OCR00690 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Metal Gear May Cry"

orkybash

I love Jared Hudson, his pieces are always epic and film-quality, and then some. This, in particular because of its impetuous use of choral patches and gothic bells. I can't get enough. I might have to send a little e-mail to Mr.Hudson, asking for his permission to use some of his stuff (including this) in one of my movies one day. Fantabular work. :D:D:D

I have a question, before I review this.

Some time ago, someone sent me an MP3 labeled "Metal Gear Solid 2 - Orchestrated Theme (GREAT Quality).mp3" with an ID3 tag saying it was by an "Unknown Artist". Is that the previous version mentioned? I can hear similarities in places, but this new one sounds VERY different in all areas...

To be honest, I like the original better than the remastered version, even though I can't honestly say I notice a difference between the two. ;)

It's one of the few songs in my collection that I can let loop for well over an hour without getting sick of it, though. :)

This ReMix has certainly stood out from my ReMix collection - very intricate and well timed, with a constantly changing tone - certainly worth listening to, and is a ReMix you can leave looping for ages without getting sick of it - impressive Jared - well done!

I think this remix basically takes a dump on about 99% of the songs here at OCR. This is such an incredible song, I heard it once, I immediatly put it onto my next mix. While I haven't heard the original (or played either of the games, call me sick if you want), this has become one of my favorites here at OCR. Damn, at 2:10, or somewhere around there, its sheer amazement, probably my favorite part. Excellent creshendos, crashes, gothic chorus worked so goddamn well, 10/10, I'd give it more if I could, EXCELLENT JOB!!! I could probably listen to this all night without getting sick of it. I think I'm gonna try that...

I love this piece! The piano's are so sweet! I fell in love with how the piano's have a little bit of reverb! The organ is not lacking, either! The choir is nice and adds a solemn feel to the whole piece. The church organ only adds to that feeling, but the piano warms things up. The percussion, superb! Turn up your sub woofers! And then the brass instrumental pieces, they provide a very nice melody. The piano's do, but they can only go so far. The brass instruments pick up where the piano's leave off. They also add a nice support for the piano's right around 2:30. Then, around 2:50, full blown melody. Again, very nice! At the end, 3:30 or so, back to the piano's and choir, with the brass as backup again. 4:43, back to the brass, and then piano's are added to the brass melody and brass backup. And then, the end. Done like a classic, ends with a cymbal and silence. Overall, one of the best I have heard from here! Keep up the excellent work, Mr. Hudson!

Well, this is another great remix. Damn. What else to say...I haven't played either of the games that this is a remix of. While there are some repeating things, Hudson managed to disguise it well enough that I can't even explain how they exist effectively. The choral stuff is done well and doesn't dominate the piece, instead working with the music. I've listened to it several times, and haven't gotten tired of it yet. 9.3 out of 10 on the CRAZY MAN'S SCALE.

My favorite part is the bit where the melody breaks away for a second. It just feels neato.

I have to say that I am completely satisfied with this remix in every way. The sound quality is the best I've heard in a long time, the way he transtitions from section to section is seamless, this song is the way I would have liked the original to sound. What more can I say? This song embodies everything I want from a remix. :D:D:D

This song is very VERY awesome. It infallibly pumps the listener up to the point of wanting to jump around the house with a broomstick slaying imaginary demons... or russians... or whatever... (Depending on which game you're going from!) I've always thought that the MGS theme was dramatic as hell, and throwing the DevilMayCry stuff in there keeps all the drama (If not pumping it up even more) and throws a totally different tone on the whole thing. So sweet. This one made it in to my Dungeons and Dragons session soundtrack, you better believe it! I mean, how can you not picture a brutal, emotionally charged swordfight winding up a rainswept tower set to this piece? Dramatic as hell. Brilliant. Congradulations, Jared, on touching our hearts!

Umm... yeah.

Well, after all this time, I felt it would be good to at least say exactly what the hell I changed in this song for anybody questioning what was different.

Here's the lowdown: :wink:

Enhanced Percussion

Enhanced Ending

Added Vocals

Sequencing Lag Eliminated

Decibel Peaking Eliminated (no static)

Mix balancing improved

So ya see? It's not that I redid the song so much, it's just that I improved its quality. I wasn't pleased after hearing the first version for awhile, especially when djpretzel suggested I do some things to it so its release on OCR would be unique. Well, there ya have it. :D

Jared Hudson (fxscreamer)

• 2 weeks later...

Quite simply, I think that this particular tune is the best on the site. Wether you know of the original or not, or even of the game from wence it came, the song grabs hold of you and takes you on a journey of epic proportions. The music is crisp and fluent, the transition from section to section is awesome, and everything else is music candy for the ears. Definately worth burning onto a CD (with permission of course) no matter what kind of music you like listening to. This one is for the ages, and it will take a pure masterpiece to knock this song off my list. Personally, I think even the great John Williams would have a hard time topping this one.

Well theres a lot to say about this song, its gothic, its got this whole Devil May Cry atmosphere, wich is great. This song has got a lot of artistical value and sound clarity.

But on my personal review .. this song is something quite different, i dont usually listen to this kind of things, but i like it. On the direct point of view, it has the voice-pad that make it sound like some sort of church, some very nice orchestral adds like trumpets and brass instruments, some very nice orchestral drums.

This mix moves a lot of things but doesnt have much feeling to it. The song is bold, wich is somewhat of a good thing, but for someone seeking a song that moves them, or changes their feelings, you might want to check elsewhere. For someone who just wants music, this is probably the best choice there is and ever will be.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00690 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Metal Gear May Cry"