SNES music BPM? (Beats Per Minute)

I've been trying to figure out how to find the beats-per-minute based on the tempo information in an .spc SNES music file - there has got to be some formula or other that will tell us exactly what the beats-per-minute is.

"Wind Scene" from the Chrono Trigger OST is somewhere between 84 and 85 BPM (i found this out by actually counting the number of beats in a minute and testing repeatedly) but a metronome won't stay in sync for more than 5-10 seconds at either of those tempos.

(BPM Analyzers get that song entirely wrong)

Can anybody help me with this?

There, I went so far as to dig out my original Chrono Trigger OST and rip the song, just for you!

The tempo is 83.91, I even added a drumtrack for you!

http://inverteddungeon.com/triacesuperfan/SnappleMan/WindScene_Click(83.91).mp3

83.91 bpm !?

SWEET! YOU'RE AWESOME !!!!!!

oh ... wow ... you did a really good job on that drumtrack too. its too bad I can't just loop that track and re-use it

what I'm trying to do is to mix together Fort Minor's hip-hop album "The Rising Tied" (just the vocals) with the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, to create a new fan-made album called "Chrono Tied". "Wind Scene" is going to be the background music for "Remember the Name"

i should be able to do that track now. but how did you figure that out?? :)

Import into Cubase, tap tempo for a general value, then go to about half the song and zoom in. I look at the wavform and listen for the upbeat, then I just change the tempo till it matches the click track. Using half values. If I'm at 92 and it's too fast, I go to 91.5, then 91.25 and so on. Keep cutting it in half or adding half till you can get into exact values.

not sure I have cubase anymore - i couldn't figure it out when i had it installed ... maybe i'll find it again.

i tried the number you said last night ... didn't seem to work, but it might just be the program I'm using (Audacity) - does anybody know how to change tempo without changing picth in Adobe Audition?

• 7 months later...

First, most delayed response evar. Second, you would have a midi drumtrack playing at the sequencer's project BPM alongside the actual song as a sample. By adjusting the BPM, it change the tempo of the midi without affecting the recording of the spc, letting you tweak it until it's exact. If you don't have a sequencer of any sort, get REAPER.