Pokémon R/B/Y - Thunder Stone

Dr. Rod

Hi, Im new to this site, and I could really use some advice on how to improve this remix Ive been working on. Ive been at it for about two weeks now, and I think my foundation is pretty good, but I'd like to know how to make it better. I wanted to keep the length short because I intended to use it for an ITG stepfile (dance game). Any constructive input you have about what's good and whats bad, and how to make it better, would be greatly appreciated. I could use all the help I can get, lol.

I think I have the structure I want right now; I know where I wanna go with this, Im just having trouble gettin there. Im still not findin those samples I need : ( I will persevere though, lol

This is where Ive gotten with the remix so far: http://lightningrt.googlepages.com/ThunderStone0.3.mp3

Heres where I was when I started out: http://lightningrt.googlepages.com/ThunderStone0.0.mp3

And here's the original song: http://lightningrt.googlepages.com/TeamRocketHideout.WAV

Ok. Just curious, since Ive had a lot of trouble finding good lead/synth samples online; do u know of any good sites that have a wide variety of synth samples? Ive been on freesound and meanrabbit, but I havent had much luck with those.

Compared to Version 0.0, I think 0.1 is ten times better. I think u filled in some of the really dry areas rather nicely, and I like most of your sample choices. They give the song a very synthetic feel, which it what I think u wanted. The bacground synth towards the middle-end is very gritty though, u need to change that. Also the riff in the very middle gives a nice digital sound, though I think you should build up that section a lot more. My favorite part was the electric piano section with the soft synth in the background...it really gave a mystery effect that was almost cinematic to me.

I dont think u need more instruments, i think u just need to work in some more effects. Delay, phasing, and filtering could do wonders for this song. Typically the problem with the shorter OC remixes is a lack of uniqueness; I think this mix IS unique enough, it just needs a little more body to it.

I mentioned to you before that you need more low end. I specifically said a bass, but I didn't specify exactly what I meant by that.

The kick drum that you put in does help, but you still need one of the most important instruments in there: a bass guitar or some other synth that can hit those low frequencies. That will help fill the sparseness of the soundscape.

Since you're using Reason, I would suggest taking a listen to the bass samples in the Maelstrom and the Subtractor devices. The Combinator may have a few good ones aswell.

Give it a try and see what you hear :).