OCR01583 - *YES* Super Mario 64 'Spinlock'

Liontamer

Greetings djp/judges,

Here's my take on the brief (but catchy) "File Select" tune from Mario 64.

It started out as a slow, relaxed groove in the original key, but I wasn't making much progress on the arrangement. After flipping it to the minor key and adding the transition to the double-time percussion, the rest fit pretty well (I think).

The bass is mixed fairly loud, and the cymbals are intentionally over-compressed for extra crunchiness. I think the balance works, but I hope it doesn't come off as too "harsh"-sounding.

Track info:

Original track...: "File Select" from Super Mario 64

Remix title......: Spinlock

Remixer..........: aluminum

File.............: MP3 192kbps CBR, 5.10MB, 3m42s

Links:

Here's a reference to the original: http://www.digitalscourge.com/Super_Mario_64_File_Select.mp3

Thanks!

--

aluminum

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/sm64usf.rar - 18 "File Select"

Indeed, the production's a bit loud and grating, but nothing beyond reasonable. Melody finally arrived at :54, and I liked the change done to it. Changing the original into a minor key really fucked with its recognizability on the first listens. The people out there who don't like liberal arrangements will have a fit, but as long as I can make the connections to the original (which I can), "McDonald's, I'm lovin' it." Definitely had to revisit the all too familiar source tune just to hear it again. Really intelligent interpretation. The dynamics with the supporting instrumentation REALLY drove the piece along (e.g. escalation at 1:07, stuttering at 1:14, breakbeats at 1:22), keeping the track moving. And major props on the bassline work, which will under-appreciated by way too many people. That's some really smart stuff.

Got pretty worried once the 1:32 iteration of the melody spiraled off into something barely connected to the source, but it didn't last too long, going back to the melody at 1:57. You hear the writing seemingly spin off completely only to work its way back to a source reference (e.g. 1:44-1:46, 2:05-2:07, 2:12-2:13).

Transition at 2:17 was a bit abrupt, and the fakey quality of the piano at 2:20 didn't really help. Timing was too rigid and didn't sound good, but the addition of the string pads at 2:34 helped fill out the soundfield and not keep the piano so exposed. Strings were too loud and the soundfield tip-toed on sounding flooded IMO, but again nothing dealbreaking.

Piano returned to the source melody at 3:01, doubled by a flowy synth, before abruptly ending at 3:28. That was it for the ending??? Bah, c'mon Zac, where was the steam? Felt like you started super hot, then didn't finish the piece off strongly. That last section of the arrangement seemed like it was offering yet another new direction, then...poof. Untapped potential, but nothing I had a problem with beyond an artistic choice.

For me it starts off stronger than it ends, arrangement and production-wise, but everything's more than solid to me. Initially, I would have liked the arrangement to feel more anchored to the source rather that taking it in such a liberal direction. But the connections were still readily observable for me and, on that level, I really appreciated the very interpretive spin put into this one. Once you get more familiar with the arrangement choices, you feel a lot less hesitant about letting go and really getting into this one.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about making the track your own. I didn't recognize it at first. Having an entirely different feel from the original and being in a minor key, this is the sort of complete reenvisioning that I haven't heard 'round here since Intense Color. I love the degree of creativity on display here.

I agree with larry that it could have gone longer and expressed more ideas, but what's here is great.

YES

• 1 month later...

Good stuff. I wasn't crazy about the stutter at 1:14 - thought it was a little too abrupt and staccato. I also agree that the whole mix felt a little under-developed, but only in the sense that I wished it could have gone on longer. Other than that, I really have no complaints. Very original work. (Especially love the synth arpeggiation starting at around 1:50, so cool!)

YES