How Often Do Remixers Look At This Forum?

Thin Crust

I can only speak for myself too, but this is probably the 4th or 5th time I've ever even looked in here. So no, I've never really done remixes from this forum.

I think it's fine to have a request forum, but for the most part, there's little motivation for me to come in and look at a stranger's post who wants a remix of a track from a game that I don't even know, usually.

I think it'd be more effective to approach an individual personally and present a source to them, and simply ask if they'd be interested in doing it for you. Not that it'd be a guarantee they'd do it, due to time constraints, obligations, etc, but it's more personal, and more flattering, and thus more likely IMO to get your track mixed.

I can only speak for myself too, but this is probably the 4th or 5th time I've ever even looked in here. So no, I've never really done remixes from this forum.

I think it's fine to have a request forum, but for the most part, there's little motivation for me to come in and look at a stranger's post who wants a remix of a track from a game that I don't even know, usually.

I think it'd be more effective to approach an individual personally and present a source to them, and simply ask if they'd be interested in doing it for you. Not that it'd be a guarantee they'd do it, due to time constraints, obligations, etc, but it's more personal, and more flattering, and thus more likely IMO to get your track mixed.

I occasionally browse through here looking for inspiration, but the requests don't seem to fit what I want to do... I'll occasionally throw a "I'll try it out, and see what I get" into a thread because it seems do-able... But it usually doesn't work out... It seems the Requests forum is more of a "REMIX THIS SONG", being replied to with a "NO, PICK A NEW SONG OR A NEW STYLE"... And usually they just get ignored

I'm not exactly a seasoned remixer but I occasionally look in here. However the fun in rearranging game tunes is partly the familiarity with the tune and the game itself. I don't find it very interesting to just work on themes from games I've never heard of. Maybe though, some people have looked in here and have been reminded of games they've forgotten about, or something along those lines.

I look in here. Sometimes people will have overlooked a certain ReMix that already happened, in which case I try and point them in the right direction.

As far as actually taking a request... never been bothered. If someone were to "request" some guitar tracks for their own remix, I would almost definately respond though.

Whenever I come to OCR, I come strait here.... Iv done more remixes for OCR requests than I have alone (not including PRC compo entries). I dont necessarily finish the mixes, but I'l happily make a 1 1/2 minute mix just for a quick challenge or something to do.

What I dont like is that the requester usually has the peice planned in their head, and if the remixer doesnt give them exactly what they want they can get whine-y. Additionally, when I'm done with a mix, I loose all inspiration to keep working on it, and sometimes I get suggestions for improvments I just dont wanna take up.... no demands, I just feel guilty for ignoring them....

Oh... and a little gripe from a remixers point of veiw.... If your going to request a song, post links to it please. I dont really want to spend time hunting for a request only to go 'not my style'.

I havnt been to OCR in a while though, Iv been working on my album (which is now finished, yay)..... LETS GO FIND A REQUEST!!! :D

Whenever I come to OCR, I come strait here.... Iv done more remixes for OCR requests than I have alone (not including PRC compo entries). I dont necessarily finish the mixes, but I'l happily make a 1 1/2 minute mix just for a quick challenge or something to do.

What I dont like is that the requester usually has the peice planned in their head, and if the remixer doesnt give them exactly what they want they can get whine-y. Additionally, when I'm done with a mix, I loose all inspiration to keep working on it, and sometimes I get suggestions for improvments I just dont wanna take up.... no demands, I just feel guilty for ignoring them....

Oh... and a little gripe from a remixers point of veiw.... If your going to request a song, post links to it please. I dont really want to spend time hunting for a request only to go 'not my style'.

I havnt been to OCR in a while though, Iv been working on my album (which is now finished, yay)..... LETS GO FIND A REQUEST!!! :D

Heh yeah, points for actually reading/listenning to us whiners :P though.

I hope this is the place to ask this. What I want to know is, do remixers really get inspiration or take ideas presented in the requests page? And if so, how often will they actually create a mix based on ideas posted here?

Hardly, but I peek here every now and then. I have submitted (unaccepted) remixes twice. the second time, the only problem was this: it was said to have sounded too much like the original, but my friend Malcos believed it was fine.

I can probably speak for a lot of people when I say that inspiration doesn't come easily. There are very few prolific remixers on the site (at least, that I know of) who are constantly remixing music and have a large number of completed tracks. For those who do remix a lot, it's probably fair to say that nearly every remix they make is from a game they've played. Identifying with the song, not just musically but contextually within the game it comes from, makes it easier to understand the piece and can help inspire new directions to take it in.

For me personally, I look through the requests forum once in a while just for fun. If I came across a piece I knew and liked, I'd consider remixing it. The reason why I haven't submitted any remixes or even WIPs is that I'm really good at getting inspiration for jazz remixes and not good at all in other genres. With jazz, I can often hear all the parts I want in my head, but don't have the technical ability to pull it off, particularly with instruments I don't play (especially drums) and with instruments for which I don't understand enough to get to sound authentic in a jazz manner (particularly trumpet). I listen to so much jazz and am a perfectionist, so it's just depressing to hear something and know what it could sound like if played by a group of good musicians and compare that to what I can do on my own.