OCR AG 3 : Hyper Street Fighter II

Arek the Absolute

Hello and welcome to the Overclocked Remix Arcade Game tournament thread!

Even though the AG2 Tournament is not complete, both EasyP and I agreed to have Hyper Street Fighter II as our next game, so I decided to make the next competition active and ready to go!

As stated above, this month's game is Hyper Street Fighter II.

In this tournament, we shall be doing the "round robin" format. Rules are simple for this. Default settings are mandatory.

You will be playing best 3 out of 5.

We will be using an emulator called Kawaks, a cps1/cps2 and neogeo emulator. It has its own netplay option that does not require lan, so we do not need to worry about using Hamatchi. You can use whichever server fits you best to play your matches on. East coast should use "anti3d", while the West coast should use "fragbox". These two are the best for both coasts, and should help to minimize desynching and ping issues.

imageay6.png

Sign ups end on the 16th, but that doesn't mean you can't start today! Since it is round robin, you can still sign up even if the tournament is in progress, so don't be afraid to sign up and join in on the action.

Practice hard and come out fighting!

Past AG Tournaments Winners:

AG1 (King of Fighters 2000)- EasyP

AG2 (Street Fighter Alpha 3) - Arek/EasyP *Yet to be finished*

So speed 2? Speed 3 is tournament standard, but that's cool I guess.

I think that Arek and EasyP want to keep things default as much as possible to avoid a lot of confusion on the part of participants. I mean, up until last night, some people didn't even know they could access the test menu.

Slower speed encourages more strategy over twitch movements. The more practiced players on high-speed will just play and do everything fairly automatically, but when you crank the speed down you have to think a little bit more, and that levels the playing field some between the experts and the noobs. APEX and EVO really aren't trying to level the playing field at all - they want the best of the best, and the learning curve for high-speed is a lot higher than it is on low.

But we have other issues. We're not pros. We're not even in the same room. Lag will end up dictating a lot of things, and this is really what bugs me - YOU can't control how well you connect to your opponent. I mean, I have ping of 5 on fragbox. FIVE lousy milliseconds.

I wouldn't mind playing on slowest speed (you guys heard my shit about slow low-damage 3/5s in Alpha3), but the default settings really end up being the best. Besides, EasyP and Arek want to have their own Vacaville cock-fest playing the Alpha 3 final, and they can't really do that if they have to ask Scandia for the keys to the cabinet.

Slower speed encourages more strategy over twitch movements. The more practiced players on high-speed will just play and do everything fairly automatically, but when you crank the speed down you have to think a little bit more, and that levels the playing field some between the experts and the noobs. APEX and EVO really aren't trying to level the playing field at all - they want the best of the best, and the learning curve for high-speed is a lot higher than it is on low.

Slower speed doesn't encourage more strategy, it just gives you more time to react is all. You use the same amount of strategy at the higher speeds, it is just as you said requires more skill. Also, in Hyper Fighting you choose the speed before every match, hitting right to move from the number 2 to 3 isn't something I think would trip up the noobs too much, but it really isn't that big of a deal, I am just more comfortable at the tourny standard higher speed.

Come on Kamoh. I'd think by now you'd realize I'm pretty much automatically in all of these.

SIGN ME UP!

(Even though I'm not sure which sf this is. Is it Turbo?)

1) I have you in the table at the bottom, ready to copy and paste. I just haven't actually copy and pasted you.

2) It's the anniversary edition "Hyper Street Fighter 2" that came out in 2004.