New TMNT Movie

Atomic Dog

When I first heard about this movie I heard that it was going to be a gritty and more like the original comics. Then I saw a preview and it looked like a cutscene from a budget PS1 game. Seriously, this is supposed to look good? The CG is absolute shit and the movie in general looks cheesy too. Granted, we're talking about TMNT here, but if you go to the theaters to watch this you have no sense whatsoever.

Oh yeah... disappointment. How I despise you. Movies sites said it was going to be that way when the idea came out.

When I first heard about this movie I heard that it was going to be a gritty and more like the original comics. Then I saw a preview and it looked like a cutscene from a budget PS1 game. Seriously, this is supposed to look good? The CG is absolute shit and the movie in general looks cheesy too. Granted, we're talking about TMNT here, but if you go to the theaters to watch this you have no sense whatsoever.

Exaggerate much?

Exaggerate much?

Obviously, but you have to admit the CG is extremely underwhelming. You'd think by now they'd be able to at least have decent looking textures and character models for the fucking main characters of the movie, who also happen to all look EXACTLY the same aside from their headband color. Now they are all shiny bright green gumby figures. The original suits looked a hell of a lot better, and honestly, most current gen console cut scene clips look better than this shit. It really looks like some cheap Saturday morning CG cartoon rather than a feature film.

This is a decent look into the TMNT thing:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/774/774796p1.html

The new TMNT admittedly isn't bad, but that new theme music seriously makes my head hurt.

I don't really care if the goofier, kids-friendly version is a semi-bastardization of the source material if it's going to do everything so much better than the ones that tries to copy the feel of the comics.

Went to see the midnight showing. Crowd was great. Movie was sick.

Mako's last movie : (

Good stuff all around.

INPUT TIME

Sweet. Mako is Splinter right? Couldn't think of a better role for him to play in that film. Gonna miss that guy...Avatar definitely won't be the same without him :-(.

Anyway, I'll probably see this in a week or 2...kinda excited for it, looks fun (if I wasn't busy last Sat, I would have tried going to see the advance screening).

BOSSA NOVA!

...Chevy Nova?

Aldo Nova.

Anyway, I have a feeling this is supposed to be hokey kids fun. I haven't seen one commercial yet that didn't present this movie with a light-hearted attitude. Of course, that's not really shocking. It's talking turtles after all.

It'd be interesting to see a serious take on this, but something tells me that at best, any seriousness is going to be momentary with the TMNT movie/cartoon side of things.

What's surprising is that the first live action movie actually had moments of seriousness throughout its presentation. Granted, it still was sold to kids, had plenty of kid moments and attempts at jokes (although I was pretty sure some of them were a little bit over kids heads, especially the latter part where Casey Jones reveals he's afraid of closed spaces and mistakes Donatello's response as calling him homosexual... I think), but it also had plenty of violence.

Splinter isn't just captured. He's beaten and put on display in front of teenage ruffians (who were all playing the awesomely corny game known as N.A.R.C). Raphael may not have gotten stabbed to death, but the Foot Clan did a good job of tossing his sais off the side and beating the snot out of him.

And the retreat to the summer house seemed pretty serious as the turtles had basically regroup after April's antique shop is burned to the ground and she loses her job on top of that.

So all in all, that movie was pretty dark. And Shredder's demise, though contrived and an "easy way out" to avoid watching turtles impaling him with weapons, still found a gruesome way to get rid of him. In a dumpster truck. With Casey "accidentally" hitting the switch. See... even Casey Jones was allowed to be a little edgy, even if it was snuck in there at the last 15 seconds.

Would be interesting to see the franchise try and take that kind of turn again.

What the heck? A thread moving from Offtopic to General? That's gotta be a first.

Can't say I approve of the title change though. Shame on you mods... removing my particularly chosen and well-thought out words. Shame shame shame on you. :P

I believe I was the first "victim" of this. A mere hour or two after I made the new freeware thread in OffTop, it was moved here (back when OffTop was just a couple hours old). EdgeCrusher's "How many songs" thread got moved last week, and SOC's "djp" thread was moved just a short time ago.

These mods... they're going power mad. Someone should put an end to their nefarious plans.

What the heck? A thread moving from Offtopic to General? That's gotta be a first.

Can't say I approve of the title change though. Shame on you mods... removing my particularly chosen and well-thought out words. Shame shame shame on you. :P

That was Arek's title. Blame him. Didn't he quit the evil interwebs anyway?

I believe I was the first "victim" of this. A mere hour or two after I made the new freeware thread in OffTop, it was moved here (back when OffTop was just a couple hours old). EdgeCrusher's "How many songs" thread got moved last week, and SOC's "djp" thread was moved just a short time ago.

These mods... they're going power mad. Someone should put an end to their nefarious plans.

You're not the first "victim". That's very ego-centric. And yes, we are mad with pow4r. You knew this already.

As for that movie...

That was Arek's title. Blame him. Didn't he quit the evil interwebs anyway?

You're not the first "victim". That's very ego-centric. And yes, we are mad with pow4r. You knew this already.

As for that movie...

Arek "left" here, but he's supposedly posting on Remod now. I believe he made a rather large post about wanting to continue being there.

And if I wasn't the first one to have their thread moved, who was? Inquiring minds like mine wanna know.

And it's "POWAH!" I believe :wink:

Drawing from Rotten Tomatoes, TMNT currently scores a mere 29%. One might think that bodes ill for this film but let's put things into perspective here.

The original Live action movie scored in total a 36%

Turtles 2 scored only a 20%

Turtles 3 scored a 29%

As far as the critic consensus collected on RT, TMNT is par for the course. So, anyone leery about seeing this film due to what the critics have to say, realize, they didn't like the original films either, and those are much beloved by fans.

I plan to catch TMNT this weekend and I'll post my own critique afterwards.

I just got back from seeing it. I actually really liked it. The interaction made the movie, though. The new evil enemy was lame as fuck. The animation looked like a cross between Transformers Beast Wars and Wallace & Grommit, but after a while it stopped irritating me.

It was definitely worth seeing and had its few moments of edginess. Go for it.