OCR00691 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Love Hurts"

orkybash

Ah, my all time favorite vg-mix :) For some reason, it affects me deeply, and has almost made me cry few times :D Yeah I know, I'm a whimp...

Well, on to the actual song then. Tbh, I really don't know what should be done differently. I know I hear some things that don't blend in in my head (like the part at 1.49), but I just can't bring myself to think badly of it. If something was done differently, it might not have the same, melodramatic effect on me. I had it as my alarm-clock tune for like what, 2 years? Every single morning (not literally) I woke up to djpretzel - Sonic the Hedgehog Love Hurts. Yeah, I like it a little.. :D

So, as you might have alredy figured, I really, really like this song. I really don't know why, 'cause I know there are some things in this song that I'd usually hate. Might be the melody, might be something else. Who knows, who cares, the important thing is the fact that this is a treasure right here.

• 1 month later...

I just want you to know that this is the best remix of a so special music (yeah it is very special for me, means all my childhood, long story) that I've ever heard. It is emotional, it is sad and deep, it is really an inspiration. I wrote a lyric for this remix in my mother language Portuguese and i sang it and it was... really special. Thank you for such lovely mix!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...WOW. This is excellent stuff. This remix capitalizes on a vague yet distinct emotional theme that I've detected in the Marble Zone's music. It always seemed tragic to me in a way (and not only because of all the rings I would inevitably lose just getting out of there alive), and even though I've never seen the beer commercial that apparently helped to inspire it...this has become one of my favorite remixes on the site. Wonderful job, DJP.

• 9 months later...

I've never posted here before but had to post something after listening to Sonic The Hedgehog "Love Hurts". Yup, love does hurt. And this tune right here surrounds you with emotions, feelings and that sweet/bitter heart ache. It has a very 'blue' feel to it. This remix is so full of heart and character. It's sad, deep and inspiring. Most unbelievable remix! Gorgeous!

I love the groovy 70s feel to it. Fantastic use of retro style instruments. Both the organ and bass fit right in (some have been complaining about this). Djpretzel has remixed this tune to perfection. Thank you for such a beautiful piece of music. There's so much more to say but I just can't find the right words.

My fav bits:

• 0:48 - echoing guitars
  • 1:08 - I love the way how chorus is repeated 4 times unlike twice as in the original Genesis version
  • 2:15 & 3:04 - very emotional parts these two
  • 3:38 - lovely organ / leads follow through

I salute you djpretzel, sir, for giving us a chance to enjoy such lovely tunes. God bless you and wish you all the best.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, this is really over-the-top. I'll be honest, some parts of it sounded like they were just trying too hard to be funky, but that doesn't really lessen the enjoyability factor. The electric piano and the organ particularly work well for me... samples hold up to today's standards, and the arrangement is a great take on a classic source.

I don't know if this is one of my favorite djp mixes (there are a lot of them!) but it's definitely worth checking out for anyone looking for a downright fun groove!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is some pretty funky stuff going on! I gotta hand it to you, DJP, you make damn good ReMixes for the site and I think this is one of your best. The organ, the electric piano, the utter funk and bass and overall, it's a good rendition of combined original tune and source tune. The ethnic instrument bit was also funny and unexpected. It works with the genre here for some reason, but I wouldn't have thought so if I didn't hear it here. This ReMix made Marble Zone even more enjoyable to listen to.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00691 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Love Hurts"