2D Game Development (help!)

supremespleen

So, I have a fantastic idea for a 2D platformer game and I want to begin work on it. Originally I was considering using Game Maker 7(the program that made Seiklus). Now I'm considering using one of the Clickteam products(one of which brought us Knytt).

I really have no knowledge of programming or anything of that sort, so I think one of those sorts of programs would be best for me.

Are there any other programs like that (especially free things!)? What's good, what sucks? What should I learn how to do?

All advice is appreciated.

I tried Gamemaker 6 and it was decent, I was starting to like it. Though I was heading more towards RPG game-making so I ended up with RPGMaker. Try making simple things first to test them out and see which programs are less annoying then others :? That's how I usually decide on things.

• 5 months later...

From my experience, GM7 is going to be your best bet. It's a bit slow starting off learning to program and the like, but if you're going to pursue this further, GM is the way to go, as a huge amount of the stuff you learn will later apply to C++ and the like. MMF is a bit simpler, but has a pretty different way of doing things. GM7 is really powerful and you can make some awesome stuff. I have plenty of experience with it, so if you have any questions, shoot me a PM!