No seriously, music elitists need to take a long walk off a short pier.

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

I should clarify that I was showing how the "indie" mentality makes things much harder for up-and-coming bands

all in all, it seems unfair, but it really isn't... if musicians want to make music for a living, they can't just do whatever they want

Yeah, that pretty much summarizes it.

Also one thing people keep missing is that record sales and popularity with "the masses" really has nothing to do with success, sometimes. Licensing music for film, TV, commercials is FAR profitable than record sales. ES Posthumous is probably rolling in cash from their licensing deals. They don't need to be "popular".

I was about to nmake a thread like this today!

in my school everybody makes fun of me because i listen to "crappy lol wtf videogame music amateur remixes"

and it pisses me off! i keep trying to find ways to make them see it's great music...they simply don't wanna even listen..it's prejudice!

the trick is to refrain from telling them where its from until you get them to listen to it

It must not be wretched to them if they happen to like it.

And your point?

Good and bad are not based on personal preference... especially those of the uninitiate, unlearned, uninformed laymen.

If it was, then everything would have to be "good" because there's always going to be someone who likes something.

Depends on what viewpoint of "greatest" you look at. If you're talking about how well the music does what it aims at, then no, this is the most ridiculous viewpoint ever - it is demeaning to composers, serious musicians, or anyone who cares about structure.

Not really. ALL great music have structure, just not the rote, classical types. Even Reggae to the most chaotic sounding Rap can have intricacies that maybe only enthusiasts may be able to pick up. It's no less insulting than to say that subjectivity doesn't factor in at all. In which it does. Even for the 'serious musicians'.

Not really. ALL great music have structure, just not the rote, classical types. Even Reggae to the most chaotic sounding Rap can have intricacies that maybe only enthusiasts may be able to pick up. It's no less insulting than to say that subjectivity doesn't factor in at all. In which it does. Even for the 'serious musicians'.

All music has structure period. Because of that, you can discuss whether the particular choice is done well, or whether it's just throwing stuff together haphazardly without regards to any proper coherency. It's not about notions of enthusiasts or any such. Anyone with half a brain can do this if they really cared to - that's what differentiates those who view music as an artform and those who just listen to music because it engages their senses.

Classically trained music students aren't your problem. I've been going to school for Music Education with Focus on Tuba and Trombone for six long years. While I've been wasting my life away in music school, I've noticed that most of the people in the department are more open minded than most.

It's usually the crazy punk rock kids, or the electronica guys that get snobby with music in my experience.

Granted, while the classically trained aren't as big in numbers for elitism, the elitists that are there are so hardcore that I wonder how they function in life.

Punk Rock kids? Real Punk is dead and the meaning of it's ranted message lost in time with the real punks who grew up and got jobs. These so called Punk Rock kids today are nothing more than emo conforming assholes. Man, I miss real punk.

Only thing I can say about this topic is that it's just more judge hate. As a whole, I think a lot of us need to step back, and look at the standards that have been set forth, and compare them to just passing any ol' thing. Remember that a long time ago, OCR didn't have these standards. Also remember, that OCR, like life itself, is ever evolving, and that being a part of it means we are evolving with it.

Is it really elitism if the music you're waiting to hear needs to evolve a little first?

MAN,

ALL THESE GODDAMN SHITTY JUDGE FGTS MAKE ME SO MAD. AARRRRGGHH. MY SONG IS TEH BESTEST EVAR! I MEAN, COME ON....TYPING IN CAPS MAKES ME ANGRIER TOO!!!!!!! WITH LOTS OF EXCLAMATIONS!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is look at VGMix 2.0, and I rest my case. Yay for judges. Even Jesus would judge OCR. :nicework:

Hooray, more judge hate.

Not to say its unfounded, I agree. I dont like most of the mixes the judges pass, but I really like a lot of the WIPs that get rejected. No offense to any of the mixers out there - you are all really talented, just that the only stuff that gets posted is too improvisational and deviates too far from the source.

Anywho, go to vgmix to get your music fix, stay here for the forums.

Just sayin'

www.velvetcacoon.com

You guys know nothing of pretentiousness when it comes to music. Trust me.

WTF is this site? It doesn't even make any sense. Everything is some type of poetic jargon, the pictures are emo as hell, and in his music section, he has 3 cd's for sale, and you can't listen to a sample of any song! Essential, there IS no music, and this guy is a douchebag/tool.

Velvet Cacoon fails at music, and life for that matter. Christ. :???:

Punk Rock kids? Real Punk is dead and the meaning of it's ranted message lost in time with the real punks who grew up and got jobs. These so called Punk Rock kids today are nothing more than emo conforming assholes. Man, I miss real punk.

Pretty much.

Only thing I can say about this topic is that it's just more judge hate. As a whole, I think a lot of us need to step back, and look at the standards that have been set forth, and compare them to just passing any ol' thing. Remember that a long time ago, OCR didn't have these standards. Also remember, that OCR, like life itself, is ever evolving, and that being a part of it means we are evolving with it.

Is it really elitism if the music you're waiting to hear needs to evolve a little first?

Until you said this, I forgot that this post had started out that way. I think the thread is evolving, just like life, to a more general form of elitist hate.

Hooray, more judge hate.

Not to say its unfounded, I agree. I dont like most of the mixes the judges pass, but I really like a lot of the WIPs that get rejected. No offense to any of the mixers out there - you are all really talented, just that the only stuff that gets posted is too improvisational and deviates too far from the source.

Anywho, go to vgmix to get your music fix, stay here for the forums.

Just sayin'

Yeah, I can't hear any of the source tunes in these songs anyway. I agree that a site dedicated to the arrangement of video game music should only post tracks where the connections to the original are minimal. Or better yet, non-existant.

Less people with ears that work, more judgehate!

Why do you care about what they think anyway?

If you like VG music, listen to it.

thats what i do...i love videogame music and i'll be damned if i'll let anyones opinions change my view of VGM

it's still kinda annoying to hear those hurtful comments like how it's "not music" a\nd how DJP must be a fat guy living in his momma's basement eating mini-pizzas

Punks and hippies get closer and closer together with every passing year. I wonder why.

All kidding aside, I agree with the sentiment.

A music degree doesn't amount to shit if you don't have creativity. Hell, the Ramones and ACDC could barely play their own instruments, and they made some amazing music.

Basically, what I'm saying is: Take your music degree, your chromatic scales, and your ultra-dynamic meter changes and shove them up your ass.

Anyway, on the whole punk thing - no one is born with a frikkin' mohawk. The kids may be emo or whatever, but they get beat up and called fags just like the old punks did.

And there's no way to completely stand apart in this world. There will always be someone else that looks like you and can do what you can do.