PRC91: Once Upon a Time in a Chasm (Cave Story) [Results]

Rexy

The remixing stage is over. The voting stage has begun! To vote, you send me a PM and in that PM you rank all remixes from first to third. Contestants don't need to place their own entries as they will automatically get a first place vote. The vote of the winner of PRC90 (myself) has a vote that counts for double. You have until Tuesday, April 10th at 5PM EST to cast your vote. The winner will get to choose the source material for PRC92!

ZIP Archive

Chavous - Spelunking

Chickenwarlord - Fried Circuits

Xela - Do the Robot!

The People's Remix Competition 91

PRCv4-13

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! PRC90 kept the string of quiet turnouts, resulting in myself having to choose another source tune. What PRC needs at this rate is something that can help tow in a wider and more familiar audience as well as the potential of the source material.

In that case, we are going back to PC territory, though not in the usual commercial sense. We're going for what is arguably the best freeware game ever made!

prc91.png

I've seen in the past year or so that this game gained quite a lot of reputation on the remix front, what with an entire remix project dedicated to it and the inclusion of two arranegments from that game on OCR. Taking the experience from those into account, it's fair to see how far we can go with the source music as provided by this title.

The score, among various other aspects, have been tweaked and finalised by Pixel over the past five years to create the game that we see today. On top of that, those that seem to come around to playing it have often reacted very positively to the end result.

We can also take into consideration that the aforementioned remix project didn't quite cover every song in the game, and there were a few potential ones that I would have liked to see covered. This one, being played in the Egg Corridor stage (how appopriate for Easter!), is one of the more simplistic numbers that I thought could have got some instant coverage, with some strong melodic material and a justifiable length to make this more than appropriate for at least the remix project. Happy mixing!

Cave Story - Mischievous Robot

MIDI | MP3

I don't even know how to end this blurb... happy nine days left of giving up for Lent?

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. There is no limit on entry format or file size, but length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in this thread by NEXT SATURDAY, April 7th at 4:59am Eastern US Time. Alternatively, you can also email your submissions over to submission@doulifee.com, though it would also help if you put forward a reminder in the thread.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. The winner of the previous contest may not enter an eligible mix, but his/her vote will count double.
  7. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

Doulifée's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifée, and we'll help you out.

What PRC needs at this rate is something that can help tow in a wider and more familiar audience as well as the potential of the source material.

Actually, all PRC needs is to be allowed to be ran in GD or...general community or whatever. This and ORC have been around awhile, and when they were there....everything was fine...look at both now, ORC has been given up on by TO, and PRC isnt having any decent sized turnouts.... and we all know why....this is a tiny little sub-forum that noone really looks at, the topics dont show on frontpage when new posts are made, so they are forgotten.....

im sure others will agree...and a few might not...but there need to be moved back where they belong.....NOT HERE

yeah things aren't really better. The only thing that is better now is that I don't have to go to page 2 to find a thread. But nothing has changed and I don't really see a benefit.. on the contrary...

But then again, this isn't a democracy, so noone cares about what you think :grin:. In the meanwhile I will continue to support them cuz really, thats the only thing that keeps me coming back here now.

There is a point in that there is little to no front page support. But seriously, what can be done about that? The least that can be done is if people do their part and start advertising the competition and whatnot.

Even if that is a contributing factor, that didn't stop PRC88's prowess and end up with eight entries in total. I still think it depends on the strength of the source rather than the general exposure, though some good advertising backup could be of some benefit or other.

Man, there are times like this when I miss Nineko.

What I think would be cool is if we could have the last X active topics from the Competitions forum linked on the front page of the site. Does Reviews really need to be linked there? It either duplicates links to recent remixes that are already in the sidebar/"Previously on..." sections, or links to random old remixes that someone decided to post a one-line comment on--kinda redundant and unnecessary.

That or, just allow people to customize which modules they see on the front page, and maybe make Competitions--and WIPs, imo--the default sections along with Announcements and Community Discussion, while getting rid of Reviews. People could change it to whatever they prefer. Having this forum and WIPs linked more prominently could encourage more substantial interaction/musical productivity in this community. Since the forum restructuring, it kind of feels that things are becoming more segregated and neglected, and that the unofficial music content on both aforementioned forums is slowly languishing from lack of attention.

Has anyone spoken to DJP about this? Maybe someone could point him to this thread or others that explain our concerns. Or post your thoughts in the 2007 State of the ReMix thread where DJP asks for input - link on the front page.

edit: Actually, I'll try to post something about all this on the SotR thread, but probably the more people who voice their thoughts, the better!

There could be a sticky in the Gen Disc (Community Thread) for compos. Where the compo leaders could post the current theme/source for their current competition. This would allow people who visit GenDisc to get a heads up on the current compos as well a main stream source of information to help garner participation and voting in the different compos. Just my idea on a method to the madness.

That or, just allow people to customize which modules they see on the front page, and maybe make Competitions--and WIPs, imo--the default sections along with Announcements and Community Discussion, while getting rid of Reviews. People could change it to whatever they prefer. Having this forum and WIPs linked more prominently could encourage more substantial interaction/musical productivity in this community. Since the forum restructuring, it kind of feels that things are becoming more segregated and neglected, and that the unofficial music content on both aforementioned forums is slowly languishing from lack of attention.

Or you can make it randomized.

By the way, AWESOME SOURCE TUNE. I've heard so much about Cave Story but never bothered to check up on it at all. This song is amazingly remixable, especially for my favorite style. I'll see if I can pull a Jammy AlternRock/pop song out of this...

The contests are more relevant to the site, and more important to the OCR community (and the remixing community as a whole), than gen disc. They get lost and ignored here, when they should be plastered all over the front page to encourage and involve remixers and remind everyone that this is a music site, not a gamefaqs forum offshoot.

I think there's a lot of things that could affect the trends of popularity here, and ultimately we need not be concerned about the competitions all being in this little competitions cranny. I mean really, if people want to mix it they're going to mix it. I haven't missed checking out a single source tune since PRC17... (Except 2 or 3 during an internet disconnect of a month or so) I know I always mean well.

Maybe if mixers encouraged other mixers to come out and compete against eachother it'd be more likely to happen.

Perhaps a lot of OCR remixers don't even realise that remixing competitions such as PRC exist. Especially if they are not forum regulars and just come to OCR every so often to check out new remixes or submit their own.

As for me, I'll enter this PRC without a doubt. Haven't listened to the source yet, but I'm determined to enter whatever it sounds like. :P

It's the easter holidays, so I've got no excuse not to enter. :D

So I have a WIP..and I'm really liking the way it sounds...but this melody is amazingly difficult to work with. I don't quite know how I'm going to work with it..but we'll see. I'll at least have a semi-completed WIP by the end of this.

this melody is amazingly difficult to work with.

Seriously! I've heard this track probably hundreds of times while playing the game and know it pretty well...but I'm just not hearing anything in my head while listening to it. :( It's a pretty full arrangement as it is, reasonably varied bassline, nice harmonies...I'm just blanking on this one. Meh.

Will be quite interesting to hear everyone else's mixes though.