OCR00688 - Jurassic Park (SNES) "New Age Gipsy Dance Mix"

Saunders

Jurassic Park (SNES) 'New Age Gipsy Dance Mix'

Some nice smooth trancey sounding instrument starts off this mix. The mix really begins at 0:30 I feel, where a sorta bouncy bass comes in with some guitar picking. There’s some clicky percussion here, then some heavier stuff comes in. A pipe of sorts starts up at 1:14 but fades out to the almost lone guitar again after a short bit. Then the bass/percussion comes back and then the pipe, then it starts into something new with a new sample also at about 2:10. Not sure what that is, sounds like another pipe of sorts. After that plays for a bit it goes back to the beginning tune.

Overall it’s an okay tune. Nothing that I personally will rant about though.

3/5

Overall good song. The beginning is very good, I like the feeling it envokes. The beautiful guitar was my favorite part of the song. At 1:14 when the flute came in I felt like it was a little too loud after the very trancy mood and low volume of the music before it. The sample for the pan flute that was used is slightly tinny sounding and needed some vibrato on the longer notes. Also some of the percussion samples were very robotic sounding, for lack of a better word. I don't know if this was intentional but it clashed a little with that wonderful guitar. Don't mind my nit picking, it's a good song and if you've played the game you know what a great track the mountain theme is. Good first submission.

hey i liked this song

another trancy piece, if u enjoyed 'blindisdahbomb' i think u'll enjoy this.

the flute may be a touch loud, but it is taking the melody, so its alright, doesnt take away from the experience. i dont know bout that vibrato, i think it sounds ok with all the gracenote-ish things... (sry bout the non-technical terms again =X) nice little change at 2:15, keeping the trancy feel. gooood mix, something im gonna be listening to to relax

Not a bad remix, it invokes a cool feeling with the begining, but that panflute is too loud for it's own good. It's not a bad remix, although i think pretzel's review was a bit too forgiving.

But then again, he can't really be mean in his reviews.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Jurassic Park" for SNES was a really fun game (but ultimately diabolical in lacking any save or password features), with a handful of songs that are really quite good, if a bit overlooked. (The SNES sequel, if a bit crappier in terms of gameplay, also has some sw33t songs... A remix of the jungle song would be so ::drool::, but nevermind that.) The track texxsound chose to remix plays when you're traversing the mountainous areas (but I guess his title gives that part away ::}) and is easily my absolute favorite from the game: Very trancey, but also tranquil, with a pan flute that simply rocks -- not what one would normally expect from the SNES. Interestingly, that is where texxsound's rendition initially lost me -- the flute in the original sounded -much- better, in my opinion, and in some ways it MADE the song for me. But if I look past the flute in "Gipsy New Age Dance", this remix has some very nice qualities -- that guitar is beautious and, as a whole, it offers a fresh and fully functional ::> perspective of the original, which in VGM remixes is every bit a good thing. I won't be giving your panflute any doggy treats, texxsound, but this may yet grow on me. [bTW, if anyone wants an MP3 of the original song to compare, buzz me by e-mail.] --Reichu

I liked this mix. The guitar was awesome, and the trancey feel the whole song had was cool. I do agree with others though that the flute was too loud, and sounded kinda midi-ish to me.

i agree that the flute sounded a little wierd but overall it is a pretty good mix :)

• 1 year later...

Too underrated, and under downloaded for the quality piece of work that it is.. I love the feel... It reminds me of Hava Nagila.. I dunno y.. I'm not even Jewish.. this song, starts of slow.. gets faster.. lingers in the background for a lot, similar to his newest piece.. definitely an interesting sound

• 2 months later...

I'm not so sure why DJP is so crazy about this mix. Everything is just fantastic, the guitar, the pads, everything. Then the flute comes in. If there's one way to make one part of a song destroy the rest, it's by making it too loud and MIDI-ish. Unfortunately, texxsound has done just that. I love everything in this song except that dad-blasted flute. Everytime it shows up, I cringe. So while I like parts of the song, I can't say I love the whole song. And that's pretty much solely thanks to the flute.

=( 'Tis a shame.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is actually a good remix. Funky beats, and as I´ve noticed beats that goes BOOP-idobidop-BOOP-idobidop, very nice effect dude. And for that pan-flute, I thinks it sounds very natural, the only problem may be that it´s too loud, like someone is blowing right into the mic, it should be better at a bigger distance.

And for the guitar, kewl, gave a more deeper groove to this mix, like if the hero/-ine sits down and think about his/her life he/she has waisted at going around on some island and getting rid of hundreds of reptiles supposed to be extict. Makes you think, eh?

No? Then screw you.

Nice remix texx.

• 4 weeks later...

Review #4 on my "review all" list is the awesome Gypsy Remix from an awesome Super Nintendo game. Well, at least it was awesome in the past. To this day I wish had a save feature. And a plot. But I ask for too much. And I digress.

One thing the game did have (besides raptors jumping out of bushes at you) was a totally kicking sound track. And this song was one of my favorites. Finding it remixed, and remixed well, was very cool. This has a good beat, a good guitar, and a nice synth flute to tie the whole thing together. If there is one thing it lacks, it's diversity, as pretty much the entire piece relies on that background beat. Fortunately, the beat is not heavy enough to ruin it for the rest of the piece, and for that reason, this one gets a 4/5.

• 2 years later...

Kindof rough in some production aspects, but what is here is catchy and cool.

That kick sound is so amazingly loud that it about destroys any goodwill I have towards the mix. It's way beyond annoying territory and into headache-inducing. :-(

The flute needs a bit of reverb, but otherwise it isn't too offensive. It won't fool anyone into thinking it is real, but it's not bad on it's own.

The pads and guitar are nice, but the guitar itself is too buried. It could come up 4-5db and be a lot more prominent.

Overall a nice mix with some great ideas completely ruined by that overbearing kick. :-(

• 3 years later...
Agreed... the flute is crap. It came straight from my YAMAHA-Keyboard cause i had no possibilities to use any SoundFonts or VST Instruments.

But I'm working on a re-done version of it for quite a time, but i just cant find a nice sounding Flute-SoundFont. So if anybody knows a good link it's highy appreciated!

Cheers!

texx

ahaha! I knew it, I have a Yamaha keyboard (PSR-740, it was hot stuff back in the day!) and I noticed that Yamaha has been recycling their sounds and kits for quite a while. I actually recognized the drum kit preset, the high hats and the uber click are very distinct.

Anyway, song's a little dated now, but I remember listening to this one often and enjoying it years ago, and the nostalgia of that alone makes this remix forever cherish-worthy to me. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00688 - Jurassic Park (SNES) "New Age Gipsy Dance Mix"