Alive 2007 (Daft Punk tour)

Hum4n After All

i as a remixer don't do anything more creative than Daft Punk. the music is approached in a different manner, but it is no more or less a creative process.

if you think they 'overdo it' in regards to sampling, that may be a reasonable criticism... but to say it's not creative or artistic is merely bigotry.

cheers.

Right on!

I never quite agreed with the whole "Remix < ReMix" thing.

• 1 month later...

I was so bummed there weren't any shows near DC. I almost thought about driving up to NY for a day to see them (and the Rapture). Hope you all that managed to see them had fun.

I too saw that video Zircon posted a while ago and it was a little sad but not that surprising. All their songs sound like samples - somewhere in my mind, I knew they were ripping off old songs wholesale, but I had never heard those songs before then. Ultimately, I decided it didn't matter. To me, what their strength is, is knowing just how far to push a sample before it becomes too much. They use enough change-ups to keep it interesting and some of their beats I could listen to for hours.

I found out about the Red Rocks showing about an hour before it started, so needless to say I was pissed about missing it.

However, I know where zircon is coming from; I lost a lot of respect when I found out that they had pretty completely ripped off several songs and only make minor changes and switch-ups. That isn't to say I don't still enjoy the music they make. They're live shows have really made me gain MUCH respect for them, however, since they're basically sampling most of their own music and making it into an absolutely awesome show.

I would have to say the only artist I actually think is quite genius in his use of samples is Amon Tobin. 99.9% of his stuff is so mangled and transformed into something much different than the original that it is quite enjoyable. When you do actually hear something familiar, its more like an "oh hey! thats what it is..." than "yeah, we get it, its that one loop from a song over and over again" from some of Daft Punk's songs.