OCR00698 - Street Fighter EX plus α "Pullum Summer Trance Mix 2002"

Saunders

This may very well be some of the best trance that OC ReMix has seen. The atmospheric reverb creates a suberb environment that makes you feel submersed in the music. And there is another issue, the music itself is particulairly amazing. I am absolutely infatuated with this base line. The only thing I can see that does get a little annoying is the cymbal crash is a little over used, then again I have never really much cared for cymbals anyways. Others may see the use of the cymbals differently. Great work Ryu7x, keep it up.

When I heard it, I thought, 'wow. This is a good remix of the original'

There are only two things that I disliked about it.

1) The bubble thing going on in the background. It sounded, I dont know, sorta wierd and out of place.

2) The cymbal noise was a little overused.

Thats just me, other people may like the bubbles/cymbals but aside from these, it's a really great track.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

0:24 - 1:00 is absoultely beautiful, when you lose the kick drum and let the harmony go in, then build it back up to the lead at 1:00.

Then when you fall out into the harmonics at 2:24, I nearly died. That is some truly soul-warming stuff there for the next bit to 2:54. The syncopated stuff that kicks in there is a smidge too much edge, especially on top of the "bubble" in the drum line, but I can deal with it. 2:54 -3:36 is my least favorite of this piece, but it's just that I'm getting old, I guess.

The rest is great however, especially the deconstruction from 4:48 to the end.

SFEX+A was one of my favorite PSX versions of the SF genre, if not for beating the crap out of people with the ultimate master of cheese, Skullomania (Skullo Slidaah into SKULLO DREEEEEAM!) but for the outstanding music.

8/10.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Lets see, this make it the 8th time I've played this song in a row. Heh, you should listen to it through the Chronotron plugin for Winamp, keyed all the way down to -600, and tempoed down to 60. Puts a whole new spin on things.

All in all, excellent piece, even though I have not heard the original. Kudos.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I will reiterate that this song is just cute. Techno, bubbly, quirky, and cute. Octave bass is a great way to start the song, nicely done there. The bubbled synth is a bit strange, and also very present. Perhaps a little overpowering.

Some of the syncopated stuff begins to sound strange, but I feel like I was focusing too much on it. Perhaps if I have the song more background it won't feel so strange.

Fun mix, good job.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I remembered Ryu7x's works fondly from the VGMix era. They may have had a more simple way of writing trance even back then, but there were often moments of just plain lighthearted cheesy fun to be had with them. :mrgreen:

Though, given that this is indeed a 2002 track arranging what appeared to be a more complex fighting game based source than the usual, considerations are indeed taken in regards to writing and articulation. Indeed, the arrangement does show itself to be straight-forward, but enough extensions have been done to the structure to give in that more full-fledged touch to it.

While the samples themselves feel wonderful for their time, they do indeed seem to age in regards to the articulation and presentation as nothing much had been done towards the synth texture, and this is made even more evident with a severe lack of punch during the fills. I can however compliment on something in regards to the production - the enveloping on the swelling strings at 2:25 were a cool touch and managed to pass in a more engaging texture.

So indeed it may have shown its age, and may even be more cookie cutter now than it was back then, but it's a simple track that provides a set of fun towards arranging Pullum's theme and should be worth checking out if you're a fan of the game/source. Very sweet work :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00698 - Street Fighter EX plus α "Pullum Summer Trance Mix 2002"