I know this is a stupid question, but...

Zircon's suggestion works fine, but I prefer to do fadeouts during post-production in Cool Edit 2 [i never upgraded! Guess why!], and I recommend everyone else do that too. You should have a good dedicated wave editor\recorder like Audacity [or anything a bit higher-end of your choice] so you can look at your waveform before you distribute it everywhere. All wave editors should have some kind of fadeout function, it's always pretty easy to do.

Also, fadeouts on multiple tracks are way easier to keep track of in an editor as opposed to automating several different knobs in FL. When I fade a section I generally don't fade everything at once, but individual tracks at slightly different times for a more organic and realistic feel (i.e., if you physically move away from a drumkit being played, the hats will fade first, followed by cymbals, snare, toms, and finally the kick due to basic acoustic physics).

-steve

Automate the master volume fader using an automation clip.

Being that I (stupidly, I'll admit) bought the "Fruityloops Edition", rather than the "Producer Edition", I can't access the Automation Clip feature, so I guess I'll have to go with OverCoat's suggestion.

Alright, got it. Thanks for the help.

Also, fadeouts on multiple tracks are way easier to keep track of in an editor as opposed to automating several different knobs in FL. When I fade a section I generally don't fade everything at once, but individual tracks at slightly different times for a more organic and realistic feel (i.e., if you physically move away from a drumkit being played, the hats will fade first, followed by cymbals, snare, toms, and finally the kick due to basic acoustic physics).

-steve

That assumes you exported your FL in multitrack form... who does that? SOC is talking about exporting the WHOLE track and then just doing a manual fadeout on the stereo master. Which really is no different than using an automation clip on the master fader in FL...

But since this guy can't do auto clips, the point is moot I suppose.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm fairly certain event editing is an option in any version of FLStudio. Make sure you're in the desired pattern for the event to be linked to, and right click a knob and select 'edit events.' If it's a knob from some VST or effect that has some crazy graphical interface, you might need to get to the edit events another way, such as clicking on the little dropdown thing at the top left corner of the particular window and clicking "browse parameters" and then right clicking the knob of your choice out of the ones that will display in the browser.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me, what is the deal with automation tracks? What sets them apart from normal event editing and how do they work?

Instead of fading out the master volume, there's a better, easier way to do it that will be much smoother (since 100% on the master volume is actually like 82.5% on in the event editor or something). Basically, just add a Fruity Mute 2 effect to your master channel, set it to off, and set the insert percentage to 0%. Then when you want to fade out, just automate the insert knob to increase to 100%. That way, no more fucking with actual volumes and stuff, so should you have to change the volumes later when mixing or smth it doesn't fuck up your automation.