Zelda - Gundam

Brithor

So... my mother goes to London and for some unknow reason brings me the march issue of the PSM3 magazine as a gift. I don't usually read Playstation magazines as I'm more of a Nintendo fanboy but what the hell nothing would happen to me for taking a look...

Moments after I started reading I found a column about how cheap Sixaxis pads were, only 35 pounds each! 175 pounds for a six player game of PES7! Wow!

After that it starts comparing the sixaxis to the Wii Remote, and I quote:

"Ok, people seem to think 35 pounds is a lot of money, but Wii remotes are the same price and no-one carps on about that. Ok, the price of the Wii itself is less than half that of PS3, but clearly PS3 games are superior - they get Zelda, we get Gundam, and I know witch one I'd rather play - so it balances out. Besides, the Sixaxis is far better than the Wiimote - it must be, it won an Innovation Award at CES in LA, thus entirely disproving the theory that the motion sensing idea was a last-minute rush job by Sony.

I have no idea how someone would prefer to play Gundam, a game rated 48/100 in that very same magazine over Zelda: TP, one of the best games around at the moment. I'm amused at how far fanaticism has gone that they even publish things like these, if they had put Resistance: Fall of Man instead of Gundam well yeah, OK... but Gundam has to be one of the worst launch games ever.

Not to mention that the Sixaxis was pretty much ripped off of the Wiimote, and that whole innovation award was given to the PS 3 as a whole. Not sure why, I don't know see the innovation myself, but I guess they did.

That's the only problem with fan magazines - all are guilty of having waaaaay to much fanboyism. Of course, they are fan magazines and are expected to be biased, that's a duh, but saying that Gundam is better than TP? That's how you can tell when they're going a bit too far and looking past a fairly obvious truth.

I hold the Gundam series very dear to my heart, but hell, I have yet to see a truly GOOD Gundam game, some have come close, but as a whole, they've all been garbage, mediocre games.

Zelda, throughout its 20 year lifespan has consistently been an excellent series.

And psh to this whole topic. The PS3 is not innovative. It's a monster of a machine capable of churning out amazing graphics and processing power, but ... it's not innovative. Nintendo is innovative. It's two completely different ways of thinking and I just... meh, I don't like the comparison to begin with. The Wiimote popularized motion sensitivity, the sixaxis controller is just a gamble response to the Wii's early success at trade shows. It's not really innovative; its more of smart business decision by Sony to use what Nintendo is doing...

I'm worried about Sony though.

By the way, Link in giant robots ftw!

Thread title made me think of a gundam with the Hylian emblem on it, and maybe a gigantic Master Sword instead of a beam saber.

On topic, Strike911 said it. The PS3 is not innovative.

There should be an entirely different word for how biased that quote is.

"Ok, people seem to think 35 pounds is a lot of money, but Wii remotes are the same price and no-one carps on about that. Ok, the price of the Wii itself is less than half that of PS3, but clearly PS3 games are superior - they get Zelda, we get Gundam, and I know which one I'd rather play - so it balances out. Besides, the Sixaxis is far better than the Wiimote - it must be, it won an Innovation Award at CES in LA, thus entirely disproving the theory that the motion sensing idea was a last-minute rush job by Sony."

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this guy is having some fun with his words. Look closely... doesn't it seem like he's being sarcastic? It does to me. Something tells me this guy is of the mentality that the PS3 really is a trainwreck, but at the same time he is of the mentality of wanting to keep his job.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it would be awesome if it were true.

Lets not forget...

http://www.emmyonline.org/emmy/advmedia_winners_release.html

The Emmy Award for Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers

• Nintendo, for the D-pad innovation on the NES/Famicon controller.
  • Sony Computer Entertainment America, for the Dual Shock Analog Controller.

Also that picture is definitely over flowing with win-ness.

And psh to this whole topic. The PS3 is not innovative. It's a monster of a machine capable of churning out amazing graphics and processing power, but ... it's not innovative. Nintendo is innovative. It's two completely different ways of thinking and I just... meh, I don't like the comparison to begin with. The Wiimote popularized motion sensitivity, the sixaxis controller is just a gamble response to the Wii's early success at trade shows. It's not really innovative; its more of smart business decision by Sony to use what Nintendo is doing...

The wii controller is innovative in and of itself, but all the innovative controllers in the world don't amount to much when your games still rely on the same old tired gameplay mechanics. The real irony is, I've seen more gameplay innovation coming out of the Sony camp than from Nintendo in recent years (Little Big Planet alone is a more innovative take on platformers than anything Nintendo has managed since Mario 64). When more developers start using the wiimote in cool and unique ways to make great games, then I'll probably jump on the Wii bandwagon, but as long as the majority of the good games would work just as well with a traditional controller, the Wii doesn't appeal to me or strike me as overly innovative.