OCR01563 - Max Payne "Tragedy of a Bullet"

djpretzel

This may very well be the most unique remix I've ever heard... But I'm not so sure it's OC ReMix material. It just seems like it lacks polish... If more time had been spent on the mix, I'm sure it would of been much better.

What in the hell are people smoking? This remix has to be acknowledged as one of the most emotive on the site. I've loved it since the original.

I will say one thing against it and that is... drums? C'mon... I remember when this was just vocals with a bit of reverb, and that version rocked my world. All this extra stuff was unnecesary and takes it down a notch in my opinion. The drums are so obviously beat boxing loops that the artistic value of this song just drops through the ground. I'll keep my original version, and use that when I praise your skillz.

Gorgeous.

Yes the pitch on the male isn't quite there and leaves a little to be desired. And because of this, I won't disrespect anyone who can say 'yeah, it's neat, but it isn't my cup of tea.' But LISTEN to the character of the voices and how they compliment the rest of the song it's not hard to hear how pitch is NOT the biggest factor hear.

Haunting is accurate, unique is accurate, not for everyone is (unfortunately) accurate, but the adjective that's most appropriate for this piece in my opinion is SEXY.

Hard for a piece like this not to affect your mood.

I can respect that he has tried to do something original, but this just sounds awful. I could barely get through the whole thing. Seriously terrible.

EDIT: I'm seriously sorry for what an asshole I was about this. Regardless of whether I liked it or not, I should not have said such insulting things.

Edited by oakthielbar
I was an asshole

The whole four minutes sound like an intro (or a bridge) that doesn't lead to anything, and is mixed too low and muddy. The voice is beautiful, but beyond its similarity in tonality and inflection to Thom Yorke, this comes across to me like an imitation of Radiohead, rather than something inspired by the group. It sounds like a bridge from a Radiohead song: specifically, it's very similar to the bridge from "Paranoid Android" (e.g. "Rain down, rain down... / That's it sir, you're leaving" etc.).

I love the concept here, and I think the voice is gorgeous in a flawed, haunting way, but this doesn't feel finished. There could have been more harmonization of vocals to make it more interesting, or more deviation from and interpretation of the source, or more sound effects as one of the judges mentioned--or any of a number of things that would preserve the stark, haunting tone of the whole piece, while pushing it to the level of completeness and quality we've come to expect from OCR.

This is a lovely piece, and like many great WIPs I've found in the forums, I'll keep it on my hard disk, but I don't get the sense of it being complete, interpretive, or polished enough for the front page. Just my opinion. To the remixer himself: your voice is beautiful; I'd love to hear more vocal mixes from you that push beyond imitation.

I don't see what the big controversy is about.

This song had soul, I felt exactly what it was emoting. That in itself is amazing, and now this is probably one of my favorite vocal mixes on OCR, after just two or three listens.

I didn't feel distracted by any of the backing instruments... But that's not the point, a voice is an instrument, it's in the forefront of this song. Everything in the back is... In the back, but it helps drive the vocals along fine enough, gives the song a sense of climax at the right moments, then goes back when needed. Sometimes all a song needs is a small beat. The instruments are minimalist here, but the vocals DEFINITELY are not.

I pretty much agree with dhsu, this is what I wish there was more of on this site. I've never really played Max Payne, but this sure as hell makes me want to, just to hear the source of all this wonderfully interpretive vocal emotion.

There's been several remixes in the past that have made me itched to register just to comment on how brilliant they are. This particular work, however, got that (small) honour.

Who cares if the pitch is a little flat at times...on the whole it is very well done and it is chillingly evocative of the memories of playing the two shooters that have impressed me the most on the PC. Hats off.

I'd still like to hear that acoustic mix of it though...

I went into this piece not sure what i was downloading... but well.. wow.

I can definitly see how some people might be turned off by it, but MAN is this a creepy song. The kinda thing that puts you on the edge of paranoia... I like it! ^_^ Most certainly one of the more unique songs ive heard come out of OCR in my long days of lurking here.

I definately remember hearing this on the wip boards or something.

Reading the reviews, I think people are bashing this for the wrong reasons. Pretty long at the start and repetitive, other things perhaps could've happened in the background, piano starts getting to me after a while. But after that it totally pulls through into the Max Payne theme where I think "man that sounds like a pretty awesome version for a Max Payne 3". The whole solemn, disturbing feeling through the vocals and the harmony is the twinkle here, giving the impression that this is remixed better than initially percieved.

I like this for standing out and being gutsy, and keeping to its nature. Thank god the judges passed it, that's always the 'you'll never know' aspect.

I remember this one from the wip boards too. Glad to see that it made it on the site.

I have to agree with the people that enjoyed this piece. It's just so different that I had to appreciate it. The original tune is just so great and this is a really nice way to pay homage to it. I don't think that something more beat-oriented or uptempo would have done it justice.

I'm also very glad that Neil Benjamin got another one up here. I've listened to Far Away Memories more times than I care to count. You have a knack for memorable concepts.

utterly amazing, haunting, somber, and mournful, especially when the main theme kicks in at 2:40. i could care less about any out-of-tuneness some are complaining about; i really think it adds to the gritty-streetcorner-under-a-streetlight chorus feel. definitely recommended.

Lots of people here are replying regarding criticisms of the tuning. Was anyone really criticizing the mix primarily because of that? I haven't observed that in the thread, and, being of the dissenting voters, I can say that was not one of my main problems. I thought that the minimalism *combined with* the vocal imperfections (and not just the tuning), along with an arrangement that stuck close to the original and weaker backing elements, contributed to my vote.

Ultimately though, I am glad this was posted. It's always risky to mix in a less popular style, and to expose your own voice like Neil did takes guts.

Radiohead is the obvious reference point, but it goes further than mere imitation. Seems somehow anticlimactic on first impression, but repeated listens are more rewarding. Tuning issues are minor and do indeed add to the general atmosphere of human frailty. Fascinating stuff and very brave.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01563 - Max Payne "Tragedy of a Bullet"