WIP - Final Fantasy 7 "Destruction of AVALANCHE"

-MZ-

This gets really loud around 2:45 or so...I hit stop. :( What I heard before that was okay, but had some issues. Intro is too long without much happening. Drums are hollow/synthy and the fills are too loud and a bit sporadic. Leads are too quiet. Sonic texture is kinda barren. You started to reinterpret the theme finally at 2:19 and it sounded like it was going in a cool direction, but shortly after there's that huge rise in volume.

My main suggestion is to cut the fluff and emphasize your personal reinterpretation of the source more instead.

Well to explain the "fluff", that's what happens when you try to combine interpretation of the theme with original stuff too (trying to make a song YOURS and all that stuff). Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix the issues you pointed, as I'm a bit clueless (I don't even know what a sonic texture is!)

Volume's an easy fix, but I need a little clarification on the other issues.

Thanks for posting.

I agree alot with what Leah said. I did give this a couple listens, it def has some listenability. It's pretty raw though, some elements show some good ideas. The general feel is pretty good although you need to kick it up a knotch.

Work on transitions. The percussion is very overbearing sometimes. The volume on the hats needs to come down. Really work on getting the melody and rythms in sync feeding off of eachother. Develop the melody dynamically.

2:44 was good.

Bc this source is kinda bland, albeit very good, atmosphere is key here. Also think about the structure of the song a lil bit. Why are you goin from one section to the next? What is the purpose, does it create a cohesive flow.

Some people might kill me for saying this but try some more reverb. Just a small amount, but keep the decay below 1.0ms and make sure to have the filter set not to let any reverbed sound below 300hz to come through.

In a mix like this really pay attention to what sounds are up front and what sounds are behind. Atmosphere is key here. All around see what you can do to give the synths some cooler sounds.

Def keep on workin on this one, def has some potential.

Edit: for explanations on a lot of the ways to build a song check out http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm. It's a pretty funny, but very good read. It helped me out an assload, be warned there is a lot of content there so it will take you awhile.

Thanks for the tips. I just uploaded a new version (link in the top post). I tried some panning to give it that atomosphere/ambiance effect, and I added in from drum fills to make the first transition smoother. I also changed some of the samples cause I thought it would help.

This song still needs smoother transitions, I know, but about what you said: "Really work on getting the melody and rythms in sync feeding off of eachother". Kinda difficult for this song, as the melody is half notes and whole notes, leading to a potentially boring drum loop. I haven't changed anything in the percussion besides volume (and speaking of which, sorry if the 2nd-to-last part is still too loud; I'm trying to make is listenable but still have that impact I want).

What do you think of this version?

Well to explain the "fluff", that's what happens when you try to combine interpretation of the theme with original stuff too (trying to make a song YOURS and all that stuff). Do you have any suggestions on how I can fix the issues you pointed, as I'm a bit clueless (I don't even know what a sonic texture is!)

Sorry for not being clear, it was late. :P By sonic texture, I mean the various layers of sounds, how they fill up space and interact with each other, the overall impression they give of either fullness or emptiness, etc. Think of a landscape--if it's almost empty, whatever is in it should be highly expressive to be interesting (like a solo piano piece). To me, it sounded like the song needed more layers of sound to make it sound full instead.

Anyway, new version! I think this is definitely improved, it seems to have much more of your personal stamp on it. Drums fit the song better. There is still a swell in volume around 2:30ish--it's from the low phasing pad that comes in.

You're filling out the "texture" of the song more too, so nice work there. :D All I can suggest at the moment is to keep developing what you've got, add little touches here and there--some effects, some new harmonies or little melodic flourishes, whatever. Personally, the section that starts at 2:19 is what I like best (despite that loud pad :P)--it has a neat industrial sound to it.

Keep at it!

Sorry for not being clear, it was late. :P By sonic texture, I mean the various layers of sounds, how they fill up space and interact with each other, the overall impression they give of either fullness or emptiness, etc. Think of a landscape--if it's almost empty, whatever is in it should be highly expressive to be interesting (like a solo piano piece). To me, it sounded like the song needed more layers of sound to make it sound full instead.

Anyway, new version! I think this is definitely improved, it seems to have much more of your personal stamp on it. Drums fit the song better. There is still a swell in volume around 2:30ish--it's from the low phasing pad that comes in.

You're filling out the "texture" of the song more too, so nice work there. :D All I can suggest at the moment is to keep developing what you've got, add little touches here and there--some effects, some new harmonies or little melodic flourishes, whatever. Personally, the section that starts at 2:19 is what I like best (despite that loud pad :P)--it has a neat industrial sound to it.

Keep at it!

Yeah, but I know I still have to add some more. I'm going to put in a counter melody at 1:19; one's that's similar to the melody at 2:02 in terms of style (simple and catchy, with a quick shot of randomness i.e. 2:09 :P).

The next version will definantly be much better than this, even if this song is already pretty good. I'm trying to get the song passed. :mrgreen:

I really enjoyed this remix. Youve taken a somewhat ominous original song and made it a very ominous, yet interesting song. Your use of distortion and reverb is great, and really shows to yout talents in mixing and mastering. These arre my main criticisms: The beginning didnt pick up fast enough in my opinion. It was too much of too little, if that makes sense. In the part with the heavy distortion (starts at 2:20 i think), the volume really spikes around 2:26....Im not sure if thats the effect u were going for, but it is a little bit sudden and in my opinion somewhat breaks the overall ominous tone of the remix. It spikes again at the end, but there I think its more appropriate, though the ending is a bit sudden for me too.

This is one of my favorite WIPs......Im lookin forward to seein it on the front page man!