OCR01563 - Max Payne "Tragedy of a Bullet"

djpretzel

This must be one of the most polarizing mixes on the site. Personally, I think it's phenomenal. The emotion is so strong and heartfelt - I'm not even sure a better quality vocal would capture the same air of desperation. Great atmospheric effects, and the beat is just oppressive. I'm extremely glad that OCR took a chance on this one, it seems to have found its audience.

No idea why this mix ended up being polarizing, when it's obvious it has so much creativity and emotion behind it. There are aspects that could be improved in the execution (as were pointed out in our votes), but those were minor in the big picture. The vocals definitely weren't one of those things. The Radiohead comparison made all the sense in the world.

Whether a mix represents the mood or story of the game it's arranging makes no difference to how the judges vote. But that said, the backstory and imagery behind the mix completely justify the risky choices made here and add another unique layer of enjoyment.

The super extended intro and build. The minimalism. The vocals. Everything Neil did here comes together with such a synergy. Very, very cool.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01563 - Max Payne "Tragedy of a Bullet"