From MIDI Keyboard to USB?

Well... I have a midiman usb 1x1 uno hooking up to my casio wk-3500 keyboard. I made a little tune that is nowhere near complete but I wanted to share it to ask what people thought so far... but then I realized I needed to make it an MP3. I also noticed that the sound doesn't play through my sound card at all, but instead through the keyboard, which, obvioiusly, doesn't have a "make MP3" button on it anywhere. So, how would I put music from my keyboard to MP3?

My guess is that I have to use the two out ports on the back and hook them to something... I don't think I have the right connectors for it though. :whatevaa:

I suppose now would be a good time to say all I have as far as sound cards go is a crappy integrated Intel8x0 card in my motherboard. I was able to deal with the MIDI latency problems one would most likely have with such a crappy card, but now I think the only way to go from MIDI to MP3 would be to pick my entire "studio" up and bring it to school (not going to happen <_<) so that my music teacher can record it. Or bring my MIDI file to the school's lab and record it... but their synths suck. :cry:

Crap. I named the thread wrong (stupid daylight savings time... giving me less sleep...) and I can't change it. Great. <_<

Haha you got screwed

Actually, if you just want to make music entirely on your keyboard you don't need a MIDI cord AT ALL, but actually a standard everyday cheap audio cable, and you'll probably need an adapter, 'cause the out on your keyboard is probably 1/4". As you've found out the hard way, MIDI cables don't actually carry audio signals. Sorry!

Luckily now you can write songs for pretty much nothing since you already have an all-in-one workstation, though you'll likely upgrade in the future because... come on, it's a Casio :P. But all you need for now is a wav recorder like Audacity [google it] and the audio cable and adapter, which shouldn't cost too much. Hooray!

visual reference!

250px-Photo-audiojacks.jpg

OK, then it's just as I thought. I knew which cables I'll need (there are in/out cables that remsemble what's on my dad's turntable system and huge-size headphone jacks, either of which I could use, and something to make it hook up to a plain old microphone/in port on my crappy integrated intel card. I hate this thing <_<)

Another thing - my computer is full of 6-year-old goodness, including a pentium 3 processor and a floppy drive. So, with hardware this old, what are the ways my music can get castrated when I play the song to the keyboard and have it plug back into my computer through the sound port?

Oh, and I already have audacity, thank goodness. I do a lot of StepMania stuff (speaking of which, I should probably get back to work on that) so a waveform editor is priceless for getting gaps and, if I feel like it, calculating BPMs.

My dad is a SuperDJ®, so I should be able to find wires easy. Unless he doesn't have the wires, but then my friend Arjun, who is also a SuperDJ® probably does.

but instead through the keyboard, which, obvioiusly, doesn't have a "make MP3" button on it anywhere. So, how would I put music from my keyboard to MP3?

You don't make mp3s - you simply record the sound coming out of your keyboard using the cables as a wave file (.wav). You then use a so-called encoder to turn that file into an mp3. Free/easy to use : RazorLAME.

You don't make mp3s - you simply record the sound coming out of your keyboard using the cables as a wave file (.wav). You then use a so-called encoder to turn that file into an mp3. Free/easy to use : RazorLAME.

Yeah, I know that. I should've added a sarcasm emoticon there or something. :P

I use audacity and simply export sounds to other formats. I already have lame.