Alive 2007 (Daft Punk tour)

Hum4n After All

Saying there's a difference between direct sampling and using a melody is just baseless semantics.

I'm sure djpretzel and the rest of the judges panel would disagree as well, as those 'baseless semantics' are one of the core principles in our submission standards. Unless you want us to go back to 2001 and start posting direct SPC rips with drums underneath.... :)

Ah, music elitism.

If it makes you feel any better, Daft Punk does actually reproduce some of the pieces "sampled," meaning that they're no different in practice than an OC ReMix. Judging by the scarcity of live remixes on this site I should hope this isn't a problem, because that would certainly be some kind of double standard. However, I don't think these mixes will ever get posted because they're not from games.

Daft Punk does a lot of work adding stuff to their riffs. Sometimes the original is barely recognizable. Building an arrangement around a riff (can we use ostinato here? I say yes) is a skill itself.

Now come on, I'm not being elitist. I'm not saying "DP is bad" or "they're thieves" or "they're cheapening music". I simply said I am less impressed by them, and that they're less creative than I thought they were.

But anyway I'm sidetracking the topic... just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, not cause a debate.

Went to the August 7th one. I'm not a huge fan of Daft Punk, but that concert rocked my fucking socks off! AMAZING. The transitions between their songs were awesome. The lights were spectacular. The beats were super-cool. The encore where they played a remix of "One More Time" and changed their clothes to "glow in the dark" was excellent stuff.

Loved it.

Ever since seeing this video I stopped wanting to see Daft Punk. :(

:'(... I was not aware of this. I liked Daft Punk. This makes me very sad.

I'm a fan of sampling\covering\remixing. It's cool to hear someones else's take on a song, I just don't feel it's right to make money off of it. I'm glad I've never bought one of their CD's.

what's wrong with making money off of it? you do realize they have to clear those samples and pay to use them, right?

really, Daft Punk doesn't do sampling any more than Moby, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, or any big player in the electronic music scene.

sampling is part of the art. if you weren't expecting what you saw in that video then you do not understand electronic music.

you guys make me sad. or maybe i've just been trolled. whatever.

what's wrong with making money off of it? you do realize they have to clear those samples and pay to use them, right?

really, Daft Punk doesn't do sampling any more than Moby, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, or any big player in the electronic music scene.

sampling is part of the art. if you weren't expecting what you saw in that video then you do not understand electronic music.

I probably just don't understand electronic music. I've grown up on rock and only in recent years gotten into electronic music. Heh, actually one of the reasons I used to dislike electronic music was because I felt the people making it didn't have as much talent as "real" musicians who could play the instruments. That has obviously changed. Maybe this is just the next logical step in thought.

This just makes me love your music more.

Okay Update.

But uh.

This talk about Daft Punk sampling music into their music.

This is how it goes down.

The reason for Daft Punk using samples in their album Discovery was just simply in the album name itself. Discovery. They grew up with those artist. The just wanted people to know what they discovered when they were growing up. In a way it's a discovery for us.

Part 1

Part 2

That doesn't make them any more creative. All the riffs shown in the video are really cool, and they are what makes the actual songs good. DP didn't make them, or even really build on them. :(

Exactly my qualms. It's not that they sample - a lot of great musicians do that, and it can be very enjoyable. But DP can just take a song from the 70s/80s, slap a vocorder, some filters, and a bass beat on it, and release it and sell millions. D: The worst part is that people don't realize they're being "ripped off" in some form. Thomas Bangalter is the master of this over-sampling - he's made a career out of for this for quite a while (and not just from DP - guy has god-know-how-many pseudonyms for music-making).

I really have to disagree. I've been big fans of all the groups mentioned (including Daft Punk) at one time or another (but currently am not, so I have no reason to defend these artist), and I really feel like DP goes way outside normal artist limits in this. When I listen to those other groups, I can hear the samples, and they're tasteful. They compliment an original song. But DP doesn't do that. It sounds like they start with the sample as their base. They build from that, and it shows.

Sorry, kind of a rant. But I can't understand how people defend them in this - it's not creative or artistic. OCR does creativity - to take a song and completely re-imagine it. DP does something totally different, and in my opinion, inferior.