OCR00697 - Phantasy Star Online "Lobby Static"

Saunders

Phantasy Star Online 'Lobby Static'

If you've read through my reviews, you'll

know that I'm not a fan of static in mixes.

This song is no real exception, although

there isn't an abundance of loud static

in the song, which is good as far as I'm

concerned.

Now see, this is all personal opinion but,

to me, this song sounds like it's being

held back. There are some parts where it

seems the song is allowed to "shine through"

(examples: 0:40, 1:10) but these shining

moments don't last long before the song

seems to be subdued again.

Once again, only my opinion, but I felt

as though the song would have been much

better if, at 0:40 where the song was first

allowed to break through, it had stayed

above the static.

It just feels to me that throughout the

length of the song, it's struggling to be

heard, to be seen. Was this intentional?

Was Quinn Fox trying to portray this battle

between music and static that perceive?

Who knows.

Personal Rating: 2/5

• 2 weeks later...

:? Well done...

Well, being a huge PSO fan I am very bias, but I would like to express that I think the mix is excellent. I like it because there is a hidden deeper level that you have to listen closely to, and it gives me a certain feeling. It's kind of like listening to someone whisper. Though it's not the greatest remix I obviously liked it. The problem is, it is too short. It should have broken out into something more later in the mix. That would have been sweet, but it's still dece. :wink:

My Rating 3.5/5 Short, but sweet. Being a PSO fan, thanks for the coverage, more please!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brilliant.

This song uses colours I've never heard before, and achieves eternity in under three minutes. It defies 'music' and reaches cosmological proportions. It is not music of this Earth, but of some distant inhabited planet resembling the scapes of Dali, only with flying cars or something.

The percussion track is a little over the top in terms of manipulation, but that's quite alright given how magical (in the mycological sense) this mix is.

Ethereal and preternatural.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

heh I've been longing for a PSO mix but I can't even tell what song this is. I can faintly here the Lobby theme in some parts but I guess that's good enough for me. The rest is all sweet fuzzy noise which I highly enjoyed! Quinn goes a bit too far on changing around melodies but this is still a great song if you're not familiar with PSO music

• 2 years later...

Ah man, I remember this one vividly. This was around mid-2002 when I finally listened to all of the ReMixes available. At the time, this was newly posted, and when I checked it out, I found a new favorite ReMixer.

In retrospect with Quinn's style, probably heavy on some looooopz, but Quinn's the best at making any drumloop fit well in the bigger picture and not seeming slapped on. He really crafts the rest of the arrangement well, and there was nothing else like it on OCR.

A brief ReMix, but it definitely got me interested in not only Quinn's work, but also the Phantasy Star Online soundtracks in general. And THAT is what a successful arrangement can do. Old-school hotness. Remember to kick Rob for his evil leadoff review.

• 4 months later...

Short!

But decent, despite it's length. The grooves are strong with this one, and though things sound somewhat lofi due to the effects used, it's still an enjoyable track. The bass is pushed super far back though and it makes things a bit on the weak side.

Basically I think this would be a lot stronger if it was cleaned up, the bass was increased, and maybe some additional sections were added. The source is a good track, but as is, the mix is good but not great.

• 1 year later...

Short and sweet, bottom line. Very chilled mix in a strange way. The kick is very subtle and might use a boost, but I know this is Quinn's first addition to OCR. It still has a cool lush sound to it that I heartily enjoy. The drums getting a little repetitive, but the filtering helps a bit. Cool synth choices that give it an OCR retro feel. Since the piece is short, there's not much more to say but good job!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00697 - Phantasy Star Online "Lobby Static"