No seriously, music elitists need to take a long walk off a short pier.

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

A music degree doesn't amount to shit if you don't have creativity. Hell, the Ramones and ACDC could barely play their own instruments, and they made some amazing music.

Basically, what I'm saying is: Take your music degree, your chromatic scales, and your ultra-dynamic meter changes and shove them up your ass.

Anyway, on the whole punk thing - no one is born with a frikkin' mohawk. The kids may be emo or whatever, but they get beat up and called fags just like the old punks did.

And there's no way to completely stand apart in this world. There will always be someone else that looks like you and can do what you can do.

I think I disagree with every sentence here.

-In my opinion, ACDC and amazing do not belong in the same sentence.

-Knowledge of classical music conventions, theory, and many, MANY other concepts that fall under the umbrella os "Music Degree" help a tremendous amount in creating great music.

-Punks ... that's their taste, however abnormal it may be. As for what's "real" punk, I'm not going to judge it because I dislike both modern and past punk styles.

-No way to stand apart? You don't even have to look past this website. There are some incredible remixers here with unique styles. With a broader perspective, look at the game industry as a whole. You can't look at all the amazing, creative games, present and past, and say that there's no way to stand out. For example, Rare during the 1990s. Incredible gaming experience. Attention to every small detail. Features that are uncommon indeed in a lot of games.

All I can say is for the benefit of listeners who are here for the first time, let them hear some creative mixes where they can determine where the source tune came from the first time they listen to it.

I had a friend who listened to one of the later remixes of Final Fantasy and they were like, "What tune did this come from? This isn't Final Fantasy; it's just a very creative original song. WTF?"

I took the critique with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't hate on any mixes just for the sake of the above. In fact, get as creative as you people want. I support individuality. Just keep the listener in mind, and don't make their vegetable brains strain unless you have a message to say in a rap song.

I'm out before my butt gets flamed again.

A music degree doesn't amount to shit if you don't have creativity. Hell, the Ramones and ACDC could barely play their own instruments, and they made some amazing music.

Basically, what I'm saying is: Take your music degree, your chromatic scales, and your ultra-dynamic meter changes and shove them up your ass.

Angus Young couldn't play his instrument? Seems to me, anyone who can solo while riding piggy-back on someone's shoulders, or racing from one side of the stage to another, or while rolling around on his back can probably be credited more than "can barely play [his] own instrument."

Also, what's an ultra-dynamic meter change? Maybe a few of these mixes of ultra-meter and ultra-dynamic can get my mixes past the judges? Elaborate.

Pretty much.

Until you said this, I forgot that this post had started out that way. I think the thread is evolving, just like life, to a more general form of elitist hate.

That was the whole point of the thread, granted I probably should have used a different opening example.

Also, what the flying fuck is this doing in this "community" thing?

don't betray all that is good and true such as pretention by comparing it with that garbage.
WTF is this site? It doesn't even make any sense. Everything is some type of poetic jargon, the pictures are emo as hell, and in his music section, he has 3 cd's for sale, and you can't listen to a sample of any song! Essential, there IS no music, and this guy is a douchebag/tool.

Velvet Cacoon fails at music, and life for that matter. Christ. :???:

Hahaha that is exactly the response I was expecting.

Actually their release "Genevieve" is an ambient masterpiece based on the drug dextromethorphan, but they are douchebags/tools as you said.

This thread filled up fast.

Anyway, all I really have to contribute is this from my interview with J. Doerkson a.k.a. Lesser of the Tigerbeat 6 label:

LUKE: Do you aim to confuse your listeners; if so why?

J: Wellllll..... To begin with, I would say that I am not trying to make music that 'shocks' or confuses folks... this is really just the way that things sound (points to his own noggin) up here. Having said that, ya.. I am really just trying to get people to think about what is music. I mean, really how little can still be called music. I think my stuff is basically pretty perverse.. like... here's something catchy, and it lasts for 1-2 seconds.. now its gone, replaced by something really annoying. There are PLENTY of musicians giving you exactly what you want... even if you don't know what it is... even if you would not have known that it was what you wanted till this very second. But I try not to do that. I don't give you what you want... or I make you wait a REALLY long time for it and, even then, it doesn't last long enough to enjoy it unless you sample it and make your own song. So.. the short answer is YES, confusion is good, if it prompts the listener to question her preconceptions of what music is. Whew...

The thing I always look for and respect in new music is 'sounds or ideas I've never heard before'... it's growing increasingly rare. One of my favourite dance songs featured a filtered harmonica sample, some of the songs I consider most beautiful are time-stretched or chopped to pieces. Some of my favourite genres are wild and unpredictable, one or two of my favourite bands/artists inspire me specifically because I don't know, even with a slightly-above-mediocre musical knowledge, how in the heck they were produced.

I would be a bad OCR judge because I think I would praise new musical ideas and concepts over overall quality. This trait nearly unimportant to me.

Angus Young couldn't play his instrument? Seems to me, anyone who can solo while riding piggy-back on someone's shoulders, or racing from one side of the stage to another, or while rolling around on his back can probably be credited more than "can barely play [his] own instrument."

Also, what's an ultra-dynamic meter change? Maybe a few of these mixes of ultra-meter and ultra-dynamic can get my mixes past the judges? Elaborate.

About AC/DC - you have to take my words with a grain of salt. I don't mean that they couldn't actually play - I mean that they took a simple approach to music and made a lot of enjoyable songs.

By the way, someone said AC/DC didn't make "amazing" music. Well, maybe I should of used a different adjective, like "good."

"Ultra-dynamic meter changes" It's just a word I made up. I should have said "having a lot of meter changes, to the point of losing the listener."

I'm not saying music theory doesn't count. I've studied it myself, and it's helped me a lot, especially with improvisation. I'm just saying that creativity and good songwriting are extremely important and that a lot of music wizards/virtuosos end up missing the point of making good, enjoyable (and often simple) music.

And these elitists are often too busy puffing out their chests, while complaining about the overuse of power chords. Hey whatever approach you want, take it. But I've often run into a number of musicians who just don't understand. They often see music as a competition, and the sad reality is that he's partially right. There are too many musicians in the world, and many of them suck or just sound like someone else (most often intentionally). But I still see music as something that should be enjoyed, first and foremost.

I was jamming with a bluegrass guitarist a year or so ago. I specialize in metal, rock, and classical. This guy plays bluegrass and country. He said "You're better than me. You can play faster and you know all of these scales." I replied "Whatever. That's not how it works." That's why we have different types of music. Some people would rather hear him play, and others would rather hear me play.

It's like trying to compare apples and oranges. Just strive to make the best, most enjoyable music that you can. And make it from the heart.

And to Drack, when I mentioned trouble standing out, well I stand by that one. Of course, I was referring to the punk scene, not music. (Two different arguments covered in my post)

Well, next time I'll take a bit more time to explain things and use less figurative language.

Anyway, I'm not telling everyone to agree with me - I'm just trying to explain where I'm coming from.

Actually their release "Genevieve" is an ambient masterpiece based on the drug dextromethorphan, but they are douchebags/tools as you said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Cacoon

They're a joke band. They were taking the piss out of similar bands. Some of their tracks are stolen aswell. Read on...

If you have the song and you like it' date=' why does it matter whether it gets accepted to the site or not?[/quote']

If it doesn't get accepted, I most likely won't get to hear it. I have no idea how many of the rejected songs I would actually have enjoyed listening to. But then again, I don't listen to most of the songs that do get accepted, because I'm not really interested in hearing a remix of a song I've never heard, from a game I've never played... but there are lots of remixes that I'd be interested in hearing among the rejects. The problem is, very few people ask the judges to keep the link to their remix public in case they're rejected. If they did, the mixes could still be listened to even if they were not accepted to the site, and along with the judges' decision, they could serve as a lesson for remixer wannabes who could then compare their own works with the rejected ones.

i love videogame music and i'll be damned if i'll let anyones opinions change my view of VGM

it's still kinda annoying to hear those hurtful comments like how it's "not music" a\nd how DJP must be a fat guy living in his momma's basement eating mini-pizzas

lol, something about that image just made me literally rofl...

Anyway, yeah dude, I have the same problem. I try to introduce people, friends even, to some good new music (to them). Y'know, remixes of video games, sometimes songs from video game ost's. About 5% of them actually listen. I actually had someone listening once and they asked what song it was. I told him it was a remix from Earthbound and had to elaborate on the fact that it was a video game and he just goes, "wtf? This is video game music? I'm not listening to this shit. Fuckin nerd."

It's just really annoying that people stereotype others so easily. Funny, because there's really no way out. I'll listen to a mix from Chrono Symphonic and people will think I'm a stuck-up snob for listening to symphonic music(don't ask me why, but it's happened). Then I explain that it's from a video game and they call me a nerd or a geek or something similar.

Just don't let it bother you, dude. Nothing good comes from it and nothing bad will happen if you just let it slide. Just bask in the glory of your multigenre video game music while they drown in their own obnoxiousness. And keep your mind at ease knowing that you're listening to what you like rather than trying to be someone you're not.

Besides, who needs them when you have us here at ocremix :D

"wtf? This is video game music? I'm not listening to this shit. Fuckin nerd."

*sigh* Americans... (lol, maybe that's not what you are. Those people just sound a lot like people I met in the USA... but I have Americans to thank for introducing me to SPC's, NSF's and whatnot, and for this site, so whatever)

I'll listen to a mix from Chrono Symphonic and people will think I'm a stuck-up snob for listening to symphonic music(don't ask me why, but it's happened). Then I explain that it's from a video game and they call me a nerd or a geek or something similar.

You're both a stuck-up snob and a nerd/geek. AWESOME COMBO! Myself, I haven't really managed to pull anyone into this, really. I know no one on OCR irl, even though I have friends who don't mind listening to game music or and who think remixing it is a cool thing to do. My girlfriend thinks I'm a nerd, too, but she lets it slide... all in all, I guess I'm better off than many others, though. Even though it's rather lonely being interested in game music, at least I'm not being frowned upon for doing it.

Anyway, what do you call a person who dismisses an entire world of music just because it's game music? A stuck-up snob!

Why don't they rename it to "I like to chug robitussin. YEEHAW!" It's nice to know that the drug they dedicate it to is known for its destructive nature to the brain, overheating, deterioration, and what not. No wonder they're delusional.

If this is a joke band, then I feel like a sap. :lol: