OCR00694 - Rez "Fear (Arrakis: GIGA)"

orkybash

Wow I'm suprised how many people dislike the Dune samples they're really what make up this song. I first downloaded the song ages ago before I had even heard of Dune, listened to it once and dissmissed as weird. Now almost a year later after having read the books but not seen the movie I love this song. It's one of the few that stays on my playlists all the time. BTW: Dune Rocks!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

awwww.. i don't like how my favorite part of this song is sooooo chopped up to the point where i can only hear tiny bits and pieces of it.. The part I'm talking about is first played at 1:33... In rez this part is explosive and uplifting not chooped up and looked over... other than that i think it's an okay mix.... btw.. where are th other rez mixes?

• 1 month later...
i don't like how my favorite part of this song is sooooo chopped up to the point where i can only hear tiny bits and pieces of it

Yeah.. i agree. That is by far the coolest part of the whole song, but it's been all scrambled up for this remix. Actually, i have yet to find a version of this song that has that part intact... even the official Rez soundtrack CD has it removed. I'm mystified as to how Mr 44 managed to get it at all

• 2 months later...

This is possibly my favorite song on OCRemix. I love the slickness it has along with the general bad-assedness that is usually missing from any vg remix. The best part about this remix though, is that it is the most mainstream-ish so it's a good song to spread the word with.

"Mainstream-ish?" Sounds far, far, far from it.

Besides the fact that Fear is an excellent choice for a ReMix, I really admire how well-placed the vocals are within the song. I know some people miss the "muh-muh-muh-mind killer!" part from the original song, but I think the well-timed "What's in the box? .......... PAIN!" works just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, being that Fear is my favourite song from Rez, good job for doing a remix of it. I like how you chopped up the "string section that everyone likes," and in answer to everyone's questions, it's actually sampled from a song called "California Soul" by Malena Shaw. Dune was a good choice. *thumbs up*

Frog

• 1 year later...

Just scanning through Reviews, I can't believe how many tracks I enjoyed and never commented on. Yet another mix here, this time by Mr_44, that made me take notice of the soundtrack and seek it out. And indeed, "Fear (Rez Edit)" from the original soundtrack kicks ass. Again, the quality of the ReMix prompting me to check out the the original soundtrack was a hallmark of a good arrangement. It made me want to know more about where it was inspired from.

Love the arrangement here, which caught my attention but also took me a little bit to really get a bead on in terms of the very unique style. I'm glad I gave this a chance, but really this was so odd and catchy, I couldn't have helped listening more than once.

Dunno a THING about the Dune movie. Never seen it. I once tried to read the book back in middle school for summer reading because it counted as 2 books. There was so much stupid sci-fi jargon that made me turn to the glossary every other word that I gave up after 10 pages. I certainly didn't miss much. But regardless, the movie clips fit really fit the atmosphere well and enhanced the almost sordid darkness of the arrangement. Allllways worth the listen.

• 1 year later...

I'm actually surprised that no one pointed out that this song was originally composed by Adam Freeland (which incorporates the Dune quotes) as a single, and the song was consequently remixed for Rez.

The Rez version is better than the original, though!

The remix caught my ear right away when I was going through it - the gating is pretty ear-catching and the original song was sampled ingeniously, but it was too much of a "tease" for me. I was really hoping for the orchestral hits to come through but that moment never really came.

I'm actually surprised that no one pointed out that this song was originally composed by Adam Freeland (which incorporates the Dune quotes) as a single, and the song was consequently remixed for Rez.

I'm seeing it used in Rez in November 2001, and the other version you're referring to released on Freeland's album Now & Them in September 2003. Is there anyone who can explain when "Mind Killer" originally came out?

• 8 months later...

I really hate movie samples pasted into techno, firstly because it sounds horrible and is no subsitute for studio recorded vocals. And secondly because its a fairly transparent coattail ride on the cult status and appeal of other media. There's a few mixes on the site that I find abhorrent for these reasons.

This, strikingly, isn't one of them. Because there's a musicality to how they are integrated into this; they don't merely hover over the music, they are the music. Of course, there's a few movie samples in there that I could have done without, but I have to say this surprised me a lot.

It's a sparingly made mix, but a really unique one. There's definately nothing else like this on the site, which is a shame, because I really dig the way this sounds. The chopped up, sometimes distorted approach does it a lot of favours, but what I like most is that it never falters from its strict techno-scene roots. This is much closer to trance-style electronic music than the videogame music scene, and the change in scenery is very welcome around these parts. I only wish there were more like this (though the movie quote mixes can stay in the god-forsaken past).

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00694 - Rez "Fear (Arrakis: GIGA)"