Help settle a dispute!! Dizze Rascal? Popularity Q

whatfruit

This is mainly a question to anyone who doesnt live in the UK.

But how many people know of Dizze Rascal. Me and my mate were down the pub talking about the Uk Grime VS US Hip hop gangsta rap debate.

Dizze Rascal is best artist on the UK grime scene but we were wondering, how many people outside of the Uk have heard his music or know who he is?

If you dont know Dizze is here is his I luv U video on youtube

Any feed back would be greatly apprectaited.

SI

I posted this on the general thread but it probs should have gone here.

This is a question to anyone who doesnt live in the Uk and possibly europe.

Me and my freind were down the pub discussing what was better UK Grime VS The US hip hop Gangsta Rap.

I put foward the argument that Grime was far better than hip hop which my freind repiled that if it was so good why had it not taken the US storm.

Dizze Rascal is the best Grime artist who won the mercury Music prize in 2004.

I was wondering how many outside the Uk know who dizze Rascal is? 2nd have they heard his music?

anyone intrested in hearing him here is a link to his I luv U video on youtube.

any feedback would be helpful cheers.

Well, the new form of hiphop today is called "Snap" music. (Groups like Dem franchize boys"). I can show you a few samples on Youtube. Snap takes on various forms of hiphop, but has a certain rhythm that makes it distinct.

As for gangsta rap, another form of hiphop, I can show a few examples of those as well. To us, that sounds like a mix of midwestern-ish hiphop and techno.

This is what alot of today's US "snap" hiphop sounds like.

i've heard of the rascal but i'm not a really huge fan of his stuff. but if you're going to argue UK vs US you should know that gangsta rap isnt the most popular type of hip hop in america anymore. with all the new southern rap thats coming out and the fact that its soo easy to write that kind of garbage, america is shifting more towards the southern flavor. even artist from up north are taking more southern approachs to hip hop, such as MIMS and fat joe. but the REAL hip hop in my opinion is the stuff that you'll hear from lupe fiasco, clipse, nas, kanye and the roots. and as for down south rap, outkast, ludacris, TI and lil wayne have created their own style so they are on a whole different level than the rest of them...... whats this thread about again???

This thread is about UK's popular rapper "Dizzee Rascal", who's basically unheard of in America. I never knew about him until I read this thread. it's a comparison between US and UK styles.

i've heard of the rascal but i'm not a really huge fan of his stuff. but if you're going to argue UK vs US you should know that gangsta rap isnt the most popular type of hip hop in america anymore. with all the new southern rap thats coming out and the fact that its soo easy to write that kind of garbage, america is shifting more towards the southern flavor. even artist from up north are taking more southern approachs to hip hop, such as MIMS and fat joe. but the REAL hip hop in my opinion is the stuff that you'll hear from lupe fiasco, clipse, nas, kanye and the roots. and as for down south rap, outkast, ludacris, TI and lil wayne have created their own style so they are on a whole different level than the rest of them...... whats this thread about again???

Well, Lupe Fiasco can rap, but I wasn't feelin' 85% of his CD (personal opinion mixed w/ a little fact). I liked most of the rappers you named. It seems that alot of the conscious rappers lack punchlines and catchy phrases. Just b/c you're rappin' deep doesn't mean that you have to be corny!

I have a serious talent in music (production, rap, writing/poetry, etc.), and I'm on a quest to "get up". I'll be the real type, but I gotta' have that diversity in my music.

This thread is about UK's popular rapper "Dizzee Rascal", who's basically unheard of in America. I never knew about him until I read this thread. it's a comparison between US and UK styles.
Correction: It's the "Ramones vs Sex Pistols" debate, but updated for 2007 by replacing punk bands with hip-hop artists.

I Luv Dizzee! He's leadin the flag for UK Hip-Hop/Grime!

He's done tracks and remixes for the likes of Chamillionaiire, Beck, UGK and has also toured with the Red Hot Chillis', Justin Timberlake and even N.E.R.D.

There is another rapper more internationally known I reckon. His name is Sway, and he's done a few Cyphers wid US rappers like Lupe Fiasco.

SO UK Hip-Hop and Grime are makin a movement for themselves, but I think there are UK artists out there who are better lyrically. Search for Plan B, Klashnekoff or Skinnyman... Reppin' it.. UK STAND UP TALL...

I prefer popular UK rhythm/style over the popular US styles (that said, I dont know all subgenres). I prefer the way the words roll, the sounds, mostly the bigger focus on the melody rather than the beats (from my observations)

Given a choice, I'd take the 'Streets' ... nice melody + clear (not too crisp) beats + nice lyrics with a fairly abstract flow. Though I dont know if he classes as hiphop really....

This is mainly a question to anyone who doesnt live in the UK.

But how many people know of Dizze Rascal. Me and my mate were down the pub talking about the Uk Grime VS US Hip hop gangsta rap debate.

Dizze Rascal is best artist on the UK grime scene but we were wondering, how many people outside of the Uk have heard his music or know who he is?

If you dont know Dizze is here is his I luv U video on youtube

Any feed back would be greatly apprectaited.

SI

Yeah, I've known about Dizzee Rascal since his debut album (Boy in da Corner), what, 4 years ago? For several reasons, I preferred his debut album over his second. So, is that all you wanted to know?