ORC 101: Some dreams are better left faded [Results]

The Orichalcon

- The Original Remixing Competition 101 -

orcstorage.jpg

Welcome to ORC101.

Source Material

Last week's winner was Xela, just narrowly beating out analoq. This week he's decided to go in a different direction to Rexy's source last week, with somewhat of a faded dream in the mix. GEDDIT??

This piece has been influenced by the work of Nobuo Uematsu. I have composed this piece especially for ORC 101 - it's not recycled material either. I wanted to go for something suitably depressing after Rexy's bright and happy pop tune for ORC 100 :D

There are hints at happiness in the music. Who knows, maybe you'll pick up on it and completely change the mood of the piece. Anyway, hope it's remixable and have fun. I'll be looking forawrd to hearing your interpretations.

Xela - Faded Dreams: MP3 - MIDI

Deadline

Your deadline is Monday, March 26th at midnight. So have your pieces in to me before Monday to play it safe.

The Quick Rules Rundown

• 1. Anyone can enter regardless of your remixing ability.
    2. Filesize is limited to 8 meg.
    3. You may only enter one piece.
    4. When you've finished your entry, please PM the link to me (The Orichalcon) before the
deadline. Please do not post the mix in the thread.
5. Along with your submission, you're encouraged to do a short write-up or description of your entry.
6. You may submit your piece as a MIDI, MP3 or OGG file.
7. During the voting period, voters are encouraged to give a short review the pieces they vote in the top 3.

For information on voting and the competition rules, please visit this link

For information on when mixing and voting times start and end please visit this link

The New Rules Better Explained

As you can see, the layout of the post is a little different. Much like TOMC, ORC will now use the first post of the thread as the main means of transaction. All the pieces will be linked here, along with the results. New rules are as follows:

• 1. You must now PM your piece to me, no exceptions. Please do not post the link in this thread at all. If you can't find a host, either email the piece to me as an attachment, or send it over IRC/MSN.
    2. Along with your submission, you're encouraged to do a writeup. This is to help the listener better understand your piece, which can help you with votes in the end.
    3. Much like TOMC, I'll be linking offsite to the results, along with which I'll paste all the votes that I've received. Voters are strongly encouraged to write a short review of why they voted the pieces in first, second and third place. I'll omit the names of the voters for privacy sake before posting them up.

Hey, I really like what you came up with there Xela... If I find the time before deadline (this Saturday if I understood it correctly?) and manage to record without too much static and stuff I'll give it a try! What's the worst that can happen, right.

Hey, I really like what you came up with there Xela... If I find the time before deadline (this Saturday if I understood it correctly?) and manage to record without too much static and stuff I'll give it a try! What's the worst that can happen, right.

I think (read) it's monday.

I will vote for this one.

Yeah I reread the whole thing and that would seem right. First I just clicked on that last link and confused myself, hehe.

Anyway, like NutS said, while it's still really cool it is not the simplest to revamp, atleast not for a rookie like myself. Will pass on this one and focus on getting my stuff working, see what you others do with it and get some ideas.

sourcetune was blah, but i forced something out of it.

also, wasn't ORC supposed to run opposite of PRC? whats with this parallelism.

yeah I thought about that too. Not to pop any debate TO but the organization so far has been kinda sketchy.

But, as long as the competition is running on a (fairly) constant basis I don't really care much.

sourcetune was blah, but i forced something out of it.

also, wasn't ORC supposed to run opposite of PRC? whats with this parallelism.

It used to. I didn't really think it was important given that there are many other remix competitions running at various times. I know my organisation has been poor so far, but times are busier than they were when ORC was running fluently from week to week.

PM your votes to Doulifee. He's in complete charge of ORC as of this point. Anyone who sends votes to me will find them unaccounted.

Sir Nuts - Faded Thoughts of a Morning Dreams

Description: The song is complete, not a WIP (2:49).

analoq - Xela's Crusty Sheets

Description: this started out as a decent baroque/contrapunctal interpretation of Xela's main theme but it became a chore so i just wanted to finish it as soon as possible. worthwhile for me in it's own way, nonetheless.. this is a style i haven't visited in a loooong time.

Chrono26 - Dreams not forgotten

"The production on this one is kinda blah since i didnt have too much free time to work on it. i basically played with the chords and made a groove with the progression in double time. then i put lots of different stuff goin on underneath that. i think the arrangment is fun and i hope everyone enjoys."