Cheapist way to record guitar

Synth

Yup. I'm looking for the cheapist way to record electric guitar.

I'm guessing a good way to go would be to get a Floor pod

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Floor-POD-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150446

200$ and allready set up for recording. Or I could just go for a standard POD, but I dont play on using any of the sounds in either(hope thats possible), just using it to record.

I also have a shitty soundcard, not sure what it is, but its nothing special or ment for music production. Although it does have midi. I would rather I dont buy a soundcard for a while if I dont have to.

So, anyone have any input on this? Or a even cheaper or better way to go?

StealthPlug by IK Multimedia is the cheapest. Guitar cable and USB audio interface all in one.

Well. I'm not sure if that will do what I want it to do. On the site it said "plug your guitar into your computer as if it was an amp". Thats not what I want. I want to be able to use my amp, my effects with out any computer effects junk.

Well. I'm not sure if that will do what I want it to do. On the site it said "plug your guitar into your computer as if it was an amp". Thats not what I want. I want to be able to use my amp, my effects with out any computer effects junk.

why did you bring up the FloorPOD in the first place, then? that has no mic inputs, you know..

but if that's what you want then as has been suggested, get an SM57 + decent audio interface. the Line6 TonePort if you want something guitar oriented.

or perhaps do you mean you want to record direct from your amp's head rather than mic the cabinet? be more specific about what you're looking for and you'll get better answers.

cheers.

or perhaps do you mean you want to record direct from your amp's head rather than mic the cabinet? be more specific about what you're looking for and you'll get better answers.

cheers.

Direct. Thats what I was getting at. :P

try to be clear on that next time, menso.

my combo has no outputs so i've never had an opportunity to record direct from the amp, usually i'll record direct from my guitar or mic the cab.

so you know what kind of outputs your head has? i assume there is a mixer (line-level) output and a powered output (stay away from this!!!!) that you can connect to a cab.

if you have a mixer output then any cheap audio interface should do, but like i said i have little experience with that -- hopefully someone else can chime in.

I to have a combo with only a head jack.

From what I got from the toneport, and pod explanations is that you set it up like this. Amp>effects/guiar>guitar>pod>computer for a direct recording.

that makes no kinda sense. how do you go FROM effects TO the guitar?

If you're micing:

guitar -> effects -> amp -> mic -> pre-amp/mixer -> sound card

direct via amp (not recommended):

guitar -> effects -> amp -> DI box -> sound card

direct via toneport (or other cab sim hardwares):

guitar -> toneport -> sound card

suzu, heres how my setup is. My amp goes into my chromatic tuner>chrous>distortion>overdrive>distortion>wah>Guiar.

Why is direct recording not a good idea?

So I guess the best way is just to suck it up and just use the toneport without effects/amp?

Well what would I need to mic it? A mic, mixer?..

suzu, heres how my setup is. My amp goes into my chromatic tuner>chrous>distortion>overdrive>distortion>wah>Guiar.

Why is direct recording not a good idea?

So I guess the best way is just to suck it up and just use the toneport without effects/amp?

Well what would I need to mic it? A mic, mixer?..

I assume you're just going backwards, from amp to guitar, in which case the signal is guitar > wah > distortion > overdrive > distortion (two distorion boxes?) > chorus > tuner (horrible idea to have the tune last in the chain, especially after a modulation effect. I suggest you put it first in the chain, right after the guitar. Even better would be to use an A/B box after your guitar, so the A signal goes to your effects/amp and the B signal goes to your tuner.)

There's nothing wrong with direct recording. Direct from your amp doesn't seem like the best idea though, unless it's a nice tube amp. Then you can just use a nice software cab simulator/impulse for a realistic sound.

If you're going to mic your amp, you need a mic (duh) and some kind of audio interface with XLR inputs. I suggest a cheap USB sound card like the M-Audio USB.

In the end, I'd have to say that the best option for you right now would be the Stealth Plug. It's relatively cheap, and the Amplitube 2 Live software is pretty amazing. It'll sound way better than micing any solid state amp with a mediocre sound card in a bad room.

I assume you're just going backwards, from amp to guitar, in which case the signal is guitar > wah > distortion > overdrive > distortion (two distorion boxes?) > chorus > tuner (horrible idea to have the tune last in the chain, especially after a modulation effect. I suggest you put it first in the chain, right after the guitar. Even better would be to use an A/B box after your guitar, so the A signal goes to your effects/amp and the B signal goes to your tuner.)

There's nothing wrong with direct recording. Direct from your amp doesn't seem like the best idea though, unless it's a nice tube amp. Then you can just use a nice software cab simulator/impulse for a realistic sound.

If you're going to mic your amp, you need a mic (duh) and some kind of audio interface with XLR inputs. I suggest a cheap USB sound card like the M-Audio USB.

In the end, I'd have to say that the best option for you right now would be the Stealth Plug. It's relatively cheap, and the Amplitube 2 Live software is pretty amazing. It'll sound way better than micing any solid state amp with a mediocre sound card in a bad room.

Aww yeah, didn't know I was saying it backwards.

Well, the overdive is more of a distortion than overdrive(boss blues driver)so I have 3 distortions. I have no idea how set up an effects chain. what should be after the turner?

Well, my amp is the Vox valvtronix which is an hybrid.

The main reason why i'd like to use amp and effects is becuase i've put a lot of money into them. And it would kind of seam like a waste if I just ended up using for example the stealth thing instead.

Does Amplitube have something like digitechs whammy pedal?

oh and what do you use to record with sixto?

Generally the tuner goes first in the chain (after the guitar that is). Generally, you want to have volume effects (wah, volume pedal, gain boost) first, then distortion, then the amp, then modulations and reverbs like chorus, delay, reverb and all that jazz, and finally, the cab. Some guitar amps have an FX loop, if yours does, that's where you plug in your modulators and all that. Generally.

But generally, the guitar and tuner are always first, think of it in terms of what the tuner is picking up. If you have a chorus pedal BEFORE the tuner, then the tuner will be wrong, because a chorus pedal pitch shifts the signal ever so slighlty to acheive that sound.

Generally, the way I have my setup going, is Guitar->Wah->Mixer->PC->Amplitube2. If you already have a wah pedal, you can use it the same as always with software based amp modelers like Guitar Rig or Amplitube. Generally.

p.s. Generally.

Aww yeah, didn't know I was saying it backwards.

Well, the overdive is more of a distortion than overdrive(boss blues driver)so I have 3 distortions. I have no idea how set up an effects chain. what should be after the turner?

Well, my amp is the Vox valvtronix which is an hybrid.

The main reason why i'd like to use amp and effects is becuase i've put a lot of money into them. And it would kind of seam like a waste if I just ended up using for example the stealth thing instead.

Does Amplitube have something like digitechs whammy pedal?

oh and what do you use to record with sixto?

A good idea when using several distortions and overdrives is to put them in order from lowest gain to highest.

With a Valvetronix, you don't even need the effects or the tuner, since they're built into the amp already.

Amplitube does have a pitch shifting pedal like the Whammy, but as far as I know, the only way to control it is using IK's Stomp IO foot controller, which is probably going to be pretty expensive.

I actually record a few different ways. At home when I don't want to go through alot of trouble, I just record direct. Guitar into Presonus Firebox and I'll use VSTs like Guitar Rig 2, Amplitube 2, and Revalver MKII. If I need something a little more organic, I'll use one of my tube heads in the signal. (Guitar > Tube head > THD Hotplate > Firebox > cab sim software) And finally, when only the real thing will do, I'll setup a speaker cab inside my isolation box with a few mics, get everyone out of the house, warn the neighbors, and record at wall-shaking volume.

Do me a favor and check your amp for every input and output and tell me what they are. I'll be able to help a little more knowing exactly what you have.

My valvetronix does not have a tuner. And I bought the effects becuase it dose not have that great of a way of switching effects with the foot pedal.

The amp obviously has the guitar input, power, line/headphoes, and the footswtich input.