Increasing a laptop's MHZ

Ninja-san

First off i dont know much about computers nor its hardware

And the point of this thread. Im trying to install World of Warcraft on my computer but currently I have 792 MHZ and i need 800 to run it. So the questions are:

1) Is there anyway i can increase my laptops MHZ without having to buy a larger processor (which probably cant be done..)?

2) Where i could get a cheap processor

3) how do you install it into a laptop

Thanks ahead

First off i dont know much about computers nor its hardware

And the point of this thread. Im trying to install World of Warcraft on my computer but currently I have 792 MHZ and i need 800 to run it. So the questions are:

1) Is there anyway i can increase my laptops MHZ without having to buy a larger processor (which probably cant be done..)?

2) Where i could get a cheap processor

3) how do you install it into a laptop

Thanks ahead

If your PC is telling you you have 792 MHz then it's probably an 800 MHz processor.

1) You can overclock, but that largely depends on processor, laptop manufacturer, etc

2) Anywhere

3) You don't

How do you overclock?

You most likely have a Pentium 3 in your laptop soooo...you dont.

No really, its impossible. Your motherboard was not designed for anything like that, and most likely does not even have it as an available option.

I doubt World of Warcraft has the capability to determine your exact processor speed and refuse to run if it's less than 800 MHz. More likely, 800 MHz is what they suggest you'll need to run WoW. Keep in mind that you'll need a fairly good graphics card on your machine if you want to go to any of the areas in Outland.

If you're not sure about the performance, a lot of stores are now selling 14-day trials for WoW for a couple dollars. Buy one and try it out before you buy the full version of WoW. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade from a trial account to a full account once you get the full version of WoW, so you wouldn't lose any progress.

If your laptop really is an 800MHz box, I doubt it'll run WoW. Combined with a slow CPU you most likely have an onboard videocard that's comparably worthless for 3D.

Alternatively, where do you get this 792MHz report from? If it's a more recent laptop, it most likely has some form of speed-stepping in order to keep its operating temperature down(As in: Slow down the CPU when there's less work to be done, speed it back up when there's more) Because of this, some utilities and Windows itself might incorrectly report the CPU speed.

Your best option for checking beforehand is googling the laptop's model number(Printed on the bottom) and finding the official specs for it.

• 4 weeks later...

You're pretty well boned, but if you've got some a cash you *might* be able to find a ibook or powerbook fairly cheap now that apple's moved to intel processors. I have a powerbook G4 1.5Ghz and I know it runs world of warcraft *QUITE* well.

-Technikal