OCR00686 - Super Mario Kart "Trippin' on Rainbows"

Ginnsu

Super Mario Kart 'Trippin' on Rainbows'

Very Late Night Talk Show Jazzy, is what I like about this piece. It's also got some very experimental parts that you might not expect in something so Jazzy. This definitely has an amazing Trippin' beat to it, and one very sexy sax. I'm definitely loving this mix, and actually if all it had was that sax, I'd still love it. That sax is simply wonderful. Great work, Mazedude.

Pretty good ReMix overall. It definitely sounds like something they'd be playing during cocktail hour. I couldn't really understand what this was until about 1'07 when it cut straight into the song. I think that the background beat adds a little extra to the music itself, setting the lively mood of the music well. Even if this doesn't end up among your favorites collection, it's still well worth listening to.

hum first ~30 sec are a bit too complicated for me. but it picks up nicely. love the sax as well, reminds me of my jazz band saxophonist heh. love the melody at those section. i think to enjoy this, u gotta keep listening throughout the song. give it a chance. nicely done!

A times the sax brings back memories of Kenny G (very bad memories...) and at other times memories of the SNL sax player (very good memories, I've actually met the guy a few times). The electronic sounds don't make me want to say that this sounds like something that would play at a cocktail lounge, but still a great mix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

When I first got a hold of this mix, I shoved it under a rock for a while, having been wholly unnerved by it. But now, returning to it with a more mature taste in music, find it definitely worth listing to a few times. The mix of so many styles along with the frequent unexpected rhythms creates a downright ticklish effect.

For those of you who didn't care for this mix at first, I would recommend giving this worthy mix the chance to grow on you.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another creative and unique remix by Mazedude. Despite the intro's weirdness, I like it. Mysterious and atonal yet very interesting. I love when things pick up and the sax and muted trumpet play back and forth. Nice work encorperating so many things into this mix.

Blue

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow. Just wow. The title really reflects how the song is. Its really really trippy. The range of sounds and instruments is great. This song is a stoners dream. Beats and sounds coming from every which way, its amazing. Im a big fan of Mazedudes work (Sagatsmoonbike fucking rules) and this mix does not dissapoint!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

About a year ago I downloaded all of ocremix at that time, and chucked it into my iTunes playlisting. When I first saw that someone had decided to remix Rainbow Road (which I should point is probably my favourite non-remixed game tune, so I might be bias), I decided I'd take a listen, and at first was very unimpressed.

However this tune has grow on me over time, and I feel stands head-and-shoulders above anything else (not being insulting to the other remixes). It dares to combine a number of styles, and do things which are unexpected and unusual. Truely a great remix of a great song :)

• 7 months later...

I was downloading some remixes I've lost in hard drive crashes and stuff and rembered this remix. It's one of my all time favorites and while I must agree that this isn't the most accessible remix from mazedude, I got right into it from the first listen, and I have no Idea why I haven't recommended this yet :P . So, RECOMMENDED. The dynamics are always fun and they will catch you off-guard in the first listen, but I bet they will leave you with a smile.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, this one needs to grow on you. The intro is way too experimental (read: random) for my tastes. It effectively builds up the piece though, but I think a bit of editing could benefit it as a whole. It just goes on for too long.

Once the theme itself comes in, it's a bit more grounded and it works pretty well.

The sax samples are excellently processed, and really sound like they are floating out into the night. The percussion was aite, and the vibes and strings do a good job of filling out the foundation made by the piano.

Very esoteric but it shines in a few spots, like a rainbow in the sky. -_-

• 11 months later...

This actually reminds me of the swanky musical direction that the next few Mario Kart games would go down, with their jazzy turnpike levels. Those were awesome.

I must admit, I remember reacting strongly against this mix after my first listening, but I also distinctly remember hearing it play in the background some time later and just falling in love with the sax. The sax was the hook I needed to further access the experimental, and often pretty scattershot noisescape that is thrown into this mix. After a few listens, there is so much to admire and enjoy here.

I would definately not call this smooth, nor would I say it is abstract, although some parts are more abstract than others. It's very Mazedude, and it is very worth the time spent growing accustomed to it. It may take longer than some more accessible songs, but the payoff is just as sweet.

• 5 months later...

This is one of my favorite Mazedude mixes. I love how it starts out pretty dark and freaky, with things kind of all over the place and out of tune and then they just kinda of falls into place gradually. By the time you get to the second part of the melody, things have turned pretty upbeat (thankfully still keeping their super weirdness intact) and somehow he manages to use some of the most ultra-cheesy sax riffs I've ever heard and make them work. It's kind of uplifting in a strange way. Also I love those continuous wobbly percussive sounds, makes it sound like you're constantly bouncing off something rubbery.

Great stuff. We could use more Mario Kart remixes.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this is almost like two different mixes in one! :tomatoface:

This is some top notch funky stuff from Mazedude. I love how the first part is dark and mysterious (albeit a little on the experimental side), and then quickly switches up into something more lighthearted. The saxophone I love, the way it fades and echoes makes it almost ethereal, more or less floating over the piece from above. The percussion was very tight, and the strings really fill in the rest of the soundscape that makes this track great.

A definite must download.

This Mix has really grown on me. I wasn't a big fan when I first heard it, but yeah, I definitely appreciate it more after a few listens.

I really like the alternation between the darker, experimental sounding sections, and the upbeat, saxy section. It really makes the Rainbow Road theme shine like it should. A very interesting atmosphere in this piece throughout, and it works. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00686 - Super Mario Kart "Trippin' on Rainbows"
  • 2 years later...
On 6/15/2011 at 9:33 AM, halc said:

ah, came across this one again while browsing Mazedude's homepage.. it's been far too long. this was one of my favorite old-school OCR mixes, and though Maze has come a lonnng way since this

in my book, mazedude just kind of came out of his egg and just was ready to rock by minute 1.

this shit is timeless. i have nothing else to say about it

i mean, maybe he's come a long way but i wouldn't be able to tell, judging from this. if he released this in 2010, i also woulda agreed to him having come a long way-

it's quite crazy.

Edited by Nase