Low cost recording

What is the cheapest way I could get a decent recording of myself playing a brass instrument?

I was thinking of an induction microphone, but those are really pricey. And I'd use one of those mutes with the headphones and jury-rig it to a microphone jack, but then I'd need to buy three (for different instruments).

I have some crappy microphone gear, is there something I can make? Or does anybody else here have a suggestion?

Moved to ReMixing forum.

"Induction microphone"? There are only three general types of mics... dynamic, condenser, ribbon.

Cheapest way would be a $5 crappy PC mic. You don't want the cheapest, you want something that is at least halfway-decent. I suggest: Samson CO1U USB condenser mic. High quality, no other gear required, hooks up directly to your computer. Use a free program like Audacity.

Moved to ReMixing forum.

"Induction microphone"? There are only three general types of mics... dynamic, condenser, ribbon.

Cheapest way would be a $5 crappy PC mic. You don't want the cheapest, you want something that is at least halfway-decent. I suggest: Samson CO1U USB condenser mic. High quality, no other gear required, hooks up directly to your computer. Use a free program like Audacity.

Well, thanks for giving me a response. Although the $80-$140 price range seems a bit steep. Right now, I've just got a mic from a Nintendo VRU, so it'd be a lot better.

I had poor wording. A dynamic mic works through magnetic induction. As does a ribbon mic. I was mostly thinking that was what I needed. I'd seen ads for mics that went on the bell, but they were pricey.

As far as acoustics go, would I need anything else? (I understand this is n00b looking, I mean- Since I only play brass instruments, should I have it directly near/inside the bell and muted, or something else?)

Although the $80-$140 price range seems a bit steep.

You're in for a world of pain, then ;). Recording probably hasn't been cheaper before in history (unless you're doing stuff with a 4-track or just writing down the notes).

As far as acoustics go, would I need anything else?

Make sure the room you're playing in doesn't reverberate. A mattress against the wall helps.

should I have it directly near/inside the bell and muted, or something else?)

Just hang it on a boom stand somewhere, then experiment with placement - but from Googling a bit "recording trumpet" - 1 or 2 feet from the bell. Keep your levels in check, you don't want clipping.

You're in for a world of pain, then ;). Recording probably hasn't been cheaper before in history (unless you're doing stuff with a 4-track or just writing down the notes).

I didn't know that. And I suppose I can always try recording to a laptop somewhere with better acoustics than my house. Or outdoors, maybe. I'll experiment when/if I buy it.

Thanks all around.

Moved to ReMixing forum.

I was gonna suggest the same thing. I needed a decent recording setup, but didn't have the cash for all the gear like mixer/preamp and such. Bought the CO1U and it's worked great for recording my saxophone.