OCR00690 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Metal Gear May Cry"

orkybash

• 1 month later...

Well, have been long time since last time i visited this webpage and is still working, oh, great!

I dont know why now i put my insight about this remix but i remember download it through AudioGalaxy (time time ago) where the title of the artist was "John Williams". Understand me. A John Williams score about MGSolid should be a must it. And I believed it when I finished of download it.

Later through this site i discovered the fake and that was a "Jared Hudson" who made it. And i'm still gotting the same opinion as if Williams made it. Simply marvelous.

This is, without any kind of doubt, one of my Top 5 of the remixes of this site and also one of my favourite score it that wasn't a remix.

Since that, i downloaded all Hudson stuff. Is worthy it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If the Phantom of the Opera conducted a philharmonic orchestra, I would imagine it'd be something like this. Sweeping, dramatic, haunting, cinematic, Gothic, emotion-filled, a treat to listen to. This is a anthem with a sense of purpose. My goodness, how I would love to see this performed live....

Admittedly I can't really find any fault with it; it's amazing, wonderful, awesome, and should belong in everyone's OCR playlist.

While 2:51 is the official start of the MGS2 source, the extended intro is like a spiritual warmup for a holy army. First, a church bell and choir reminiscent of the DMC soundtrack provide an angelic hook. Second, the twinkly piano and symphonic organ put minds in motion by inviting listeners to follow their rapid notes. Finally, the drumwork, accompanied by select quips of a military snare, seem to put bodies in motion for a set of calisthenics. Then there's a few breaks for the followers to say their prayers or give to charity or what have you.

And to our lord Metal Gear, amen.

- OCR 690:5:30

• 2 weeks later...

This progresses nicely, it's a very moving, paced remix that, unfortunately, takes a lot of time to get to the actual source. I can't tell if you're actually remixing DMC music or just taking inspiration from the soundtrack since nothing is listed on the database other than the MGS theme, but as a standalone song I'm not bothered by the long intro.

Really impressive use of some lesser-used orchestral instruments such as the choir and organ, it helps to set it apart from all the other orchestral songs on the site that I've kind of grown tired of. The delayed piano sample seems kind of cliched at this point but I won't hold it against this mix. Honestly, I didn't even realize this was a pre-OCR01000 song, the production sounds great even by today's standards. This is the kind of gem I love hearing as I sift through some of the earlier songs on the site!

Really fantastic work that holds up completely by today's standards. I'll be keeping this one!

I see the last boss fight with this song, Metal Gear VS Snake (all beated, ready to give the last hit ) in a old temple, the morning sun giving its first beams through the holes of the old building , remembering them that this is a new day, and snake saying: this is over... *BANG!*

just epic

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Pretty groundbreaking for it's time; it's songs like this that really push anyone who remixes forward to improve, as it gives an idea of what is really possible. Jared hasn't done any remixes on OCR in awhile, but has taken his talents to the pro world, but I think these tracks hold up incredibly well, and are inspiring to remixers even today.

Excellent work.

• 1 month later...

I haven't listened to this mix in about four years, and yet listening to it today, it's like it never left me. The neural pathways were still as fresh and sturdy as ever. That's a sign of good music (or maybe just a sign of how much I listened to it all those years ago).

The acclaim of this mix is pretty notorious, so I guess I won't have anything new to say about it. This is a very signature piece of music; an extremely Hudsonian arrangement, if you will, and there is some noticeable overlap between this mix and his other mixes.

Still, this comes through as an integral mix in the constant transition from the old ways to the new ways of OCR mixing. The emphasis on realism and the grandiose really put the remixing scene into its place and gave bland and lazy remixers a reason to be nervous. Most of all though, it gave everybody access to a whole new tier of great music. And that's something I'm sure we're all thankful for.

This...this is my favourite arrangement, hands down. The level of epic emotions contained within the 5 minutes of this piece create a sense of majesty that I believe is very hard to ignore.

If memory serves, this was the first OCR track I had ever listened to, through a flash movie, and had to track it down.

From the moment the piece begins, you feel as though you're preparing yourself for some monumental task or event. The build-up is a nice mix of tension and subtle releases, flowing into the 1 minute mark where the piece becomes MGS-centred (which I consider to be the meat of the arrangement). At that point, it does feel as though we're given another build-up. In some ways, the arrangement could have started at 1:03 mark really and no one would be the wiser; making the first minute seem in some ways like a paste on job.

The instrument choices help cement the impression of power and awe within this, and create the Devil May Cry link that I could not quite pick out. In some ways, you can tell the age of the track due to the production values, but don't get me wrong, they are still pretty damn impressive.

On that matter, I did find it hard to pick out the DMC elements, but I believe that's one of the draws of this piece. The two sources are combined so well that it's as though they had alawys belonged together. Kudos!

I took me a long time to force my best friend to listen to this, but once he did, his impression was the same as mine -- who knew someone could take such a well loved theme and turn it into something like this?

Whenever I want a dose of inspiration in my day-to-day activities or drift off and daydream about grandeur, this is the track I put on. One day, I hope to be able to do something like this, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This has got to be one of the most emotionally inspiring pieces I've ever heard (remix or original). and is 1000x better than any of the official MGS arrangements (this is coming from a die-hard Harry Gregson-Williams fan). The DMC connection is questionable, since little more than the tone of the first phrase is close to DMC. Absolutely one of the best remixes on the entire site!

• 4 years later...

The other day i was cruising down the street in my 350z shuffling through tracks on my ipod with the volume raised high on my sound system and i ran across this gem of a track out of 10,000 other songs. It took about 2 seconds for me to remember what track it was. I went home and found out through itunes that i had added the song back in 2006!!! Now here's the crazy part!!! (for me at least), I last played the song on July 5, 2007! I thought it was just nuts that even after that many years, i almost instantly recognized your tune and enjoyed every second of it. In fact, i played it 6 times in the car and then i finally got home. I looked up where this song came from and here i am now. I made an account just to even comment on this thread to express how to you how much i love this track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00690 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Metal Gear May Cry"
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...