*NO* NBA2K1 'PNL JAM'

djpretzel

I would like to submit a remix I did from the NBA2K1 Game from the Sega

Dreamcast.. it can be located at the specified URL below:

It weighs in at 5.92 Megs and is approximately 6:28 long at the standard MP3

bitrate of 128kbps. . .

I hope it gets submitted, although you may not remember... this will be my

4th attempt at submitting something, this song itself makes a second time. .

Thanks In Advance,

netsu

Yes.

I've not played NBA 2K1, so I don't know how closely this treads to the original. But this is a beautifully composed piece. It's fully layered so you're always hearing something. It's hard hitting. It's even got jingle bells (which reminds me of old school Death Row songs from the early '90's). It's one of the lengthiest mixes we've had, yet it's just barely under the limit. The fact that it's almost 6½ minutes long does make you a little sick of it by the 5th minute, but the guy chiming in that "someone has left there lights on" wakes you up a little bit. (Un)fortunately, the song is over by then. You've got an audience sample, a little play-by-play commentary going on around 4:35, and even a Janet Jackson cameo at the beginning! This is a definite poster.

I just hope it was fully composed by netsu and isn't the actually Dreamcast song with one or two instruments dropped on top of it.

Bass is way too loud, samples need lots of work, and it just sounds kinda... messy somehow. There's some variation and attempt to keep it interesting, but not enough to keep it from dragging. On the plus side, there really is some worthwhile stuff here, and the voice samples are placed well.

I'd give it a Yes, overall. It has enough merits to outweigh the problems.

And for future reference, please don't use a site that requires the judges to register in order to download your song. You may not realize it, but it really is inconsiderate (and I almost refraned from judging it until I noticed Rob posted it on his FTP). If you need a host, try www.vgmix.com.

VOTE: YES

• 2 weeks later...

The scratch sounds are some times out of beat, first thing I noticed. The kick is very hard and very loud, a little distorted too. The samples are not cheesy, and seem to be in context.

The thing I found unusual about this remix is that you have some really good sounds in it (voicy pads) , and then some very not so good ones(distorted guitar?@ 4.19). The bad samples are very off-putting, and as has already been said by some judges, the kick is a little too hard, and does distort the mix.

It's not a big NO, but a no nevertheless. If the kick wasn't so hard, the scratches on time and all the samples high quality, I would have said yes.

Sorry for the delay. Do you ever listen to a mix, know that you don't like it, but can't figure out why, so you put off voting no on it in the hopes that everyone else will vote no and thus eliminate the need for your doing so? Ok this was one of those. But I think I've figured out what I dont like it about it. First of all, as you mentioned the bass is high. Nothing wrong with some good bass. I live in ghettoville USA and on thursday and sunday nights "club boss" has "hip hop night" and so all the ghettoville citizens gather outside the club, in the parking lot, up and down broad street, in any parking lots they can find and play loud music, pimp their Cadillac Escalades, shiny chrome wheels and wicked ghetto attitudes. When Ronnie (my girlfriend) visits on one of those nights, she complains about the noise. I tell her "They're YOUR people. Go tell them to stop." (AP, you should get that one...) Anyway, my point is, I know what good bass can and should sound like. This bass is peaked out though. Distortion isn't great. It's really not very evident until 0:55. I won't submit a mix if I find distortion in it, unless it's not noticeable and I don't have the patience to fix something no one's going to notice anyway, but as we can see by the other reviews, people HAVE noticed it in this one. Ok, things I like:

I like the kickdrum/record swipe used at the beginning. I like the sleighbells. Even the bass drum wouldn't be so bad if it was mixed better. And for the most part, the sounds are ... ok, let me rephrase. Some of the sounds are good quality. The guitar sounds fake, or whatever that sound is. There's this fill drum that sounds like the basic midi drum on every GM kit, and to hear it used reminds me of those annoying midi songs that play on E-greeting cards. It can be heard very clearly at 2:27. At 3:41, the mix could be incredibly tight if it didn't max out on the EQ. In fact, this whole mix could be a lot better if it were layered more creatively and not as repetitively (is that a word?).

All in all, if this had lyrics, it would very possibly make a good rap track. If you've ever listened to rap/hip-hop music without the lyrics, it's usually pretty dry and dull, and depends on the lyrics to make it interesting, though in my personal opinion, it usually fails on both accounts. Ok, I also like the porsche bit. Anyway, I'm gonna give this a no because it needs to much, and doesn't deliver. It's too drawn out for too little material. He could have made a 3 minute mix that slammed (no pun intended... or is there?) and was good from beginning to end, and no one would be left wanting more or less. As it is, I want both more and less out of this mix and it leaves me feeling like I just ate a large piece of pizza with no coke to wash it down.

DC