OCR00682 - Sonic Adventure "Taikal Drum 'n' Ragga"

m68030

Although Sonic Adventure was one of the few songs for the Dreamcast I actually sat down and beat, I dont recognize the theme here, the jungle theme possibly? I dont know for sure. Has subtle breakbeat-like drums in the background that are filtered making it sound very ambient, in fact the whole piece sounds rather ambient. Also very ethinic sounding (atleast to me) probably from the wodwind-like instruments that play. The song shapes as the piano starts taking the melody away in a more situated manor. I liked it alot. Like his Soft Museum Jam mix of NiGHTS, all the instruements sound very natural and "right". Recommended, give it a try, I give it a 9.5/10.

Definitely well done. Most refer to this as being ambient, and it is in a way, but that piano and panflute have a pretty distinct melody. So I would say it is a mix of both. The drums seem to be the only element to ambience. With that said, I definitely like this style. The only way for someone to dislike this song is because they don't like the style used.

I like it, so I'm stickin' to it!

10/10, it never gets old. I can listen to it over and over. Even someone who doesnt care for much of the mixes on this site liked it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a ReMix that I downloaded some time ago, but it was until recenty that I feel in love with it. It reminds me of the music played on Indian clothing stores. When I listen to that remix, I imagine enteriong one of those stores, smelling the incense, and then browsing the clothes racks.

• 6 months later...

A great ambient track. This is the kind of music I could relax to. It really has an eastern flare to it and takes MCV's stuff into a different direction. It's not my favorite peice per se. It's good but it just lacks that memorable feel to it. As you would expect from MCV's ambient tracks this one is really layered. Theres alot going on in this mix. Overall its a good enjoyable peice.

• 3 months later...

very very good.. I loved it in Sonic Adventure.. and now you've mixed it with my favorite two genres: Ambience and Drum and Bass/Jungle. It's a complete winning combination I will file this under "my favorite songs of all time" folder... I really liked it that much, yes.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I love Tikal's theme in Sonic Adventure and I love this remix of Tikal's theme. Very good work. Anyone who has played Sonic Adventure should download this. Hell, even if you haven't played Sonic Adventure.

Definitely. I think this song is either one of or the best song in all of the Sonic Adventure BGM's.

It seems to have the best groove, most effrot put into it, and not all junky-sounding.

• 8 months later...
Hell, even if you haven't played Sonic Adventure.

Roger that one, and I'm glad that I did.

To start out with, I'm really digging this tune, McVaffe always seem to make great remixes when it comes to instrumental and foreign genres. Those drums in the beginning made me think of Africa, but it changed quickly into something more ancient sounding, I dunno bout the country but that harp synth sure sounds fiiiine.

However, it doesn't make you wanna go wild, neither it's not very suiting as background music, or at least to me. This fits better for when i'm relaxing, turns on my mp3 and just chills to whatever track that comes out. When it comes to this song, it feels like you only can enjoy it to the fullest if you take some time and really listens to it, to all the instruments and samples that it contains. That way, you can understand how much work this piece needed to become complete.

Or something like that, you have to decide on your own. At least I know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna download this.

• 1 year later...

Great pads and percussion on this, even the simple progression and beats at the beginning is interesting. The modulating synth gives it some teture, and the piano + dulicmer sound great.

When the flanged beats come in, I feel the high end is a little too sharp, and it gets distracting.

This is a very nice and chill kind of groove, with a lot of underlying motion. It doesn't completely blow me away, but as long as the flanged beat isn't around, it's great background music.

• 2 years later...

Some more classic hi-fi McVaffe. Much more minimalistic than his '3rd Strike' mix, but it sounds like this was made long before that (see djp's write-up). Regardless, this is still quite an accomplishment. As with most McV mixes, the beauty is in the subtleties. The mix comes off simple, but there is a ton going on. Whether it be the various articulations or the DSP scattered throughout.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00682 - Sonic Adventure "Taikal Drum 'n' Ragga"
  • 7 years later...