worth seeing.

That was great, and we got to yell "stfu" at someone talking on his phone (he wasn't even trying to hide his voice, loud asshole). The visuals are fantastic, fighting is great, the story is ok and doesn't really play that big of a role in raiting the film, imo. It's about action and looks and it's excellent in both

Slightly off topic, but that battle could be covered in a more serious, historical manner some other time. This version is certainly the romanticized version, God of War style.

I think they can squeeze a good semi-historical epic out of it.

Well, initially, this project was concieved at the same time as a project on making Steven Pressfield's novel Gates of Fire into a film. IMO Pressfield's account is the best portrayal of Thermopylae currently available. However, Gates has stumbled and is currently sitting in Limbo while 300 got pushed through on the wave of sucess of Sin City.

I heartily suggest anyone who is interested in the Battle of Thermopylae to read Gates.

On a completely unbiased note, I have come to the conclusion that 300 is the manliest movie ever. Period.

Well, initially, this project was concieved at the same time as a project on making Steven Pressfield's novel Gates of Fire into a film. IMO Pressfield's account is the best portrayal of Thermopylae currently available. However, Gates has stumbled and is currently sitting in Limbo while 300 got pushed through on the wave of sucess of Sin City.

I heartily suggest anyone who is interested in the Battle of Thermopylae to read Gates.

On a completely unbiased note, I have come to the conclusion that 300 is the manliest movie ever. Period.

Yeah it is pretty manly. Though at my viewing there were quite a few females there, even without boyfriends or guy friends.

Yeah it is pretty manly. Though at my viewing there were quite a few females there, even without boyfriends or guy friends.

So? Just as men have their feminine side, so do women have their masculine side. 300 is so manly, that even the most weak and womanlike pre-pubescent girl feels compelled to eat raw red meat after watching it.

So? Just as men have their feminine side, so do women have their masculine side. 300 is so manly, that even the most weak and womanlike pre-pubescent girl feels compelled to eat raw red meat after watching it.

yeah, when you watch 300 ridiculously ripped guys for 2 hours it'll do that to you.

Saw it for the second time last night. Two days, two viewings.

How many of you have read the comic? I was surprised as to how much dialog was kept in the script. The movie did the whole fleshing-out of the plot (the intrigue in the Council, although it did drag on a bit), but the comic definitely did the captain's story telling skill much better (the reason he sent him back to Sparta, it was played up better in the comic).

300 did its job, and it made no pretentious of what that job was.

It was about being kickass and manly. That's it. Historical accuracy didn't matter. Heck, even the slight moral conundrum of throwing your "useless" babies down onto a pile of mountain slagged bones didn't matter.

It was about how glorious that battle was, and what men did in the face of adversity. The end. The Persians were over-sexed "faith" mongers, and the Spartans were heartily "logical" and yet boisterous and hypocritical man-freaks that kick ass.

Anyway, my favorite scene was actually the non-violent confrontation between Xerxes and the King (I forgot his name already). It was really cool and stylized, and I liked how they basically sparred each other with words rather than some contrived "I'll meet you on the battlefield" type thing.

But 300's best quality was that it was just... silly. It did not care about being too serious about itself. It was fun, it was a celebration of all that is "manly". And it didn't try to go beyond that.

After the movie was over, I noticed that I had grown a large beard.

And you were perfectly clean shaven everywhere else on your body and you mysteriously were drenched in sweat, and dirt covered your man boobs; your biceps had grown larger then your girlfriend's head...and your stylin' 8-pack stomache was showing because your shirt was ripped off and you felt the uncomfortable feeling of wearing a leather man thong. But you didn't mind because you found an Asian/middle eastern/mutant looking person in the parking lot and stabbed him with the pointed stick you made.

...Don't worry dude... it happened to all of us.