OCR00693 - Final Fantasy X "Far from Home"

orkybash

• 3 weeks later...

Love the song. One of my favorites from the FFX collection and i have them all. The freestyle piano has to be the best part because it shows how you amde this remix your own. It is also so catchy you want to hear it over and over again. So i put it on a cd and its out in my car where i listen to it like any other cd. Great job!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Someone has it right that by today's standards the mix feels dated. There isn't much going on in terms of original material, but the small variations in the melody are nice. I wish he had used those variations to move into and out of new stuff.

I'm not entirely crazy about the combination of instruments. I feel like there's something missing, but I can't place my finger on it.

Overall I do like the piece. It's an enjoyable mix, and is certainly something I don't mind pulling up every so often.

• 1 year later...

This song has been sitting on my computer for years. Now, I finally listen to it, and I feel like a fool. If I had known it was remixing To Zanarkand, I would've listened to it long ago. Not just that, but I've been looking for backing tracks for this song for The Black Mages version called The Skies Above. But, this is perfect! While I doubt it would be used as a backing track, it can give me an idea as to how to sing the lyrics. Thank you very much. I thoroughly enjoyed this remix, since it remixes my favourite song, and I will be listening to this song many times to come.

• 3 months later...

A classic VGM source track that unfortunately ended up being a remix too mechanical for even me. :/

I do like that it started out with just pads at first, as opposed to the traditional piano, and the piano deviation in the second half was pretty good stuff. Otherwise it's the same velocity piano over and over. Some cool ideas, but the execution was pretty weak. Sorry dude, not diggin it. :-(

• 4 months later...

I gotta say I really like this mix. Yes, I can see the complaints about it sounding a bit dated and mechanical, but it also has a lot going for it IMHO. The extensions to the base melody seem so natural that they've become part of my internal impression of what "To Zanarkand" sounds like. On top of that I really like the piano solo... I want more of that. It'd be nice to see Orkybash make a triumphant return like a few other old timers have lately.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Dated, mechanical....sure this has a lot of issues that plenty of early, early ReMixes suffer from, but at times like this, it's the arrangement and what the ReMix was going for that shows whether it's a classic or a ReMix that just hasn't held up to me. Orkybash has a tendency to straddle that line for me a lot, usually to the positive, but as a guy who loves FFX's music and some of the ideas shown here, there is nothing about this ReMix that would keep me from listening to it again.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00693 - Final Fantasy X "Far from Home"