Issues with Pro Tools LE

Okay, so I just got the Pro Tools Ignition Pack (MBox 2 and P.T. LE 7.0) and I hooked it up as per the enclosed instructions. However, as I was recording (using a Roland ep-5 digital piano), Pro Tools seemed to not be picking up the recording. In fact, in the region area where time had been consumed for recording, there was nothing recorded there.

Yes, I had the volume up. No, my speakers weren't/aren't muted. Yes, I set the gain so that clipping wouldn't occur. Yes, the mix knob is balanced to hear both input and playback.

I suppose it would help if I listed my system specs, just in case someone else has this problem and a similar setup:

Windows XP Professional SP2 [sadly not Genuine, though I don't know how having non-Genuine Windows would be an issue]

AMD Anthlon XP

1.09GHz

512MB RAM

VIA '97 Audio Controller (VDM) [i've got this weird feeling that my sound card is an issue -- Heck, I don't even know what I've got]

Philips MMS 223S/17 w/Built-in Radio

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Digidesign MBox 2

Pro Tools LE (7.0)

Roland ep-5 Electric Piano

Monster 5' 1/4"-1/4" cable

I'd really like to know just what's going on with this thing. $450 is a big loss for a product you can't take advantage of.

And if someone else has already submitted something about this, I'm sorry for spamming. I searched around the OCR ReMixing threads but found naught.

You may have alluded to this, but I want to clarify: before you start the recording and when you're in the recording status (i.e. the "R" light is blinking but you haven't started the playback), do you hear anything coming out of the speakers? I'm assuming you do if you're able to fix the gain meter so that it doesn't clip.

However, if you can't hear it and your doing it just from sight, then you'll need to check the output of that track/channel and make sure it's being routed out of the Mbox outputs. You can do that thru the mixing window and thru the sequencer window if it's displayed.

You may have alluded to this, but I want to clarify: before you start the recording and when you're in the recording status (i.e. the "R" light is blinking but you haven't started the playback), do you hear anything coming out of the speakers? I'm assuming you do if you're able to fix the gain meter so that it doesn't clip.

However, if you can't hear it and your doing it just from sight, then you'll need to check the output of that track/channel and make sure it's being routed out of the Mbox outputs. You can do that thru the mixing window and thru the sequencer window if it's displayed.

I didn't allude to it, but yes, I had set the track for recording status. The light was blinking. What I can hear coming out of my headphones (I should probably hook my speakers in) is what I'm playing on my keyboard.

The output is being routed out of the MBox outputs. In fact, I can hear myself playing through the MBox (via headphones/speakers, of course). But what I'm playing isn't being recorded.

I'm trying again just this moment but to no avail.

And just to clarify, I'm plugged into the TRS jack. And I have the MBox set for the TRS/Mic jack.

How many tracks are you using? Just the one right now or are you using a master fader or an AUX tack?

Just one instrument track, though I suppose I could throw in a few... useless, more or less, tracks.

I wonder if the track type has something to do with it. I can't trust instruction manuals with no troubleshooting on an issue like this.

Oooooooo, an instrument track and not a Mono audio track?

Could that be it..? I'll give a Mono audio track a shot and see if it works.

The manual said instrument track, though I may have misread it.

EDIT: It worked! Thanks so much, Tweek. My music shall read across the boundaries of the Internet to you as soon as it can.

To my knowlege, instrument tracks are only for midi. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Also, with an instrument track, you have to have a sample or a VST loaded to have any sound at all. Pretty much, it's just a midi track whcih is why I believe that is the reason it's only for midi keyboards.

The Xpand! plugin is the new one from Digidesign

To my knowlege, instrument tracks are only for midi. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Also, with an instrument track, you have to have a sample or a VST loaded to have any sound at all. Pretty much, it's just a midi track whcih is why I believe that is the reason it's only for midi keyboards.

The Xpand! plugin is the new one from Digidesign

Okay, cool. I'm glad I got this working, thanks to your advice. I can finally kiss my crappy Line-in on my sound card good-bye.