WIP: Sonic Adventure - Don't Be Sad (Event: Sadness remix)

Theory of N

Awright, so I didn't get much love in my last wip thread (which is more or less dead now) so here's an updated version.

Keep in mind, I still need to record some sax into it (hence the emptiness and repetitiveness). Dad's been having trouble with his recording equipment so it may be a while. But comments/feedback/constructive critisism is appreciated.

Still a noob when it comes to EQing, so tips on that would be very helpful as well.

http://ton.escariot.net/DontBeSad.mp3

Sounds pretty good so far.......I would say my biggest criticism is that the basal piano synth pattern gets pretty repetitive. When you change its pitch towards the middle-end, that starts to bring my interest back up, but prior to that it kind of drags on. U might wanna mix the up. The melody is definitely interesting though, and I think uve done a good job of taking an initially sad song and giving new emotion to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice intro! The song starts too abruptly to mine ears. Perhaps a reverse crash to add some transition?

The drums you're using are really thin. I'd beef them up or use a different drumkit. They also don't do much; toss them up! Add some fills, crashes, etc!

That mallet instrument is dead sexy! Aw, gone so quickly?

I like the use of the chords but the instrument you chose is pretty bland. The keychange at 1:29 needs some kind of fill or transition.

The movement around 2:00 is ridiculously abrupt too. The instruments here sound like they were lo-pass filtered but I'm not sure why? The effect is lost on me. I guess I just don't agree with the arrangement choice.

Hm, after listening to this 3-4 times I'm starting to get a headache. This might have too much low-end. I dunno, I think it's way too repetitive as it is. I like the ending but again the filter seems unnecessary.

So yeah lots of really smooth instruments here. Given what you've done so far I'd say go with a sexier sound, like something Josh Morse would do. Eh?

Hope that helps! Sorry for the crazy randomness.