R.I.P. Richard Jeni

The Coop

I don't make too many threads about celebraties who have passed on. But this time, I feel the need to.

Richard Jeni died of a apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head on March 10th. Nothing's been released as to why, or even if it really was suicide. But the comedic world lost a great member in its cast.

I remember the first time I saw him was on The Tonight Show long ago when I was younger. He was making fun of the horrid movie "Jaws 4: The Revenge", and I remember laughing at his observations and jokes at that movie's expense. Fast forward a number of years, and after seeing him make quick TV appearance on various shows, I saw Jeni's "A Good Catholic Boy". I laughed my ass off through the entire thing, and laughed a lot at his "A Big Steaming Pile of Me" that came about years later. I've always enjoyed his comedic mixture of sarcasm and commentary as he talked about everything from the absurd, to the every day.

While I have negative feelings towards those who choose suicide over trudging through whatever is giving them problems, I still can't help but feel saddened at the loss of a comedian who, while not always in the public eye, was constantly enjoyable to watch and listen to.

So rest in peace Richard Jeni. Don't know what brought you to this end, but thanks for all the laughs over the years.