SampleRemix Contest #4!

Rellik

I just found out about this competition at KVR:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172132

It's called a Remix contest, but really, it's a composition contest - they provide you with a sample pack which is basically a very limited collection of synth stabs, sound effects, 3 very useful drumloops (perfect slicing fodder), and assorted other short samples, and you create any song you want! You can use any effects you want, but you can't introduce any new material - i.e. no synths, no outside samples, you can't record anything, etc.

I found it incredibly fun creating my entry (in a total of ~6 hours), so I thought I'd share this with you OCR folks in case you want to participate. The deadline's March 31st, but you'd be surprised how fast composition goes when you're dealing with a limited sampleset. Also gives you a chance to show off your tricks more than your average compo ;) and showing off tricks is the perfect way to pick up some new ones, from the superfluous to the fundamental.

In case anybody's curious, here's my entry:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~alederer/Rellik_-_the_wired.mp3

(when I time-stretched the Am_chord sample it sounded like it was saying "the wire", but I edited it so that it sounded like "the wired" - it still sounds more like "the wire", though, but I like using a Lain reference more than I like calling it what it sounds like. Plus people will hear "the wired" once they see the title!) And yes, the lead is totally inspired by beej's Fragments of Gold.

I encourage anyone who's even remotely interested to enter - it's a lot of fun, and there are even one or two decent prizes!