FF7 Cid's Theme!

Paladin

Ok, this is an early WIP at the moment. What I would really really really like your advice on is whether or not the 20th century section I've started near the end of the remix fits with what has come before it. Obviously the ending of this WIP is nowhere near the final ending, but I would appreciate some opinions about whether to keep the comtemporary orchestral idea or scrap it.

By the way, from 2 mins 25 onwards there's over a minute of silence. Just stop playing it after this point. I obviously did something wrong during the rendering process.

Anyway, please feedback.

Alex.

LATEST VERSION: http://www.martin2k.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=995

Things to fix:

Might just be me but I think you have way to much reverb on your percussion, sounds like I'm in a cave. Could sound a little cleaner, maybe another go at mastering would bring out things a little more. The part around the middle when it picks up the pace, you can barely hear that synth, i say bring it out, and bump up your kick a bit. It also doesn't have an end?...and like a minute of silence at the end. anyways lol.

The choir you added was a really nice addition! and your choice of bass was nice. I liked how this contained symphonic elements from the original yet had an electronic flavor to it. Good transitions as well.

fix a few of those problems listed, give it an ending and i think we are good to go, nice job ;)

DJ Tetsusaiga, thanks very much for your reply.

I have now bumped up the synth lead volume, but I'm not too sure about the kick volume. Perhaps you were listening to it through headphones?

Can I get a second opinion on the reverb level please? It's just that the reverb is going across the whole mix and blends everything together. If I take away from the reverberance, things just don't seem to sit right.

However, what I would really like to know is whether or not the section that begins at roughly 2 mins 11 secs fits with the rest of the remix (or at least what I've done so far). Any feedback on this would be fantastic.

Xela! This is awesome. I'd meant to comment on this before.

The section at 2:11 only lasts a couple seconds, but is that what you're worried about? I really liked it, was hoping it would keep going. :D That bit definitely had that movie score from early to mid last century sound going there, sounded great--such an appropriate style for Cid's theme and all the images of early aviation it conjures up. And the DnB-ish break at 1:30 was surprising but fit very well. Overall this is just smokin'. Love the concepts and the strange yet excellent blend of ideas. Can't wait to hear more, man.

You asked about the reverb...I'm a bit of a reverb hater, so take this with a grain of salt. :P To me the reverb sounds a bit too heavy overall, but moreso on certain elements. I would rethink putting it on the master buss--at least take it off the kick entirely and ease up on the snare (both for the kit and the orchestral rolls). Reverb is killing the attack of the drums, and while the mix is very smooth, there's some crispness and attack missing that saps the dramatic flair/energy a bit. I know what you mean about it holding the mix together, but another layer of strings or a synth pad underneath everything (maybe alternating amongst various sustained washes of sound) could do something similar, without damping the character/bite of everything. You definitely still need some degree of reverb on most of the instruments, but I tend to think that lighter is better, and controlling the cohesiveness of the mix with another sound can be more effective.

It's probably largely a matter of taste though, so again, YMMV.

Anyway, keep it up, Xela. Great stuff here, I'll be watching for updates. :D

You asked about the reverb...I'm a bit of a reverb hater, so take this with a grain of salt. :P To me the reverb sounds a bit too heavy overall,

I second this, heavy reverb is something that I find too much, everywhere.

But I really don't mind it in this song, the plus's suriously outweigh the minus's (if there are any).

Dual Face, Leah and James, thanks very much for your replies. You don't know how much I appreciate your feedback. ^_^ Your replies were very useful.

Below is an update. It is obviously very different (and hopefully complete). Some major updates:

- It is now about 5 minutes 20 secs long!

- I have reduced the reverb level significantly.

- I have altered the snare sound (not the orchestral one, the main electronic one).

- I have fattened up the beats in the DnB section.

- Synth lead in the DnB section is a bit louder

- I've added compression accross the whole mix (but please let me know urgently if you get any crackling from the master level being too high). And no, I didn't bump up the master volume as far as it will go Leah xD

-----

If there's any other major things you think need fixing please let me know. Other than that, this is quite possibly the final version that I hope to submit to OCR asap. 'Course I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while to read any new replies and if necessary make changes to my remix.

On a more frustrating note, the bitrate is only 28kbps because the file size is so damn big. What's more the rendering to mp3 is taking the best part of an hour in FL Studio 7. It used to take less than a minute when I was using FL Studio 4. :/

Anyway, if you've read all of this reply I thank you. Here's the link:

http://www.martin2k.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=903

I'm really digging this piece. The only thing I could think of is the transitions between the sections of the piece. I think if you could find a way to make them flow together more instead of going silent between them, it would help improve the overall flow of the piece. Also, the ending seems a bit abrupt. Other than that though, good show!

edit:

After listening to it again, I think I have a few things to add. The synthy part that kicks up around 1:35 is definately my favorite part of the piece. When you transition out of it at about 2:12, the section you transition into feels too short to me. I think (going back to my comments above) if you could figure out a way to blend that into the section that start at about 2:25, it would sound a lot better.

The section starting at about 4:10 is another part I really like. Listening to the sections between it and the earlier parts, I start to wonder if it all fits in with the overall feel of the piece. I think maybe some of the slower parts detract somewhat from the overall flow of the piece, so it might actually sound a bit better and to the point with them removed. I'm just conjecturing though, I wouldn't know for sure without hearing it that way. They might actually be necessary in order to pace the piece correctly. Either way, I think it might be worth trying out.

http://www.martin2k.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=885

Ok, this is an early WIP at the moment. What I would really really really like your advice on is whether or not the 20th century section I've started near the end of the remix fits with what has come before it. Obviously the ending of this WIP is nowhere near the final ending, but I would appreciate some opinions about whether to keep the comtemporary orchestral idea or scrap it.

By the way, from 2 mins 25 onwards there's over a minute of silence. Just stop playing it after this point. I obviously did something wrong during the rendering process.

Anyway, please feedback.

Alex.

I think that this is superb and has amazing potential...real nice! keep up the good work man!

Thanks all. I appeciate your feedback. I think I need to have a serious think about structure, because I also feel that it all sounds too detached, with very different sections that don't seem to link up or flow.

Every single post has been very useful and inspirational. Thank you again!

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit busy with other stuff lately. But I really appreciate your interest Cloral.

I've just re-read your post and I'll try cutting out the slower section(s) at some point.

But I promise I'll get another version up here by Christmas. ;P Seriously though, everyone here has extremely helpful, so thanks again and look out for the next version!

EDIT: btw I had to take the WIP down from my host due to space issues. If any one wants me to send it to them please PM me, thanks!

This is unusual... I guess I liked this mix much less than everybody around! =/

As a whole, it got potential, but as it is now, it sounds more like a pack of remixing ideas glued together. You need more harmony and transition between the different parts of it. Probably it's intentional and it's just me that don't like this style. BTW, I love Cid theme.

Anyway, I'll try to give some comments:

(1) 0:00-0:39 - Weird drums, also give them some variation

(2) 0:40-0:49 - I liked this

(3) 0:50-1:10 - Some good arrangements used in here

(4) 1:11-1:30 - It feels like out of place... (I don't liked much anyway)

(5) 1:31-2:10 - Don't know exactly what to say; maybe with some development could be nice

(6) 2:11-2:22 - Yuck!

(7) 2:23-3:03 - With a better atmosphere this would be great

(8 ) 3:04-3:14 - What?

(9) 3:15-3:47 - Again, give some extra development in here

(10) 3:48-4:42 - I think the same as (5)

(11) 4:43-5:12 - (2)+(3) =)

Sorry for being so generic... I can't do better than that! I hope I was helpful!

Till the next version! ;)

This is unusual... I guess I liked this mix much less than everybody around! =/

As a whole, it got potential, but as it is now, it sounds more like a pack of remixing ideas glued together. You need more harmony and transition between the different parts of it. Probably it's intentional and it's just me that don't like this style. BTW, I love Cid theme.

Anyway, I'll try to give some comments:

(1) 0:00-0:39 - Weird drums, also give them some variation

(2) 0:40-0:49 - I liked this

(3) 0:50-1:10 - Some good arrangements used in here

(4) 1:11-1:30 - It feels like out of place... (I don't liked much anyway)

(5) 1:31-2:10 - Don't know exactly what to say; maybe with some development could be nice

(6) 2:11-2:22 - Yuck!

(7) 2:23-3:03 - With a better atmosphere this would be great

(8 ) 3:04-3:14 - What?

(9) 3:15-3:47 - Again, give some extra development in here

(10) 3:48-4:42 - I think the same as (5)

(11) 4:43-5:12 - (2)+(3) =)

Sorry for being so generic... I can't do better than that! I hope I was helpful!

Till the next version! ;)

I appreciate your post ocremixfan.

Some of your feedback has been very helpful. In fact, I'm thinking of cutting a section or two completely and even adding new bits in.

Anyway, I'll post another version soon.