Final Fantasy 9 'You're Not Alone Vocal Mix'

4-5 Recording Up

So, I did another recording, and I think I'm liking this one much more than the previous two. Again, asking comments.

The stupid thing I did manage to do is save over the file with the last verse before I added it in, so it's not complete, but nearly so.

And for those of you asking, I will be adding in the last part (ohhhhs), I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks for all your critiques!

Without the effects in play, it's hard to tell how well the vocals will mesh with the instrumentals. With some fancy reverb, delay, layering and such, it could work. I don't have much experience working vocals, so I'll let more qualified people comment on that. How the vocals end up sounding will make or break the mix though, so handle that with care. ;)

I might suggest adding a tad more depth to the instrumentals also. They get the job done, but they don't offer much else to the mix to keep it interesting.

The idea was to sing it all together so the volume would be the same as well as the 'mood' my voice was in.

Not to be nit-picky here, but singers, in studio situations, RARELY get a vocal track all in one take. I mentioned this in the Pokemon project, and I will say it again:

I can't express to you how important it is for you to break these phrases up so that you can accomplish the best possible tone and sound that you can. Not only will it make this MUCH easier for you, but it will also help you become a better singer, and here's why. I'm going to quote you again here:

The idea was to sing it all together so the volume would be the same as well as the 'mood' my voice was in.

It will teach you how to do THAT VERY THING for different takes. It will also teach you more about the compression process for vocals, since many, if not most, artists are compressed.

I defy anyone to show me a vocalist who is capable of nailing a song EVERYTIME in one take. Some of the editing that recording engineers do to a vox track to make it sound the best would blow your mind. At one point, I had to record a guy singing, and he did 4 different takes. After that, we had to go back in, line by line, and pick the best out of the 4. We cut and pasted the "best take."

Again, it's NOT uncommon to do and I HIGHLY encourage you to start. Take what's good, trash what's bad, and redo the parts that you trash.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I've always recorded things in takes, usually a phrase or a sentence at a time. For example, in one of the verses I did 13 recordings of it before I felt I had enough material that I could get everything in tune.

What I wanted to do was get the whole song done in a sitting, as opposed to doing one verse one week and another the next week. Speaking of which, I should have an update tonight if my roommate has rehearsal like I think she does...

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I've always recorded things in takes, usually a phrase or a sentence at a time. For example, in one of the verses I did 13 recordings of it before I felt I had enough material that I could get everything in tune.

What I wanted to do was get the whole song done in a sitting, as opposed to doing one verse one week and another the next week. Speaking of which, I should have an update tonight if my roommate has rehearsal like I think she does...

sweet, I'm looking forward to it :D, good luck with the final version of it.

I've always recorded things in takes, usually a phrase or a sentence at a time. For example, in one of the verses I did 13 recordings of it before I felt I had enough material that I could get everything in tune.

What I wanted to do was get the whole song done in a sitting, as opposed to doing one verse one week and another the next week.

VERY glad to hear you already putting this into practice.

But don't be affraid to step back for a while and then return to it and approach the parts that are still iffy. It's not uncommon at all for vocalists to tackle a song several times which are days, weeks, and even months apart from each take. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" certainly applies here. If you have something good, there's no need to change it.

Like I said, keep what's good, and redo what needs to be worked on. The human voice is a fickle thing, but it is also one of the the most versatile instruments that, if trained and experienced, can do some amazing things.

I agree with Tweek's comments about making a recording. However, there's a lot to be said for singing the entire song all the way through. Obviously, you can't edit live performances; the audience hears what they hear and you can't change that. Plus, while editing vocal parts produces the "best" results, being able to do a track (or at least large parts of a track) in one take is a good skill to have.

Plus, while editing vocal parts produces the "best" results, being able to do a track (or at least large parts of a track) in one take is a good skill to have.

Absolutely!! However, it's one of those skills that develops over time and experience from the small takes and tracking little by little. It honestly does get easier and easier the more you perform in studio situations.

I think I'm just saying to make sure you aren't sacrificing quality in order to get it done in one take or in one sitting.

^Certainly not. The plan (hope) was to get a majority of it done well in one take while my voice was in the same mood, and then later on do the touch ups. I've had some recordings were I break apart the verses in days and the voice just doesn't have the same quality. I find it distracting, so I was hoping to get as much done as possible.

I did record last night, but haven't editted yet, so I'll check into that tomorrow. I don't think the results were very good though, so it might have to wait. *sigh*

Oh lord, the singing in this is horrible. Sounds like a bad high school recital. My suggestion to you is to take the singing out. It sounds very faux-operatic, just doesn't work at all.

As far as the music goes, it's extremely overcompressed, and it sounds like cheesy karaoke. The arrangement is extremely repetitive and doesn't go anywhere. The drum sounds are pretty bad also.

Overall, it seems to me like this song needs a level of work that you're not capable of. I'm sorry to sound rude, but you are a poor singer. If I were you, I'd put this song on hold and take some lessons to try and develop a singing voice. You sound very nassally and generic, and your range is much lower than what you're attempting to sing.

Again, sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but the truth is, if you've been working on this song for 2 years and this is the result... you don't really have much hope unless you learn how to properly sing and arrange music.

Good luck!

Hah, no need to get angry. You wanted feedback, you got some you didn't want to hear. You can either be a child about it and dismiss what I said, or you can take me seriously and try to improve. If you want some detailed advice about what you can do, feel free to instant message me on AIM. I'd be more than happy to try and help you get this to sound okay.

I'll second the lyrics sounding awkward at times. The harmony works well at parts put just sounds awkward at others. There are still some slight intonation and scooping issues too. The entrance at 2:48 sounds really out of tune to me, too.

this sounds a lot more solid. much more natural. you can really tell you've taken your time with the recordings. harmony sounds pretty good but i'd probably make it a little softer so that melody still stands out more. i think this has come a long way and will be done soon. kudos for being a good sport about all the feedback you're getting, whether its constructive or not :-)

Ughh, dude, you have no idea how wrong that is...

well everything that you mentioned about the piece was already addressed by other people who gave feedback. you really havnt been any help at all. there's a right way to say something and a wrong. no need to tell someone that sings for fun and is making an effort to improve her singing that "she sucks" which is basically what you said.