OCR00045 - Secret of Monkey Island "AmIEviL"

• 4 months later...

This is a very cool ReMix. I've not played the original, but it just makes me feel like I'm on a pirate ship with the choice of instruments (acoustic guitar, a very pirate-like flute of some sort, etc etc). Definitely worth however long it takes to download; AmIEvil never disappoints. I must say, though, it's a hard piece to describe. Get it.

• 6 months later...

Finally, a game I have never played. This is on SNES...isnt it? I'll have to go find the game so I can make another post and review this remix with the games original. But, to the sounds of it, it made me feel like I was in some sort of runes, laying in the middle of a forest. A soft meledy swarming at you from the very beginning. A nice touch to this peice is that it isnt repetitive to the point of exaustion.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

All the Monkey Island games were on PC and all of them had extremely good music so it's asking a lot to do a good remix. I like though, gets me feeling all nostalgic. Anyone know where i can get the original? Don't want to have to play the game again just to hear the ending credit music :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've never played Monkey Island, only the Curse of Monkey Island, which I wasn't too impressed with. This track is very good, though it does seem to end too soon after introducing a new instrument. Very cool, and you can definitely bob your head to it. Well done.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Very good time. Very good game. A nice Remix.

The Good News

I liked this one. Good remake of the original, with better instruments, of course. A good job. If you have played the game, you´ll like it for sure.

The Bad News

The beginning was great, but I think the changing to the secont part was a break down with the music's atmosphere. I guess it would be a lot better, if the remixer used tribal instruments and percussion, and not modern drums and crash plates. But, anyway, it was a good shot... I recommend.

• 6 months later...

I believe I ordered mine with a little umbrella, thanks. I could enjoy this on a beach. Or a ship. This song can make a jolly outta any Roger....ok, that was bad.

I like this guy. It's a very easy listen; nothing jarring; very laid back. There's balance, emotion and no techno beat.

• 6 months later...

Ahh, this theme is so great. I've only played "Escape from Monkey Island", but this track is there too, so I know at least that this is indeed Monkey Island. I don't know what the song originally sounds like, but I bet it wasn't as chill as this remix. AmIEvil has kept the Tropical feel in this remix (or maybe he has added it, I don't know), but it's very enjoying to listen to.

The main melody does its own quiet little race in the beginning while the guitar is in the centre. there's a very wide selection of instruments used to make this, I thought I heard a accordion in the middle of it, and the marimba solo at the end was an excellent finishing touch to this piece. Just awesome and funky, I love it. :D

I just wish it had a somewhat more logical title.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty close to the original, but decent.

I'd call it pleasantly forgettable, as I can't really find a hook that grabs me.The samples themselves are pretty bland, but they are humanized enough to flow pretty well. It would be very good background music, as the melody meanders quite a bit.

Nice for atmosphere, but not especially engaging for active listening.

• 8 months later...

I've gotta give this one credit for pure nostalgic purposes. Growing up, my brother and I would visit a friend's house to watch/play computer games since we didn't have a pc of our own at the time. Monkey Island was one of those games. And, while I agree no significant new ground is broken here, hearing the themes again from this mix brought back a lot of memories. Thanks :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This melody is one of my favourite in all gaming history. And what you hear in this mix is basically that same melody with little alteration. The alterations that do occur don't really improve anything, nor extend anything beyond what was in the original. Having said that, all that is new doesn't hurt the melody either.

Had this been an annoying, simplistic source melody, I wouldn't be so forgiving that this is a remake with debatable instrumentation and an obtrusive length. The fact that the melody is fully preserved just means I get to listen to it more often, which is why I love this mix against all better judgement. And besides, it's AmIEvil. We all know what awesome things he was destined for after this.

I saw the original composers perform this live at the hollywood bowl

thank you for this pretty contribution

I want to kill you in a jealous rage!

• 9 months later...

I bought The Secret of Monkey Island: SE recently, so now I'm quasi-familiar with this source tune now. This mix definitely goes on my short, but ever growing, "Should-Have-Been" List, mixes that in their own way transcends the source and essentially are what the source should have been. Having listening to this mix first, I actually found the source lacking. Sure, it sticks as close to the source as fleas on a dog and there's not that many dramatic embellishments. But I feel all of this is just appropriate. My only other complaint is that it's too short. :razz:

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Very fitting ReMix of the the original, which I can hear. A little bit short, but it's calm and tropical, and overall has a nice sound to it. It doesn't scream "I'm gonna blow you away", but it's pleasent enough that it doesn't have to in order to sound great. Nicely done.

• 3 years later...

Yarrrrgh

My immediate reaction is 'how can you end it there?!'. It's like you introduced another interesting section and then you decide to fade it out?? Aw man.... The rest of the song seems really nice. Very chill in that old ReMix old school way, but I think it still holds up pretty well today. And that little bit of.... xylophone? at the end really adds a new neat level to the whole affair, I just wish you gave it more time to shine...! Nothing we can do now of course haha

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00045 - Secret of Monkey Island "AmIEviL"