OCR01584 - *YES* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 'Turd Surfers'

Liontamer

chumble spuzz

Marcellis Wentz

action8ob@hotmail.com

http://marcelliswentz.com

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time

Sewer Surfin'

Finally. I can't even remember when I started this mix, but I'm finally at a point where I can call it done. I've always enjoyed the TMNT soundtracks, ever since the overworld theme from the first NES game, but this one stands out to me for some reason. Maybe because it's a bonus stage with tons of pizza in it. Maybe it's the "my toes!" reaction when one steps on a mine. I dunno. Suffice to say, this has been a long time coming. So, without further ado, the link:

By the way, and for clarity's sake, I'll mention that I changed the remix name from "WasteBoarding" to "Turd Surfers" because tefnek and zircon's collab is named "Waste Water Wipeout." I figured it would be better if the names were more dissimilar. And also because I think "Turd Surfers" is really funny, and still relevant! Everyone wins! :)

Oh, and hearty Nice Work on the Ice Cap Project. It made my sunny Seattle morning.

-marcellis

Source - SPC - 06 Sewerage

Wow, this is loud. Pretty consistent clipping throughout... Not sure if we wanna require tweakage on that in the event this is passed.

Well, right off the bat, this has some great energy, and in the spirit of "Sewerage" pretty darn fun to listen to. Just by the sound, I can guess that you probably had a lot of fun making this tune (I hope so anyway). Very TMNTish indeed. I'll admit the synthetic guitar bugged me a wee bit, but not to any substantial degree. I especially enjoyed the funky shuffle switch-up at :51. Solo at 2:06 showed good sequencing and definitely did a great job keeping the energy flowing. Drumwork was solid throughout. Haha, and then ending, with the cross-panned dialogue was amusing.

I really think this is a great example of mix personalization. Though the theme isn't all that different from what the source conveys, there's plenty of expansion upon the original. I'd personally like to get a render that's just a couple notches down the volume slider before this one is go, should the rest of the vote follow mine.

YES

As far as the title goes, I personally don't think "Wasteboarding" and "Waste Water Wipeout" are too similar, but it's your call, so I suppose "Turd Surfing" it is... :P

Yeah, it's not clipping but it's overcompressed since the last time I heard it. This needs to be toned down. Also the bass is too loud by about 3-4db so I really think this should be reducd as well for the final thing.

Overall this is really cool. I liked this since the first time I heard it on the WIP forums and I gave the mixer a decent amount of advice to shape it into an OCR-worthy sub (though I didn't get the chance to crit it one more time). Lots of great sequencing, high energy, and a totally SICK guitar solo. The voice samples were close to gimmicky but didn't cross the line. I also appreciated the quotes of both the new AND old TMNT show themes. Props on that! Arrangement has tons of personalization so this is good to go.

Good job again (just fix those production complaints real quick)

YES

ps. "Turd Surfing" is worse than Wasteboarding :P

Edit: As of 4/12 the primary production complaints I had were fixed.

Good drum sequencing, and strong bass parts. the writing as a whole is pretty good, but there's very little going on dynamically. It's overcompressed. The vocal samples are very hokey, as are the guitar samples.

The writing is good, but i'm going to wait to hear some more dynamic subtlety. lets fix that compression.

NO

Great arrangement, despite some very cheesy drum/bass/guitar samples. Sequencing saves this, plus you've got a good understanding of the nuts/bolts of how the different elements of an arrangement should interact. Basically, that's some great part writing.

Were this my mix, I would've left the voice samples out, but whatever man.

YES

edit: I also think you should've gone with wasteboarding, fyi.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=tit - "Sewer Surfin'" (tit-06.spc)

Why'd you name this "Turd Shitters" or whatever? Agreed with the others that "WasteBoarding" was fine. You're not infringing on anyone's past work in any way.

Mixed a little too hot, the treble's pretty sizzly, and the volume could stand to be pulled back a bit. Sounds way better just dropping the volume a bit.

The samples suck :-D, but the part writing was indeed pretty good. Drums at :50, followed by the bassline at :51 are all super thin. There really should be more meat on this.

Nice little cameos of "Big Apple, 3 A.M." at :58 and "Going Up" at 1:05.

"Cowabunga!", "Hey!", and "Pizza time!" were coo, but "My toe!" had to go, it was incredibly lame. I give you credit for more hits than misses. Awesome comping-style writing from 2:06-2:43 intertwined with the TMNT theme, before going back into Sewer Surfin'. Last voice clips at 3:21 could have sounded less mono and hard-panned, but whatever.

Lacks a shitload of polish on the production side, and frankly sounds rather ugly in spots on account on it. The arrangement's got a lot of heart, but I need less treble sizzle and more beef with the sounds so that the track isn't this thin. There's a fair amount of work involved in making the writing comprehensive, and that's duly noted. But on the production side thin and loud is always a lackluster combination.

Less sizzle will fix this enough, IMO. Shouldn't go up until some final tweaks. The revised version is 224kbps, so this can't go up as is anyway. Do it for posterity's sake. Protricity's sake too. His nose hairs will thank you for it.

YES (conditional)

• 2 weeks later...

Let's start by saying that I strongly approve of the title of this remix. Much like Samuel Jackson only acted in the movie because it was called "Snakes on a Plane", so am I only voting on this remix because it is called "Turd Surfers".

Onto the mix. First of all, I don't like the snare or the drums in general. I think you could've used something a bit more heavy for this kind of mix. The synths are drowning the mix in my opinion. The bass and drums seem to be buried beneath all the synth work. It's not too bad. But balance is the key difference between "liking" a mix, "loving" a mix and "creaming pants" over a mix.

The arrangement is hot like Larry in Alaska (the snow just melts 'neath him) so that carries this into a yes vote from me.

I'M SICK OF THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' TURTLES IN THIS MOTHERFUCKIN' SEWER!

Turd Surfers unite.

YES