OCR01561 - Great Giana Sisters "Synthpop Mix"

djpretzel

For all the talk about how mediocre this arrangement was at Remix64, I thought this track was pretty solid and I'm glad it's up here.

Considering how "ho-hum" most of the Euro scene was on this one, I wish the Commodore arrangement scene sent more goodness our way. I'm (a little) more familiar with R:K:O and AMIGAremix's stuff, and people around here don't know what kind of goodness they're missing over there.

I'm a big fan of anything Eurodancey and liked this well enough. I was expecting something (from the Synthpop in the title) more along the lines of Neuroticfish or Echo Image but this sounds a bit more spacesynth to me.

Anyhow, it was mixed a bit thin overall, could have used a lot more stereo imaging/panning but music wise it was fine and fun to listen to. Good work..

For all the controversy over this mix I got alot more than I had expected.

While not overly creative or as developed as some might have liked, this song is GREAT to listen to while working on completing a task. It's catchy, upbeat and very easy to listen to. Great to keep you working busily and happily. It balances repetition and deviation very well to keep the listener interested without causing distraction. Great for falling into a productive trance! :)!!

Nice work.

I don't think I've heard that kind of base on ocr in about three years. You could actually say that about half the synths used. That doesn't make it bad per se, but I have no idea how it passed in comparison to umpteen rejected mixes that had slightly worse production and significantly better arrangement.

I also don't agree with djpretzel's compliments regarding the stuttering. The synth is too quiet to hear the effect properly, and it only compounds the volume level issues.

I don't think I've heard that kind of base on ocr in about three years. You could actually say that about half the synths used. That doesn't make it bad per se, but I have no idea how it passed in comparison to umpteen rejected mixes that had slightly worse production and significantly better arrangement.

I also don't agree with djpretzel's compliments regarding the stuttering. The synth is too quiet to hear the effect properly, and it only compounds the volume level issues.

So can you cite those other mixes rejected with "significantly better arrangements"?

Wow, I wish that you could upload songs to ddr and make your own step pattern to them. This would be the perfect song to do that with. Yes, I play ddr. As stupid as you look on it, it is a great exercise, a great agility workout, and its fun. Song was really catchy and I am not a big techno kind of guy.

So can you cite those other mixes rejected with "significantly better arrangements"?

http://remix.thasauce.net/

essentially. I'm not even that big of a fan of r:ts. I'm just not a big fan of this remix.

it strikes me as awkward that it seems like the song meets 45% of the site's standards in production and 55% of the standards in arrangement, and it is accepted, where as songs that meet 30% of the standars in production and 90% in arrangement are routinely rejected (or vice versa, in fact).

My criticisms don't stray that far from half the panel or even your own, zircon. I've reacted kinda harshly towards this because it contains so many defaults that *I* can recognize, which means something because I don't know crap. If this viewpoint is wrong and I'm missing something, fine. But it's still the way I see it right now.

Nothing wrong with your opinion on this mix. I just disagree that we've rejected arrangements that were "significantly better" than this. If it happens, it's rare and the production has to completely suck. That or it's just a violation of our standards to begin with (eg. Shnab's chiptunes, while great, are basically against the rules).

Really, only the beginning was kind of...bad. As soon as the distortion came in it was about 250% more enjoyable. I was afraid the arrangement was going to be really stagnant, but I'm surprised. It reminds me a little of Alexander Prievert's Bloody Tears Inspired mix. And that's REALLY a good thing. Fun semi-generic electronica indeed.

Beginning isn't great, but as people above have pointed out, once it gets going it gets going.

Harkens back to the style and sound of many of the older mixes on the site, which can be a refreshing change from the overwhelming... well, 'newness' of many newer remixes.

Fun. That's the best description I can think of for this remix. It's just a happy little tune. The one thing that I heard almost instantly is the closeness between the Drum track/loop used here and the one used in the intro of Tiffany's, "I Think We're Alone Now". Now that brings me back... Actually this song reminds me of a couple of 80's songs at different points Though most of the names of those songs exacape me at the moment. Nice.

Ryan

This is one of the least pretensious remixes I have heard in a while.

Very listenable and fun. I really love the bounce and the attention to vary standardized and pretty use of tone. I was disappointed when it ended, I was like... WAIT!!! ROLL INTO A 30 MINUTE LONG MEDLEY. But no. I cannot have coital relations with a remix in Four minutes and Fourty-four seconds. I need at least another 15 minutes.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Recently dove into some C64 and Amiga retro gaming and pointed a friend to one of my favorite remixes. I was very disappointed in the description blurb. The entire writeup is a downer. Why write several paragraphs going on and on and on about how a song almost didn't make the cut and how bad it is? It's almost unbelievable. You ought to consider differentiating the internal discussions full of negativity, from what you decide to place in your outward facing descriptions where users land.

Recently dove into some C64 and Amiga retro gaming and pointed a friend to one of my favorite remixes. I was very disappointed in the description blurb. The entire writeup is a downer. Why write several paragraphs going on and on and on about how a song almost didn't make the cut and how bad it is? It's almost unbelievable. You ought to consider differentiating the internal discussions full of negativity, from what you decide to place in your outward facing descriptions where users land.

Generally speaking, I do exactly that - cover the best aspects of a piece and don't dwell too long on the negatives. In this instance the vote was close and the panel was divided, and it seemed worth pointing out how even completely enjoyable tracks can sometimes be close calls, because we're looking at a few different things when we evaluate submissions, not just whether people will like them. It's important to communicate - in small doses, and in representative cases - how our process really works, and brushing that under the rug in this instance would have felt downright dishonest...

Incidentally, we've historically gotten more complaints that mix writeups are TOO positive, so you're actually representing a minority opinion relative to the other feedback we've received. That's cool, and I'm glad you bothered to chime in... I don't really agree that the writeups are too positive, and I think I agree even less that they are too critical, but it's something I'll think about based on your comments, which are appreciated.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01561 - Great Giana Sisters "Synthpop Mix"